WSOP Final Table Thread

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thoughts on some hands:

dennis phillips played the AK vs. AQ hand so astonishingly badly. that donk 1/4 pot lead into the 4bettor on the wet board texture looks like exactly what it is. dennis is neever ever in a million years doing that with AA/KK or a set. dennis always either bets big when he has the joint, or he checks to slowplay. still, it took a ****load of guts for ivan to push his double gutter under that kind of pressure. i don't agree with his 4bet preflop though, after dennis limp-reraises, AQs shrinks

the way craig and scott went out were both pretty brutal, even though the percentages weren't hugely in anyone's favorite pre-flop. just the way the board came out combined with all the money at stake and the psychological mind**** of it all. such a sick 1 outer! and he called it too!

ylon's laydown with the K-high flush was great. i thought about the hand, and i totally understand why he did it. when ivan raises the turn, he's really polarizing his range between the nuts and air. Q high flushes and worse are just obviously never raising because they stand to get action only from better hands and fold out all worse. so once he does that, combined with the suckbet on the river, it looks like it's almost impossible for it to be a bluff. given the aforementioned polarization, he has to have exactly the ace of hearts there incredibly often. so much so that i don't know if the board pairing even mattered that much

ivan's laydown of top two pair to the very aggressive eastgate had me floored. the way the hand played, that was really amazing

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a shame that we couldn't see more of the heads up match. I listened to it this morning (3am EST) and it was fascinating. Eastgate got up to a commanding chip lead but Demidov chipped away at it until he got it back to less than a 2:1 disadvantage and the momentum clearly going his way.

The there was that hand we saw on T.V. that took him back down to 30 million in chips. From that point on it seemed like all the wind went out of him and he gave up.

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to say I **LOVED** this final table and found this experience really exciting. This is the first time I've watched the wsop ME without knowing who wins it and I found that absolutely thrilling. Banner job by ESPN and should they do this next year (I hope so) I am throwing a Super Bowl like party (yes you all are invited).

P

Phil922

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was a great final table
It was ruined for me though, cuz when I went to comcast.net it showed winner on the slideshow so :(

daxter70

daxter70

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a shame that we couldn't see more of the heads up match. I listened to it this morning (3am EST) and it was fascinating. Eastgate got up to a commanding chip lead but Demidov chipped away at it until he got it back to less than a 2:1 disadvantage and the momentum clearly going his way.

The there was that hand we saw on T.V. that took him back down to 30 million in chips. From that point on it seemed like all the wind went out of him and he gave up.

yeah..it was a great HU duel, and went on for couple of hours if not more?? (am i correct?) and up and down. i watched and listened into the AM and kept WSOP up on cpu and had all the hands played out when i cked around noon today to see who won...:cool:

showing two hands of HU did not do these two guys justice...:mad:

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah..it was a great HU duel, and went on for couple of hours if not more?? (am i correct?) and up and down. i watched and listened into the AM and kept WSOP up on cpu and had all the hands played out when i cked around noon today to see who won...:cool:

showing two hands of HU did not do these two guys justice...:mad:

Agreed. This was the longest FT in history at 14+ hours and they crammed it all into 2 hours, not to mention the HU portion which lasted like 2 hours in reality and 2 hands on TV. I really thought the duel between Demidov and Eastgate diserved it's own hour long show.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Speaking of doing this again next year...my thoughts are that only if the ratings turn out to be decent will this happen again.

Most of the players did not seem to secure too many patches on their shirts/hats outside of the normal poker site ones. Kelly Kim and David Rheem had some .org patches for Fallen Heroes and Dennis Phillips had a local St. Louis car shop patch.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agreed. This was the longest FT in history at 14+ hours and they crammed it all into 2 hours, not to mention the HU portion which lasted like 2 hours in reality and 2 hands on TV. I really thought the duel between Demidov and Eastgate diserved it's own hour long show.

Agreed. It was one of the more entertaining final tables in recent memory. ESPN could easily make 4 or 6 hour long episodes out of that final table and heads up play. I'm surprised they didn't. They are REALLY hurting for programming.

C

checkoutcardschat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was, IMO, the most exciting final table I have ever seen. Mostly due to the fact that I did not know the results prior to the broadcast.

I literally stayed away from any news sites for the last 36 hours and told all my poker friends not to spoil it for me.

I hope the ratings are high because after seeing this final table I can't imagine watching the ME FT done any other way.

Also the bad beats and amazing luck by Eastgate were something to see.

I was surprised that no one was able to secure any patches of any significance. i really think that speaks volumes about the need for poker to have a champion that can represent us to those advertisers. Unfortunately, this year its not to be as I don't see Peter Eastgate being that person (I think Dennis Phillips could have been the one- oh well).

do you think the WPT would consider this approach when they do their $25K WPT Championship (i know their TV deal now does not include the broadcast of the WPT Championship). That would really be something to see.

One thing yesterday's broadcast really emphasized for me was how incredble it would be to appear on a WSOP ME FT (not just for the $ either:eek: )

P

pozzy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Anybody know where you can find the entire payout list??

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree in that the HU match was not properly shown on TV. I watched the two hands then went online to see how the match actually played out. I think even 2 hours of FT coverage up to HU followed by an hour episode of the HU match would have been better than using an hour for a "preview" of all the players, since we've been seeing this stuff for months now.

R

RAMARAIDER

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Im glad Eastgate broke Phil's record. I lost respect after he made that nothern european comment. The pros don't realize how online players are surpassing the field.

Cowboy8112

Cowboy8112

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best laydown ever!

Ivan Demidov raised UTG with AT. Ylon Shwartz caled OB with KQ.

Both turned a flush, Shwartz King high and Demidov the nuts. Somehow, Shwartz was able to sniff him out and didn't even call a suck bet on the river. He's probably finding out only now what an amazing laydown that was.

That laydown would even make Daniel N say "Damn thats scary"

P

ProGuy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wasn't that impressed with the final table, the hands they showed were just big hole card action. They certainly didn't show players bobbing and weaving with less than premium hands...that's where money in won in poker, not waiting for premium hands.

It looked to me that Eastgate got LUCKY on the gut shot wheel and the junk fullhouse hand before that. I thought this final table just proves how much LUCK factors into winning poker...

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im glad Eastgate broke Phil's record. I lost respect after he made that nothern european comment. The pros don't realize how online players are surpassing the field.

I had to laugh that the next person on the scene when he said that was Gus Hansen - hmmmm Northern European anyone lol :D

The PoolBoy

The PoolBoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Blinds were the highest they have ever reached in this years tourney. Even though the Field isn't the largest. Are the days of hyper aggro poker giving way to sensible controlled aggression? ESPN coverage was so cut down. Would of like to see more hands being played. Liked the almost live format though. DVR is my friend was able to watch in 85 minutes,

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it almost seemed to like schwartz and phillips just gave up and donated their chips at the end, especially schwartz when the board was dangerous enough that he should have known better and he had like 30 big blinds left. for all the hype though, it was a pretty big letdown. they played all day and this is all we get on tv? hu was only 5 minutes or less of tv time??? if this is the best they can do, give it to another network and expand the coverage. it was not at all what i expected.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it almost seemed to like schwartz and phillips just gave up and donated their chips at the end, especially schwartz when the board was dangerous enough that he should have known better and he had like 30 big blinds left.

For what it's worth, no matter how much you love poker, playing as long as they do does eventually wear you down. When I played in the '06 WSOP Stud H/L, I could not wait for the last 30 minutes before the dinner break started. And that was after 6 1/2 hours of play. And I was doing ok and having fun at the time.

So even though these guys have had 4 months off, to sit there and go through another 12 hours with only about 80 some hands and all of the presure of trying to win $9 Million, yes, they are going to make mistakes.

pokerdog283

pokerdog283

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to once again congratulate all the great players and some great final table play and would like to congratulate eastman on the win and demidov for having a great year!! looking forward to next year already!!:cool:

B

bigpick76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes demidov and eastgate actually played for 3+ hours heads up and espn showed 2 hands............i kno u guys are saying how much you liked it but me myself i didnt really care for the way ESPN edited and aired it i myself stayed up the night b4 and listened live to the final table and the next night the heads up and there is soooo much poker that ESPN could have shown and it would have been great...........does anyone kno how to obtain an unedited end to end DVD of the final table????

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but when diemdiov went all in with a-q there was absolutely no way he had phillips beat. and it was conceavable phillips had aj, so i don't really see whats so great about that.

um that's called a bluff. a semibluff actually

and if phillips is going to play AJ that way with the retarded donk-lead probe bet, he's doing so to fold it to a shove. it's actually glaringly obvious he would have folded AJ, assuming he could ever show up with it there. look at the way the hand was played, specifically preflop. every single person able to hand-read who was watching the hand live put demidov on AA or KK. every single person

then add in the pressure phillips is under not to be the first to bust out after having the chip lead for 3 months. he could EASILY fold QQ or KK there

B

bigpick76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but as far as schwartz "just finding out now" how big his K flush laydown was..............NO WAY he knew right then and there it was the 2nd nuts if there was any doubts about him thinkin demidov didnt have the A its a snap call but what makes the laydown that much bigger is how aggressive demidov is for me that would have been one of those hands i told myself "if hes got it hes got it" and i would have lost the pot but i guess thats why schwartz was there and i was sittin on my a$$ in front of the t.v. watchin him.............but great laydown nontheless

WSOP