WPT Championship and the state of Poker

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the WPT Championship $25,000 buy in going on right now at the Bellagio, the total entrants this year was 338, which is down from 545 last year. A huge drop off for one of the more prestigious titles in poker.

AFAIK, very few sites send qualifiers to the WPT Championship, so the drop off can't really be explained by that.

I'm wondering if the economy is beginning to hit some of the more well known poker players and keeping them away from a $25K buy in.

It should be interesting to see what the wsop's $40K NLHE buy in draws.

diamond_06_06

diamond_06_06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it is just affecting the pros, but also the amatures (both the rich ones and those who satalite in). The Aussie millions tournament this year had alot fewer entrants as did the pokerstars Australasian tour events. I think this is a trend that will continue for a couple of years before it once turns around again.

W

wd021

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the pros aren't the main group being affected buy the economy. The make money for a living playing cards. Its not like they're losing jobs, maybe some from sponsorships etc. I think the decrease in entrants is due to rich amateurs who are no longer willing to spend 25k up against a field of pros.