Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ShowMaster14

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watched it few times to understand how the action started pre-flop but it seems to me that he slow rolled his set of fives!! he knew the guy didn't have straight or draw to straight with 96 and his not holding 66s or 99s !! So if his holding AK, thn why not go all in on the turn !! ?? Even if he has a set of 88s or 77s, what are the chances of having a set over a set, even tho its possible.

So I think that he played his hand wrong and put himself into bad situation by letting the river get there hence, why he had to fold which is not a wrong play !!

In general I wouldn't let to see the river if its a drawing board and even if I did, this seems to be a cold calling river !! Cos sometimes you have to take risks by calling or even flipping!

mariel619

mariel619

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this has to be one of those thinking too much situations.
after watching again he was scared about losing chips
more so than what was taking place in the hand,
im sure the betting had to have a pattern that showed he was ahead

D

djmg0289

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Friend

excellent video that's bad luck not to win with good cards such as:mad: :)

R

Rinor81

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this has to be one of those thinking too much situations.
after watching again he was scared about losing chips
more so than what was taking place in the hand,
im sure the betting had to have a pattern that showed he was ahead

I agree and said it earlier.

Too much thinking and analyzing made him lose his original plan with this hand I think, and then he was almost all-in if he would have called, which meant the end of the tournament for him if he lost the hand...

A

aolguin3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think there is anyway I would fold. If he hit a better set I don't think Im able to get away and there is no flush and the only way to get a straight is with a 69 or 64 which I don't think he would have played it if he raised pre flop. There is still information missing but I don't think I would have ever folded.

R

Rinor81

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think there is anyway I would fold. If he hit a better set I don't think Im able to get away and there is no flush and the only way to get a straight is with a 69 or 64 which I don't think he would have played it if he raised pre flop. There is still information missing but I don't think I would have ever folded.

You can get more information about the hand at the comments section of the YouTube video page, as Howells (the player who won the hand) offered his insight and description of the entire hand himself :)

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how do u fold this hand

I was looking at ep 4 of the wsop main event when i saw this hand.
https://youtu.be/G2zfREM0p3Y?t=788 look at this hand at around the 13 mark.
now before i go on they are showing from the river howells made a river bet of 244,000 punting kamutzki all in and he decides too fold im asking anyone would u fold what kamutki had in his hand

2easy4ninja

2easy4ninja

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
damn mind games :<

so much times lose premium pairs < set

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even based on his own reasoning, I think this is a bad fold. He says he could only be up against AA, KK, or AK. But there are more combos of AK in the deck than AA and KK combined. This combined with the fact that he's getting better than 3 to 1 odds on the river means it's a call in my opinion.

Definitely call! You are already ITM! If I lose set to set. So be it! Shake hands with every one and move on to the next tournament.

C

Corey Ingram

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
generally, I am pretty bad at folding. If I thought he had AA or KK I would have laid it down for my tournament life. No way would I think he hit a strait. I just don't see that hand being played in a manner that would be believable.

skavenger

skavenger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ours! but I did not understand why the set 's face was so the tilting ?I will definitely follow !

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
THE BOARD: 5 8 K 7 A (i have top two, that's great)

If it was me holding the AKo i think that i'll take in consideration the player's profile first, was he playing a lot of pot (LAG) or he's a solid tight player (TAG)

*for the LAG profile: there are 9 combinations that give him a set (3 of fives + 3 of eights + 3 of sevens ) + 8 combinations for the straight (4 of 46s + 4 of 69s ) didn't take in consideration the 46o and the 69o (32 combination 16+16) cause in this stage of the tournament it's rare to see this kind of play.
So there are 9 + 4 + 4 = 17 combinations that beat my 2 pairs.

*for the TAG profile: There is one combination of AA and one of KK, 2 combinations that beat me.

if it is a tag player probably i will call in this spot especially ITM.
if it is a lag player i will fold. i have chips wait for better spot.

MARE12KING

MARE12KING

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, we can't see on this video what happened before river...

But I can understand this fold. It was hard decision, but possible pocket Kings or Aces or even straight of his opponent would be the reasons why that guy folded. Even some higher set than fives :)

R

Rinor81

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, we can't see on this video what happened before river...

But I can understand this fold. It was hard decision, but possible pocket Kings or Aces or even straight of his opponent would be the reasons why that guy folded. Even some higher set than fives :)

We talked about it previously in this thread...he started analyzing too much, got confused and then the fear of being eliminated caused him to fold a hand that should have called with...

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Exactly! I don't know what he was waiting for to be honest. That's a snap call to me. If you get beat set over set, then so be it. If you're not going to call that hand, then what would you call with?

R

Rinor81

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly! I don't know what he was waiting for to be honest. That's a snap call to me. If you get beat set over set, then so be it. If you're not going to call that hand, then what would you call with?

It's like Esfandiari told him:

1. It's very hard to make a set, so if you have a set you're probably good

2. Sometimes you have to go bust...take the risk

S

Sall

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is allways hard to tell what you would have done, unless you were in his shoes. It depends on so many things, and it is always a bit of a gamble to read your opponent in some cases. I guess I would have folded, because there were too many chances he would have beaten the set of 5's. Would you take the risk and perhaps loose everything?

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I honestly don't know how I'd've played it. They'd played down to 293 players, and the final 1000 finish in the money, so I'd have a pay day regardless.

If it were simply a financial decision, then it's basically a free roll: either your little set holds, or you get snapped off by a likely set of eights here.

However, who remembers who finished the WSOP in 293rd place? No one! If I wanted that bracelet, a place at the final table, the glory, I may very well have made the same decision: the set of fives aren't good enough to call off your stack and eliminate yourself from the tournament.

R

Rinor81

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly don't know how I'd've played it. They'd played down to 293 players, and the final 1000 finish in the money, so I'd have a pay day regardless.

If it were simply a financial decision, then it's basically a free roll: either your little set holds, or you get snapped off by a likely set of eights here.

However, who remembers who finished the WSOP in 293rd place? No one! If I wanted that bracelet, a place at the final table, the glory, I may very well have made the same decision: the set of fives aren't good enough to call off your stack and eliminate yourself from the tournament.

Have a look at this hand, you think the video here was interesting (and it was), have a look of one of the hardest calls in the tournament so far...

Last edited by a moderator:
T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WOAT fold. He's getting 3.5 to 1 with a set, surely he is good here at least 22.5% of the time. As stated above they are also ITM, and the payjumps are not massive compared to the BI at this point.

S

Sall

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was indeed a very difficult one. I think if Holz said immediatly all-in when De Silva checked after the river, instead of waiting and thinking about going all-in, Da Silva probably would have folded. Holz would give the idea of having the best hand. That being said, I think I would either way have folded. It took a lot of guts of Da Silva to call! Nice job

johnxaitafe

johnxaitafe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cant fold there.there are no flushes,full houses or straights so the only hand you have to fear is a bigger set.the term bad beat can hardly describe the situation when you lose with a set from a bigger set and generally is a hand that happens almost never.it is least more likely to lose with 4 of a kind from a bigger 4 of a kind,so what im saying is that generally,you can never fold this hand in this specific video

rensks

rensks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a really difficult decition, but maybe in that position i wouldnt fold... but man... saying here is way different than doing that there.. there is a bunch of feeling in the middle..

R

Rinor81

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a really difficult decition, but maybe in that position i wouldnt fold... but man... saying here is way different than doing that there.. there is a bunch of feeling in the middle..

Yes, especially when it's for your tournament life

B

botbol1980

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
can't see the video

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
WSOP Folding in Poker