Would you consider poker a sport?

9peso

9peso

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we treat poker as a strategic game in which we use the ability to recognize the emotional state of another person and practice stress resistance, in my opinion it is no different from chess, which is considered a sport.

AndyFio

AndyFio

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately, now poker is not a sport and I think it’s because of the big role of luck in it, but I think poker needs to be made a sport, because there are many examples where luck also plays a significant role (golf or snooker)

Luckybvby777

Luckybvby777

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
AW
Chips
No poker is not a sport its a a game, Sport is any activity that primarily requires physical ability to perform. We call someone playing poker a player not an athlete.
But athletes that play in a competitive sports and are called players right? when active in the game right? Seems a little misleading. It's like saying Nascar is.t a sport because your just driving when so many physical elements are involved. The most i.portant attributes for me in any sport that is the most valuable ware the ones you can't see. Ex. Fatigue, discipline, endurance, emotion are all major stats for me. Just my opinion. Appreciate the discussion ✌️

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes, it is a sport with elements of luck, although we have no control over the cards received, it depends on our mental ability and reading the game to make the best decision based on statistics.

That is why it is considered a sport with elements of luck.

F

fapMaschina

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BA
Chips
I'll type as much or little as I want to type. Sometimes I'll feel like explaining things in more detail, other times not. It's just over 300 words, hardly an essay anyway!

It's up to you if you want to read it or not, I was addressing someone who asked me a question. They responded and reacted to it so would assume they read it.

No idea why you think you have authority over how long my post should be, or why you'd think I'd listen to you.
😅😅👍👍

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
no poker is not a sport, I hope in the future they will fix it and make it a sport for people to play sports and say I'm an athlete they asked him what you do poker:) luck just matters in poker, that's why it's not a sport but everything may change in the future
It is true that some people understand by sports only the strengthening of the body or taking the physical condition to the highest extreme, but as chess enters a category of sports of the mind, I think that poker he also lends brilliantly.It can be a mind sport like any other.

DiazPoker3101

DiazPoker3101

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Good question. I believe poker shares many similarities with chess, so I do see it as a mental sport where strategies, routines, and handling situations among other factors need to be applied. I also view it as a business that requires an investment of capital and time for development. Like any business, the initial years may involve losses, and reinvestment is necessary until stability is achieved. Becoming a skilled player is a lengthy journey, but what matters most is enjoying the process and having a good time.

This year, poker was included as a mental sport in my country, argentina. 2022 :)
https://aapoker.org.ar/#:~:text=El 03/03/2022 la,histórico para el poker Argentino.

L

larabe1997

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
TN
Chips
there is never stress in sports but in poker there is alot so it can't be a sport

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Poker has every reason to be considered a full-fledged sport: Clear rules that clearly define all aspects of the game. The basis of the game is not randomness, but strategy and tactics.Poker truly fits into all sports competitions, and poker players can be considered athletes.

G

gordopirata

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
The classification of poker as a sport is a matter of debate. While poker involves elements of skill, strategy, and competition, it lacks the physical athleticism traditionally associated with sports. In many jurisdictions, poker is recognized as a game of skill rather than a sport. However, some argue that mind sports, which include activities like chess and bridge, should also encompass poker due to its strategic nature. Ultimately, whether poker is considered a sport depends on individual perspectives and the criteria used to define sports.

broncho

broncho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
EC
Chips
Well, you know, it's an interesting debate. Personally, I see poker more as a strategic mind sport rather than a traditional physical sport. It's a mental battlefield where you're constantly analyzing, making decisions, and trying to outwit your opponents.

Sure, there's not much running around or lifting weights involved, but the level of skill and concentration required is pretty intense. It's like a chess game but with cards, and the psychological aspect of reading your opponents adds another layer.

At the end of the day, it depends on your definition of sport. If you think of sport more broadly as a competitive activity that involves skill, strategy, and a bit of healthy competition, then yeah, poker definitely fits the bill.

Luckybvby777

Luckybvby777

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
AW
Chips
No poker is not a sport its a a game, Sport is any activity that primarily requires physical ability to perform. We call someone playing poker a player not an athlete.
But athletes that play in a competitive sports and are called players right? when active in the game right? Seems a little misleading. It's like saying Nascar is.t a sport because your just driving when so many physical elements are involved. The most i.portant attributes for me in any sport that is the most valuable ware the ones you can't see. Ex. Fatigue, discipline, endurance, emotion are all major stats for me. Just my opinion. Appreciate the discussion
I think poker is in the same category as darts and chess.

Wrong.
Diabetes type 2 (most common) is exacerbated by a sedentary lifestyle which leads to obesity. Playing poker online or live tends to be very sedentary. NASCAR on the other hand has nothing to do with cancer as far as I know.. Again if you think poker is a sport you probably have diabetes...or are on your way to having it. Get some exercise, and participate in a real sport, POKER is not a sport. Being offended by things is not a sport either btw.
Dude in a nutshell You gotta learn to relax a little. Diabetes has nothing to do with poker lol

Luckybvby777

Luckybvby777

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
AW
Chips
Mental game, mind sport...
Totally agreed some people just have the wrong perception of things.

Well, you know, it's an interesting debate. Personally, I see poker more as a strategic mind sport rather than a traditional physical sport. It's a mental battlefield where you're constantly analyzing, making decisions, and trying to outwit your opponents.

Sure, there's not much running around or lifting weights involved, but the level of skill and concentration required is pretty intense. It's like a chess game but with cards, and the psychological aspect of reading your opponents adds another layer.

At the end of the day, it depends on your definition of sport. If you think of sport more broadly as a competitive activity that involves skill, strategy, and a bit of healthy competition, then yeah, poker definitely fits the bill.
This is all I'm saying great way to sum it up. 👍

The classification of poker as a sport is a matter of debate. While poker involves elements of skill, strategy, and competition, it lacks the physical athleticism traditionally associated with sports. In many jurisdictions, poker is recognized as a game of skill rather than a sport. However, some argue that mind sports, which include activities like chess and bridge, should also encompass poker due to its strategic nature. Ultimately, whether poker is considered a sport depends on individual perspectives and the criteria used to define sports.
Well put only if most of us could have this understanding and not be so short sided when it comes to physicality and mental stability of a sport any sport.

Luckybvby777

Luckybvby777

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
AW
Chips
No I do not think so. For me, poker is another method of making money. How can one say in this situation that poker is a sport? Most who play poker do not play for sport.
You can play sports and make tons of money so I don't get it. Every sport is competitive right? Nothing wrong with your opinion 👌

no, but here we have the darts or billiard ....
- its a game for money
I would say darts is definitely a sport may not be contact but it is still a sport in my eyes. You exhibit physical elements by using muscle to throw the dart, mental strength to stay focused to hit bullseye every time etc.

Poker is a sport, like chess for example🫣
All sports don't have to be contact my friend.

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Definitely not a sport. Its a really good game though.
I dont count darts or snooker sports. Though for public interest they seem to fall into this bracket.

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Sports are physical exercises and poker is like a board and even mental game.

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Chess is considered a sport. That's why poker should also be considered a sport.

slysilvosilvo

slysilvosilvo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
How about figure-skating vs ballet ?