Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters
mattj15

mattj15

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would let them know but if they keep flashing em around **** it, i'm gonna look.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In home games, which is the only time I play live, I have always done as AG does.
Online, if you are foolish enough to show your hole cards I will look & not say a thing other than nice hand. :confused: :)
Regarding OP positioning herself so that she can see his cards, twinge away IMO.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure

I'm a honest person but like someone else said, it's his job to protect his hand. The way my luck runs, if I tried to use it to my advantage it would backfire and I'd go down the tube. I've never played in live games except with family.
Take care

HAPPY 4th OF JULY !!!!!

Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This commonly occurs in low limit games and inexperienced amateurs. As a true player to the game, one seeks any means to gain an advantage over all opponents. Remember this, this is money we're playing for. Some make this a career. Make the most of you play. If one is unable to protect his/her hole cards, it's a leak in the game. Exploit it and maximize your profit taking. Enjoy.

AGREED i would not tell them and I have been in the situation and looked and not ashamed of it I figure it this way if your dumb enough to show your cards your dumb enough to lose your money!!

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happened to me last week, at a pub game. This drunk on my left kept picking up his cards to his face, and staring at them until he could see them clearly. I usually sit back from the table anyway, and I could see his cards every hand.

On one hand, he had 66 and I had QQ. I bet him out preflop, and the board came Q5847. With his 6's in the muck, I had alot more confidence in my set than I otherwise would have, and won a big pot.

But I had some moral twinges about it, because it made me realize that I had an edge over everybody else at the table, not just the drunk who was showing his cards.

This is the problem, and this is why it is unethical. Heads up, look at it every time. But to gain an advantage over everyone else by looking at someone's cards is not fair.

jewboy07

jewboy07

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would look 100% every time and not feel the least bit bad about it

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luckily for me I wasn't playing against any of you apparently in a tourney I was playing a few months ago my chips were such that I had to sort of awkwardly reach over them to look at my cards. I thought I was protecting them with my hand but the guy on my right told me after one hand that after he folded he had seen one of my cards flash as I was looking at them. I've never had anyone flash cards to me live but if they did I'd tell them once then play normal: not actively look but if they flashed them and they made my decision easier certainly use that information.

Deco

Deco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to play with my family and friends on a glass coffee table.
Needless to say I would place the tv remote, my shoes or any object I can pretend to reach for underneath said table.

K

KAMEKAZE2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No Peaking!

No Peaking! Warn them, if they are nice and show a willingness to learn show them how to view their cards properly. After that I would say when someone is showing their cards for the world to see, the world can't help but take notice.

At that point they are being lazy and careless! They will probably lose their money any way!

wachinpntdry

wachinpntdry

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happened to me last week, at a pub game. This drunk on my left kept picking up his cards to his face, and staring at them until he could see them clearly. I usually sit back from the table anyway, and I could see his cards every hand.

On one hand, he had 66 and I had QQ. I bet him out preflop, and the board came Q5847. With his 6's in the muck, I had alot more confidence in my set than I otherwise would have, and won a big pot.

But I had some moral twinges about it, because it made me realize that I had an edge over everybody else at the table, not just the drunk who was showing his cards.

This is the problem, and this is why it is unethical. Heads up, look at it every time. But to gain an advantage over everyone else by looking at someone's cards is not fair.

+1 to jamesdd's comment

because one player is [careless, drunk, inexperienced] is not an excuse to cheat.....

regardless of the fact that this player isn't intentionally showing his cards......and regardless of the fact that you may not be requesting the info .....any situation where a player employs unfair advantage (regardless of how the player came to hold this advantage) is by definition cheating

you see a player flash cards in a multiway pot, sure it's tempting...and it's up to you to decide what you are....

- if you're honest, you announce you've seen the cards....
- if you're dishonest you believe one careless player = your good fortune....and then use that info to punish other innocent players still in the hand

HU in a hand with that player after he's been warned ?... go ahead and take his money, he deserves to lose it

P

PokerMastero

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is an obvious anwser, if someone says they are an honest player and would not look basically there a dumbass. Anyone who wouldnt take advantage of any scenario you can in poker is stupid.

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is an obvious anwser, if someone says they are an honest player and would not look basically there a dumbass. Anyone who wouldnt take advantage of any scenario you can in poker is stupid.

The obvious answer should be to tell the person that you can see their cards.To take advantage of this situation to me is dishonest!
I guess it comes down to your morals.I think to call an honest person "stupid" shows your dishonesty and ignorance.The top players all protect there Image at all cost.If you are found out to be a cheat,GL finding games.

Snow :cool:

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Lovely start, eagerly await further examples of the obvious breadth & depth of your wisdom. :rolleyes:

E

Ecomdan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say nothing.. I had one guy sitting on my right who would pick his cards up and hold them about a foot from his face then put them back down. He was fun to play with :)

D

danchiill

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
man i think this guy was looking at my cards last week every hand i got into he raised me i dont think i was showing my cards though but i think he saw them

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't need to. Their eyes give away their hole cards :D

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
IMHO, tell them once then flece them. :p

burntaces

burntaces

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
normally at my home game, i will tell a person if they are holding the cards where i can see them, i don't make an effort to take a glimpse at someones cards, but if i do (unintentionally) hell yeah i will take it to my advantage and bet or fold...then I will tell them to hide their cards better.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If someone was showing there cards I would definatly look.
If it would give me advantage and information in a hand then Isee why not.
I think amarillo slim quoted that is a shame to let a idiot keep there money.
Or something like that was quoted in rounders.

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If someone was showing there cards I would definatly look.
If it would give me advantage and information in a hand then Isee why not.
I think amarillo slim quoted that is a shame to let a idiot keep there money.
Or something like that was quoted in rounders.

The problem I have with this kind of thinking is,you are cheating everyone still in any hand that you see this guys cards.
What have the other players done to deserve to have you use this information against them (cheating IMO)?
I feel sorry for all of you that feel that looking at someone elses cards is a honest advantage to take. If you sleep good at night after doing this,I really feel sorry for you.GL all

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem I have with this kind of thinking is,you are cheating everyone still in any hand that you see this guys cards.
What have the other players done to deserve to have you use this information against them (cheating IMO)?

These guys are looking to take the bankroll you bring to the table. Perhaps you and the small percentage of players will openly announce one flashes his/her cards, but the supplemental others, contrary to your belief, indeed are looking/peaking whenever the opportunities arrive - without telling you.
Allow me to use an examples :

* Would you be willing to tell a player that he/she *
- Raises her eye brows higher when they Cbet bluff?
- hands tremble while betting the nut hand?
- Sits up stiff as a board frozen as he puts up a big bet bluff?

Besides, is there a penalty inflicted for inadvertently catching a glimpse of his cards?

J

JulieK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Robert makes a good point. If I see the hole cards of the guy next to me, I have an advantage over the other players at the table, who don't see those cards. So it seems like I'm cheating. But, if I pick up a tell on the guy across the table, and am the only one who can see it, or am the only one who picks up on it - it's the same advantage over everybody at the table. Yet nobody would call that cheating. Nobody would say to the guy how to fix that tell, or announce the tell to the whole table. I admit, there is a difference of degree, because seeing someone's hole cards is a more powerful advantage than picking up a tell - but it seems to be the same principle.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one time this smelly french guy on my left would say his cards out loud really quietly in my general direction. it was pretty sweet