Why run someone down?

J

Jeschant

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best line I've heard so far in response to that happening.

Reg to fish: wow how can you play so bad?
You to fish: isn't this place great? They give you their chips and then on top of that you get a free poker lesson!

Thanks for this, I used it on someone today in a freeroll. Could almost feel the hatred oozing out of my monitor.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont think its right to "educated" them

to me that is the worst possible thing

J

Jeschant

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think its right to "educated" them

to me that is the worst possible thing

Yeah, at least make us come to sites like this for our education! We gotta take some initiative!

zEric7x

zEric7x

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is just human nature to want correct somebody or call them out for doing something someone believes is stupid. Even in poker it probably is hard to resist the urge.

chory1414

chory1414

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and this is so, the players are always rush and at the end you have nothing to lose in the long run, I assure you. With regard to those who call idiots for lying, I feel bad because everyone plays their own way and make sure that everyone has lied many times

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My apologize I was not clear. I wasn't talking about online playing my bad. When I am online I usually do not have my chat on I am sure it happens. I was talking about playing with other people in real life when it is a little harder to tune the things you hear out.

We had a guy that was learning the game and some of the other players would just chew him out and yell at him, tell him how bad he was. One of the things is, this guy just start it was his first time playing and these people were just tearing him down telling him how dumb he is and stupid for calling hands he should not have.

I would wait until after the game and talk to him and help him improve his game. I do not agree with tearing anyone down no matter what he/she is doing.

No matter what people do, what crappy cards they play, etc., don't say a word.

If someone sucks out with 7-2o, don't say a word.

If someone is super bad, and just learning the game, don't say a word.

Just sit there, play your game, and MYOB. No one ever taught me anything when I didn't know anything. They just took my money.

We do not want to teach fish how to be better. We do not want to berate dumb-asses for horrific play. It is good to have players like this in a game.

I mean no disrespect. But you should never tell anyone how to play, or help them get better.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am very friendly when it comes to playing poker (live games). Even when a bad beat happens I will always say great hand, and if they are close I'd pat them on the back or shoulder. Poker should never be intimidating or threatening. You shouldn't have to explain yourself.

I agree with this 100%

It is much better to be friendly to everyone at the table. No bad blood. I learned this over the years.

-1 to turning off chat/putting on headphones and ignoring talking. Super +ev to get a friendly image with the fish. I literally got to the point where the biggest whale in the room (routinely would drop 10k every time he came) would try to get a table change to sit with me because I was his "nemesis" and was friendly while the other regs would just sit there with their hoodies and headphones.

I am guilty of the headphones. Lately though (last 2 sessions), I left them at home. I enjoyed myself more. The game was very friendly. People did not get steamed and play unpredictably.

I think above all, it is important and +ev to never piss people off at a table.

I have learned this over the years.

V

Vorban

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see this all the time in live play and it is stupid. Never tell a bad player they are bad - just try to win their chips.

We shouldn't educate them or make them uncomfortable playing live - we need them.

This! Why educate them at all... This is chip warfare!!!

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like and agree with the idea of being friendly with inexperienced players in live cash games, even tournaments, definitely +ev.

I read something a while back (maybe a Jonathan Little book?) that proved somewhat true for me: when you've been friendly - let's say chatting about property / football / whatever with fish on your left or right - following this, when you're in a hand and they raise or re-raise large, you can usually give them credit for the hand as your new "friendship" means less chance they're making a big play / bluffing you.

Not ALWAYS reliable, and obv more reliable the less experienced / worse the player is.

Fieldsy

Fieldsy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People remember good times at the poker table win or lose. Even I had some fun in a losing session with good people to talk to. That atmosphere is sometimes more important than winning to rich guys/girls burning time.

Raving Lunatic

Raving Lunatic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You all make very good points and I will be using a lot of what I have learned here just for the fun of it. Thank you all for the comments.

zegaum

zegaum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best thing to do is use the serenity and understand the criticism. If it is justified, ie you constantly do this kind of play and gets bad, you may want a reassessment of your move. However, it is always good to have such a player "nervous" on the table. He constantly "tilta" and it's easy to take your chips.