why is PTR wrong? (long)

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is something I don't understand about the ethics in online poker. I would really appreciate it if some of you could help me.

First, some background. I have played competetive tournament chess since I was a teenager. While I am only a talented amatuer at best I have known and occasionally played against professional players. In high level chess pregame preparation is mandatory. In order to do so the players study the games of their upcoming opponents. They study all of their games, not just the ones they have personally played or witnessed. Virtually every pro and many amatuers use a program called chessbase to store the games and manage the data. The games of almost every serious tournament are available online. Chessbase also sells updates. Nothing sinister here and anyone who wants the information can get the information. It is up to the player to use the information to help him or her. The biggest database in the world won't help if you don't know how to play.

So when I returned to online poker this past year I find that the idea of using hand histories that you did not participate in is considered cheating.
Fpr the record let me state that I don't have a hud yet and I won't break the TOS of a site because I don't want to get banned but intellectually it makes no sense to me that the information isn't allowed. All of the games were played on a public site so I can't see any privacy issue. It is just raw data and as all of you know, it won't make the plays for you. The player still has to use the information to the best of his ability. Also, with sites like PTR the information is equally available to all. They will sell to anyone I am sure. :)

An example from another competetive field: In team sports they use film to prepare for upcoming games. Would you prefer that your favorite football team didn't prepare this week? After all the film is not usually of a game against your team. It was filmed while your team wasn't there. What is the difference ethically between your team watching film to get ready for a game and using hand histories you didn't participate in to prepare for a poker opponent?

Thanks for reading. I hope I don't get flamed I am really interested in your answers.

Thanks,
Bill