Why is Online Poker not legal in the US?

I

iriechief

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The hypocrisy of the U.S. gov't has no limits. Just because they can't get a piece of the pie they don't want anybody else to have one either. It makes me sick how the Gov't continually shits on the american people and not one person cares to change an outdated and corrupt system. sigh

AkrAtos

AkrAtos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The same argument could be made about legalizing pot, etc. I've stopped asking why and just go with it.

thats exactly why it still is like it is. just too many people play poker but just a few do something, so the people they elected to represent them, well represent them.

S

sleepy11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm guessing they don't want us to deposit any money into poker sites because they need our money to lose. I guess allo the billions we are giving them now is'nt enough. lol

hipshot55

hipshot55

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
If I remember right they passed these laws as part of a "terrorism bill", that no politician in there right mind could vote against, with the circumstances from 9/11.I wonder which site Osama bin laden plays.Please keep your eye out for Osama as you play poker online and immediately report if you see him to the U S Government,since they cant seem to find him on their own.

The precise history is:

"This Act was passed on the day Congress adjourned for the 2006 elections. Though a bill with the gambling wording was previously debated and had passed by the House of Representatives, the SAFE Port Act (H.R. 4954) as passed by the House on May 4th and the U.S. Senate on September 14th, did not show any traces of the Unlawful Internet Gambling and Enforcement Act that was part of the SAFE Port Act signed into law by George W. Bush on October 13th, 2006. The UIGEA was added in Conference Report 109-711, which was passed by the House by a vote of 409-2 and by the Senate by unanimous consent on September 30, 2006. Due to H. Res. 1064, the reading of this conference report was waived." Source: http://www.usdgaming.com/2007/03/legislative-history-of-uigea.htmlhttp://www.usdgaming.com/

So, the UIGEA was glued on AFTER the SAFE Port Act was passed, completely without the UIGEA provisions. I would point out to those who continually want to make this a Demagogacrats -vs- Repugnicans issue, that the votes from both sides of the aisle were overwhelmingly in favor of this "add-on".

G

glworden

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think Bodog is very small.

bodog is in Antigua with support services in canada.

Cereus (UB and AB) are Canada, if you count Kahnawake.

I think pokerstars is Israel. Where are Carbon, Cake and FullTilt? How difficult would it be for any of these companies to set up in the US if legalized?

DonkeySmash

DonkeySmash

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not illegal. They just say that. You know how many people would get in trouble.. LMAO! Illegal please I play everyday and I live in the states..

DonkeySmash:cool:

V

Vizio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How are all these site up and running if it is so illegal? I have seen that some sites don't let you play for money depending on the State you reside in but others don't even make that a issue. Is it State by State or illegal period.