why is online poker harder than live poker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
RESURRECTIOOOONNN

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online peeps will say things to tilt a player that they would not say in live face to face.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live reads are just ridiculously important.

It doesn't take great reading skills to garner incredibly important information, and people will willingly give up quite a bit. There are not only the Mike Caro-type tells, but you will realize who is down to their last $200 and doesn't want to get busted, or who is stuck $1,500 and just wants to gamboool it up.

People show their cards a lot more live for no particular reason.

Live poker is very much a social game to a lot of people, and I admit that I don't always take the most +EV lines against certain people...but if you use this ruthlessly you can get a big advantage, too. you can do things such as negate positional disadvantages by talking to them. You can find out who is or isn't willing to stack pre with JJ or AK and who's going all-in with A-high or any pair.

People are much more impatient in live games...on the Internet, people are playing multiple tables or surfing the Net or watching TV. In live games, people get frustrated very quickly if they don't get a hand for two hours, which is very very common. The same guy who might fold KQs to a $2 reraise online is now putting in $75 preflop with it in a live game.

This is post deserves so much love.

I probably play the same volume time wise live as online but around 1/50th of the volume.

I remember a live MTT 2 years ago, final table of a 2 day event and the chipleader is refusing a deal, i know the lad very well. He is a gambler in every sense, and he was guarenteed €200 with ~4K on top. He has a decent job and was paid on Friday this is Sunday and he had 20c in his pocket for the week, and needed the money. Needless to say he folded into 3rd.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Takes more patience online with the players trying to be Pros. Study long, study wrong is an old saying from years back.

G

gotchips

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i believe its because your mindset is totally different sitting at a card table thats your main focus. at home theres multiple distractions that can take your attention away from the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Organize a Home Poker Game