Why is the last street in poker called the river?

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hello to all poker lovers!
I turned to the search engines to understand why the last street is called the river. The answer was easy to find. Turns out poker was played on ships in the 1800s. Of course, everyone wanted to win. In this game, money is at stake. In poker, scammers have already begun to appear. These unscrupulous players cheated, laid out additional cards on the table: the sixth, and if necessary, the seventh. The last street was named so because if an additional card was laid out, the cheater was thrown into the river. Just like that, without trial or investigation.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
a good punishment for such scammers would always be so with such people

cracker

cracker

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
No, it's because everyone cries a river when they are beat and then claim the site is rigged.

Gotmog1

Gotmog1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Ahahah, thank you for such interesting information, I will know:Roflmao:. And why then is the fourth hand called the turn? :uncertain:

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think "the lake" was already taken.

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In fact, no one can say for sure, but there are a number of theories. Some believe that because poker was often played on riverboats, cheaters who were caught trading an extra card would be thrown into the river.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I turned to the search engines to understand why the last street is called the river. The answer was easy to find. Turns out poker was played on ships in the 1800s. Of course, everyone wanted to win. In this game, money is at stake. In poker, scammers have already begun to appear. These unscrupulous players cheated, laid out additional cards on the table: the sixth, and if necessary, the seventh. The last street was named so because if an additional card was laid out, the cheater was thrown into the river. Just like that, without trial or investigation.
It would be nice to be able to ask for more cards, think, we would never have badbeat again lol

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Thank you for the research and the info. That made me now think about the reason why the turn is called so. I'm going to look it up right now and get back to you if I find anything worth it.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Thank you for the research and the info. That made me now think about the reason why the turn is called so. I'm going to look it up right now and get back to you if I find anything worth it.
And this is what I found so far :
"One reasonable possibility is that the term may be derived from horse racing (or any other race on a curved track). In a race, when the horses are coming around the final turn, they are nearing the end of the competition. Similarly, when the fourth community card is dealt in a poker hand, the hand is nearing an end".

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I knew something about being thrown into the river, but not concrete. Thanks!