S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You sound like a girl that could beat me up wandering =)

In fact I'm watching Ali starring Will Smith and I think you could beat him up too (you know when he was in his prime)

Robbie Strazynski

Robbie Strazynski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Robbie, interesting article that has sparked some lively debate in various places.

On the topic of how Ladies Events fit into the picture, it's worth looking at the WSOP Circuit where most of them are played. In the 2013\2014 season, the circuit includes 22 stops, of which 14 offer a Ladies Event, so roughly 64%. What's interesting is where they fit in terms of reporting on the WSOP blog, the main reporting portal for circuit updates; as you'll see in a moment this can vary greatly from one season to the next.

Looking back, here are the available Ladies Event winner reports from the 2012\2013 season:

http://blog.wsop.com/2013/05/judy-bielan-wins-harrahs-philadelphia-ladies-event/
http://blog.wsop.com/2013/05/ladies-night-at-harrahs-philadelphia/
http://blog.wsop.com/2013/05/janic-king-wins-ladies-championship/
http://blog.wsop.com/2013/03/a-look-at-yesterdays-ladies-event/
http://blog.wsop.com/2013/03/bellas-got-her-bling/
http://blog.wsop.com/2013/02/loni-harwood-wins-again/
http://blog.wsop.com/2013/02/lady-champ-out-7th/
http://blog.wsop.com/2012/12/nancy-birnbaum-wins-again/
http://blog.wsop.com/2012/12/luck-be-a-lady/
http://blog.wsop.com/2012/11/sunday-recap/
http://blog.wsop.com/2012/11/the-lady-is-a-champ/

There are also several reports on women in open events (possibly more that I've missed):

http://blog.wsop.com/2012/12/delfin-in-good-company/
http://blog.wsop.com/2012/11/ladies-cursed-sengphet-out-7th-harwood-out-8th/
http://blog.wsop.com/2012/11/lets-hear-it-for-the-ladies/
http://blog.wsop.com/2012/11/more-wsop-circuit-history-and-records/
http://blog.wsop.com/2013/01/heres-to-the-ladies/

So at first glance, it looks like the WSOP frequently reports on women both in the Ladies Events and open events on the circuit. However, if you do a search on the blog for "ladies" and look at the dates of reports, you'll note that at the time of this writing there is only one Ladies Event report available for 2013\2014 season:

http://blog.wsop.com/2013/11/wsop-circuit-ring-holder-natasha-barbour-wins-ladies-event/

This means that with 11 Ladies Events played and just 3 to go, only 1 of the winners (9%) have been recognized on the WSOP blog. I'm not sure how best to market poker to women, but it seems that one of the easiest ways is to simply report the Circuit LE winners on blogs and social media to increase visibility at the most affordable buyin levels.

I don't know what accounts for the sudden drop in reporting, but I don't think the "non-ring" classification helps. The LE is a pendant event, so why classify it as non-ring? If it doesn't count in point standings (and it shouldn't), then just say so and call it a pendant event.

To sum up, in answer to the question of how Ladies Events fit into the picture, I'll ask this:

Who are the invisible winners of the 2013\2014 WSOP Circuit Ladies Events? :dontknow:

Damn, that's some serious research you did there - kudos!

Well, you certainly have a good point. I suppose the wsop itself could indeed make it more of a priority to report on Ladies Events and spread the word via their social channels... the rest of the poker media could then latch on, etc.

I'm going to reach out to Nolan Dalla and Jessica Welman of the WSOP Media team and tell them about this thread to see what they have to say. Maybe they'll even comment here?

Regards,

Robbie

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Damn, that's some serious research you did there - kudos!

Well, you certainly have a good point. I suppose the WSOP itself could indeed make it more of a priority to report on Ladies Events and spread the word via their social channels... the rest of the poker media could then latch on, etc.

I'm going to reach out to Nolan Dalla and Jessica Welman of the WSOP Media team and tell them about this thread to see what they have to say. Maybe they'll even comment here?

Regards,

Robbie

I have a spreadsheet... :D

Thanks for reaching out to them. I sent an email to WSOP but I'm not sure if it will get to the right person. To be fair, the links I included show that they've historically made a strong effort to report on the LE's, but it would be cool to see them continue the effort. :top:

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
They need to get the word out more widespread media and not on poker channels such as ESPN. I mean its widespread but more men are watching that then women, they need some commercials on more women type shows

Robbie Strazynski

Robbie Strazynski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a spreadsheet... :D

Thanks for reaching out to them. I sent an email to WSOP but I'm not sure if it will get to the right person. To be fair, the links I included show that they've historically made a strong effort to report on the LE's, but it would be cool to see them continue the effort. :top:

No probs...let's see what they say.

Robbie Strazynski

Robbie Strazynski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, so here's the emailed response from Jessica Welman, who manages the WSOP.com site from the media end.

She was kind enough to allow me to copy/paste it here directly:
Hi Robbie,

I did see how much buzz your article seems to be generating. I enjoyed it myself and am always glad when someone brings up gender issues in the poker world.

I’m also more than impressed that someone did that much research on our blog content. To be honest, we just don’t have the staffers to cover the non-ring events at the Circuit, especially the Ladies Event, which more often than not, coincides with the Main Event of that stop. Much like the Seniors Event, we don’t consider these ring events because we don’t want to give out Circuit points to ring events that limit who can play. So, when it comes time to delegate how much our one staffer on site at Circuits writes about an event, these tournaments just tend to not get more than a mention or two in the blog. I certainly wish we had the ability to do so, but the timing of the schedule during the Main, when the Blog generally gets a little neglected, just makes it too complicated.

This is actually a problem we’ve run into during the summer—we haven’t been able to have the Ladies event on the feature stream with Tuchman so far. The problem is that we can’t justify putting that event on the feature table when other events, like the One Drop High Roller, are taking place at the same time. As a female, I obviously would love for us to include them in the stream, but I don’t think it necessarily helps the women in poker cause to pre-empt something with a large buy-in or field size for an event with a smaller buy-in and smaller field size just because it is the Ladies Event, you know?

We do try to denote when women succeed on the Circuit and at the WSOP though. Last year, there was an unprecedented level of success and participation from women on the Circuit, followed by Circuit reg Loni Harwood’s bracelet win. I personally did a lot of writing trying to draw attention to her performance and the performance of women overall at the WSOP, but sometimes we are limited by the amount of data we have at our disposal.

Hope that gives you a little insight, but if you guys have any other questions, happy to answer them.

Jessica

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Okay, so here's the emailed response from Jessica Welman, who manages the WSOP.com site from the media end.

She was kind enough to allow me to copy/paste it here directly:
Hi Robbie,

I did see how much buzz your article seems to be generating. I enjoyed it myself and am always glad when someone brings up gender issues in the poker world.

I’m also more than impressed that someone did that much research on our blog content. To be honest, we just don’t have the staffers to cover the non-ring events at the Circuit, especially the Ladies Event, which more often than not, coincides with the Main Event of that stop. Much like the Seniors Event, we don’t consider these ring events because we don’t want to give out Circuit points to ring events that limit who can play. So, when it comes time to delegate how much our one staffer on site at Circuits writes about an event, these tournaments just tend to not get more than a mention or two in the blog. I certainly wish we had the ability to do so, but the timing of the schedule during the Main, when the Blog generally gets a little neglected, just makes it too complicated.

This is actually a problem we’ve run into during the summer—we haven’t been able to have the Ladies event on the feature stream with Tuchman so far. The problem is that we can’t justify putting that event on the feature table when other events, like the One Drop High Roller, are taking place at the same time. As a female, I obviously would love for us to include them in the stream, but I don’t think it necessarily helps the women in poker cause to pre-empt something with a large buy-in or field size for an event with a smaller buy-in and smaller field size just because it is the Ladies Event, you know?

We do try to denote when women succeed on the Circuit and at the WSOP though. Last year, there was an unprecedented level of success and participation from women on the Circuit, followed by Circuit reg Loni Harwood’s bracelet win. I personally did a lot of writing trying to draw attention to her performance and the performance of women overall at the WSOP, but sometimes we are limited by the amount of data we have at our disposal.

Hope that gives you a little insight, but if you guys have any other questions, happy to answer them.

Jessica

Thanks Robbie, and thanks for responding, Jessica. Staffing and tourney scheduling conflicts are understandable, and I certainly don't know all the variables that go into reporting on multiple events. But while I would not expect to see play-by-play updates on the Circuit Ladies Events, I wonder how much effort it would really take to report the winners.

Back in January, I played Event 12 at Choctaw Durant and made it to day 2 which ran next to the Main Event final table. There were hard copies of tournament results posted along the far right wall not far from the Main Event. Assuming the Ladies Event results were listed along with the others, all it would take to get them would be to snap a photo with a phone, and you'd have a report of the final table and the winner to write up on the blog. It seems a matter of deciding that the Circuit Ladies Events are newsworthy again, as they apparently have been in the past. Loni Harwood's win of the Ladies Event at Palm Beach Kennel Club was reported just over a year ago for example.

I don't want my opinion on a specific issue this season to take away from the overall great reporting however. You and the WSOP Media Team bring on a lot of excitement about the game through your writing, which helps to inspire a lot of dreams for future Circuit grinders.

Thanks for listening.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A women just needs to win the WSOP ME and we will have another poker boom

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
K

KatieStone

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When ladies see other ladies playing poker, having fun and doing well it can inspire them to have similar goals. It can also ignite a passion they never knew existed. Not covering the ladies events at the circuit stops and other places is counter-productive long term and will not bring more women to the game.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When ladies see other ladies playing poker, having fun and doing well it can inspire them to have similar goals. It can also ignite a passion they never knew existed. Not covering the ladies events at the circuit stops and other places is counter-productive long term and will not bring more women to the game.
It would be great to see more women playing poker. That said, I think the deck is stacked against seeing a rapid increase. For the WSOP and any other poker business, it's ultimately about how to allocate limited resources so as to achieve the best bang for the buck with respect to its goals. Among other things, this means they won't allocate much of those resources to getting more women into the game until they decide it's a high enough priority to shift resources from other initiatives that are currently regarded as more important and/or productive.

Robbie Strazynski

Robbie Strazynski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No major change happens overnight. Hopefully, slowly but surely, we'll see more and more women playing and gradually increased media coverage as well. "Rome wasn't built in a day"...

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So no report on the WSOPC Ladies Event pendant winner at The Lodge in Blackhawk last Sunday, even though the LE did not conflict with the Main Event of this Circuit stop, but hey...we got two reports on the hockey playoffs and a plug for the omelets at Sunday Brunch!

http://blog.wsop.com/2014/04/lets-play-hockey/

http://blog.wsop.com/2014/04/game-7-baby/

http://blog.wsop.com/2014/04/sunday-brunch/

(also non-ring events, btw)

:rolleyes: It is what it is...

That is sad ^^^

Totally agree.

Faust

Faust

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's my 2 cents.

Poker is psychological game. Trying to make women more "comfortable" with the game just doesn't seem important to me when the whole nature of the game is to try and manipulate your opponents. Unless of course, you want to make them more comfortable to take advantage of supposedly "weaker players".

As a 27 year old woman, I have occasionally been looked down on at poker tables. But aside from one early tournament experience, it hasn't been an issue. The one tournament where I did have my negative experience, it pissed me off in a way that led to taking second in the tournament. So, I really can't complain. I understand that I am perceived differently, and treated differently at poker tables being a young women, and I love having that advantage. One thing I've read about a profitable poker table, is making everyone happy, comfortable, and relaxed. If I'm friendly and joke around, everyone is having a good time and might not pay quite as much attention to the game. I have a greater positive effect because of my gender. This whole gender inequality thing is an ADVANTAGE women have. If women are too sensitive and don't see this, well then frankly they need to toughen up or the game of poker might not be for them.

I've recently started playing in Ladies Events. So far, I've only played in 2 tournaments, but I've realized it's a fairly tight knit community that is a lot of fun to be a part of. Originally, I wanted to play in a Ladies Tournament because I thought it would be easier. The play is different, but I won't call it easier or harder. I will keep playing, because the Ladies Events are FUN!! I think they are just a great way to have a good time, and are definitely an important part in involving women in poker.

Everyone should be on board involving women in poker. Think about what an influx of new players would do for the game. The overall skill at the tables would go down, not because the players are women, but because the players are NEW.

As far as women being afraid to play live because of the fear of negative reactions, well, those are fears every new player has. There's no need to make it out to be a "poor girl" type reaction. I'm sure a guy sitting down at a poker table for the first time is just as nervous about screwing up and wanting to be respected as a player. If these players get good enough, they'll eventually learn that sometimes it's better to be viewed as a bad player.

Someone made the comment that they don't know of any women that play online. I feel that I've encountered more women that play online then I usually do when I play live. When you play online, you don't actually know who is a man or a woman.

In conclusion, Ladies Events should definitely be encouraged because it will draw new players into the game (and they are just plain fun). However, I just don't agree with trying to change phrasing or get men to "watch their language" at the table. I just don't care, and these are non-issues to me. The issues brought up about women in poker mostly annoy me. By giving it attention, it's automatically saying that women aren't capable of thriving in the current poker environment. Well, frankly, any woman that is too scared or intimidated can just stay out of the game. I don't have a tolerance for weak people, and this is just a card game. If you can't handle a poker game, how exactly are you making it though the rest of your life without getting pushed around?

P.S. Forgot to include that men that play in Ladies Event are just jerks. Do you want your wives/girlfriends intruding on guy time?? Let us have our girl time.

You seem to have it very clear, i have the same opinion as you.

Answering to the question of the thread, i believe that's a problem of beliefs and interests. There's still many people that think that poker is gambling, while actually it is a game of skill (or at least that's my opinion). People that think like that is not really interested in changing their beliefs because simply they don't care, until they become to get interested in poker (for some reason of life) they simply will refuse to learn/play.

What i said applies for both men and women, however men tend to spend more time gaming, and that's a strong reason.

Last edited:
rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Agreed here too. Found out the winner of the Ladies Event at WSOPC Black Hawk was Teresa Hemingway, a well-known local player with several impressive scores including 1st in the 2013 HPT Main Event at Black Hawk for $226,463. Her win in the LE along with previous accomplishments would have certainly made for an inspiring story at WSOP. What a missed opportunity to report on a great player.

At least Ante Up had it right:

Hemingway's Poker Story Is Worth Telling

K

Kibic1302

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Super article. Good job :) A woman and poker .. Hm .. Poker reminds me rather of men. stereotypes :)

I

itrade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think women will gamble as much as men and thats not a bad thing.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Cardschat should send some one to cover Ladies events

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cardschat should send some one to cover Ladies events

From a business standpoint, that's most likely a -EV proposition- a lot of expense to cover one tournament. Those of us who play circuit events at local-ish stops could get pics and information to support reporting efforts though, kind of like a CC on-location team. I could do it at Choctaw and Bossier City...after busting out of course. :)

Hopefully we'll see some great pics and reports from the summer tournaments that CCers are involved in. :cool: