Why do you play poker?

S

Sportsmenc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker because it is the best timekiller. When you at work in office, open FT or PS and you will be home faster than if you'd fell asleep.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some good answers here, is there any different reasons you continue to play or have there been periods where you took time away from the game for any reason?

undone

undone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i took off a year actually... just got too wrapped up in it and played it like 6 or 7 hours a day... so i took of some time... and just picked it up about 3 months ago and I am really trying to not get too wrapped up in it because its not my job... So yes.. i have taken time off and it helps a lot!

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i took off a year actually... just got too wrapped up in it and played it like 6 or 7 hours a day... so i took of some time... and just picked it up about 3 months ago and I am really trying to not get too wrapped up in it because its not my job... So yes.. i have taken time off and it helps a lot!

This is where I am at I would play a simular amount and I am just coming back to it after an extended break. Although I did get to complete Diablo 2, Doom3 and (nearly) fall out3 in that time :p

undone

undone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha awesome games, personally i liked Duke Nukem..! Poker is easy to get addicted to because its sooo much fun...

B

Brian182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started playing because it looked fun and almost everyone I knew was playing it; friends, relatives, etc. Then I kept playing it for pocket change just because I thought I could make money. I thought I was better than the average, but I guess I wasn't. But still, the thrill was still there. Then I started playing online thinking I could make money. Dropped $700 on tilt playing with college money, but would make that back up 4 times later. Then I just kept playing for the dream of making it in poker, but that dream only happens for a very short minority of players, but dreams don't come true if you don't dream right?

J

JackM3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My Grandpa was always big into cards games, so he was always teaching me card games when I was young. My favorite has always been Texas Hold'em! I love the thrill to playing, from bluffing just to getting straight out lucky.

Jodieblonde

Jodieblonde

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because I love to play cards. My whole family plays cards and games and poker is right up there with one of our favorites. It's a great past time and lots of fun. Truthfully, I've never understood how someone couldn't love to play cards but I've met a few. Good luck at the tables!

G

Gr3atness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it was the year Greg Raymer won when I first saw it on TV and thought it looked fun so I followed one of the ads and first started out with play money before finding freerolls.

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play...for the straights flushed away...for those pocket kings you sometimes have the sense to fold.

N

nobby1510

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sure beats watching the rubbish there is on UK TV!!

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoy it becasue it relaxes me, engages my brain, and on line? I get to stay home.

M

MFaith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ah, for the challenge. Also I developed a carpal tunnel like problem from playing Backgammon on the computer and Poker is less strenuous in that regard.

M

marysgirl883

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My dad taught me how to play poker when I was little.....With the red/white and blue chips.....We made them 5/10/25 cents...I just fell in love with the game....Then about 5 or 6 years ago a friend told me I could play online and have been playing ever since.....I play because I love the game.....The money is nice that is true...But you do something because you love it..which I do.

FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played card games since I was old enough to play "War" I didn't play NLHE until I saw the WPT on the travel channel. I play now as a hobby. I can have as much fun trying to win a freeroll as a buy-in tourney.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I've never played because of "MONEY"... except perhaps when I was around 10yrs. old.
I started playing poker over 40yrs. ago as a wee youngster.

Why do I play it now... what is it about the game I enjoy OR what is it that motivates me to play more?
There's a few answers here... basically because I LOVE the game part of it... I am super competitive and I HAVE TO WIN... AND I like the way as you develop your game you come to understand that there is just wayyyyy more to it than you had at first realized (or could even see).
I am motivated to contstantly improve upon my game - - learn more & more & more about it... review some more, learn some more.. play some more and do it all again.
What I enjoy about it.... it's the Great Escape. When I'm playing poker nothing else matters. I can totally zone out from anything & everything. I enjoy that it is a very cool game of skill,.. kinda like chess but only a zillion times better for many reasons.

When I say "Money has very little to do with it".. I mean this in all sincerity. Sure it'd be nice to win money but personally what I enjoy most is just winning the game. think if one is to keep focused on the money aspect

different things motivate different people to play for many different reasons. Knowing some of this can help one play the player on the tables and some of this is often quickly revealed if one knows what cues to look for.

good question btw

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started playing because it was a fun thing to do with my friends. As we got better, we realized it was also fun taking other people's money. Then we found this site where you could play online! It was sponsored by Mike Caro, and I don't even recall the name anymore. ***EDIT*** It was called Planet Poker!!!

WPT started, and we literally scrambled to get a VHS tape to record it, lol! We were like, "This is so sweet poker on TV. We may never see this again!!" Funny looking back on it.

Then when I turned 21, I got to play at Foxwoods, and all I've played for ever since was to crush everyone who sits at a table with me as hard as I possibly can every time. That is why I play.

Last edited:
RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was a pretty good tournament chess player but certainly didn't have the skills to win big money doing that. I find it fascinating that so many people can make serious money playing a game that has many similarities to chess. I'm hoping my chess background gives me an edge. At first, playing poker to me was just fun and challenging and something new to learn, but now I want to make money!

damon789

damon789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dad had the Gambling bug

Grew up playing for fun with my family. Just basically 5 card draw, then when

the boom came with the WPT show, that rekindled my interest. I play now for

the enjoyment, escape from day to day grind, and because I am by nature a

very competitive person. And I also enjoy the fact that it is a sane

psychological form of warfare.

G

Grindit9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play because my bankroll is payed for by another person and i can pretty much do whatever i like? Oh and make a living off it of course :).