Why do players talk so much junk??

D

DREW0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They do it because they can get away with it. In a live game they wouldn't open their mouths. People get awfuly brave when they can sit at home and hide behind their monitors.

Just another example of the degrading of society brought about by the lack of interpersonel contact due to reliance on e-mail, text messaging, chat rooms etc.

fcumred

fcumred

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm no prude but I cannot stand the horrible talk ie... rascist comments, hatefull comments against women or men.
It seems so juvenile. I like to horse around even talk harmless crap occasionally but really people, it just looks like your a sore loser when you make ugly unwanted derogatory remarks. Lets show people we can still have fun and play poker with a bit of class...talk just a little trash but lets not get personal

For instance losing in a tournament during a head up confrontation and wish the other person to die is at least...terrifying and horrific!!!!What Freud would have diagnosed????:confused::confused::confused:

Are you on a mission ?

This is the fourth forum you've posted this exact same question on..

B

BobBrat69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Because we are playing at home with unlimited access to booze and other fun stuff ???? Hmmm.... Make you wonder how many use the whole distraction thing as an excuse sometime ??? Next time you are at the table with me and steaming over my wonderful card-playing skills ;) do me a favor and devote as much of your attention as possible to trying to figure out which. I need all the help I can get ;)

gnk2727

gnk2727

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You missed something here. Beyond not berating fishies, always good to say 'nice catch' when they suck out. Makes em feel like staying around.
Trash talk has its place, but I generally dont go there, takes a lot of energy and leaves a bad taste.

It's quite funny that you say that. When I first started playing poker and had no real idea about strategy and such people used to tell me nice catch and I didnt understand the context. Now I say that to people all the time and the roles are reversed........

ulti_secrets

ulti_secrets

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
mirmidwnas,
I have seen worse a player wished the other guy's family to be in a car accident and all die, after of course the player that beat him died. It is so senseless to even talk like that .I think some people really have some mental problems that need looking into. I emailed support and turned that person in.

L

Lolita

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
today I acted as if I was a crazy person, saying stuff like "nh!" out of the blue. Or "you should've folded that" and answer it myself "really? Maybe I should've, yes."
Later on I started talking nonsens as well. Stuff like "There aren't enough vegetables for us all!" "then just do me the glasses"

T

thejuanupsman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a guy who's seen it all, Brunson says something to the effect of 'Sore losers are bad for poker' in one of his books I've read. Putting someone on tilt purposefully by throwing a few comments here and there is different than talking about someones mom, race, or other personal insults and violent threats barely good enough to win over a 7th grade crowd.
I've taken some misguided racist comments in stride.. I'm white but my avatar is a picture of James Brown, so I find it equally pathetic/funny when someone calls me the n-word after I beat them fair and square (it's happened more than ten times)

I often have a similar experience with people calling me racist names because they assume I'm Hispanic. Generally I ignore them but sometimes I act offended and let them think I am upset. People will make some really stupid calls when they think you are on tilt.

T

thejuanupsman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ha when i think somebody is a complete donk i take the totally opposite approach and start saying stuff along the lines of..."sir, how did you learn to play such efficient poker. you should seriously condersider taking up poker as a second job if you havent already." lol thumbs up or down on that??

That's pretty funny anyway. Knowing most of the trash talkers they'll never figure it out. But I bet everyone else at the table has a laugh.

P

playme1979

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
best thing to do when u run into a donkey running off at the mouth is just mute them and continue to concentrate on your game.