Who's playing SnG's only?

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoy sngs but sometimes play cash to bankroll my sng's. Cash game is where im struggling.

So if youre making a good run at only sng's id like to hear from you.

1. What games are you playing? (6 person, 10 person, Multi table)

2. Are you playing multi sng's at once, if so how many?

3. What are your buy-ins compared to your Bankroll?

4. Any other advice welcome.

Thanks

W

wolfchild1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usualy start out with 5 or 6dollar buy in sng. I prefer the 6player tables.If i have sucess ill play some 11 and 12 buyins.Inever had much sucess in cash games so I steer clear of them

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play Sngs on stars, been a tilt month this month so took all but 100 dollars out.

I am keeping that as a buffer as I never want to deposit again.

So that said at the moment I am playing 1$ sngs as its cheap and I am treating this like a new start and trying to improve all aspects of my game. I play the 18 seaters which last an hour to an hour and a half. As I want to learn and observe more I am playing one table then opening a second when I am in a cash position. There are also nice for Battle of the Planets points for leaderboard.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I enjoy sngs but sometimes play cash to bankroll my sng's. Cash game is where im struggling.

...I've played mainly SNGs since I joined PokerStars-they're my favorite. 690 games, ave. stakes: $3, $400 in profits, 16% ave. ROI. However, I've taken a break from them this month and I'm focusing more on cash games. I do play every now and then.

...I usually play the micro-limits. $2 18-seat SNGs are probably my best game, followed by $3 9-seat and $3 6-seat. I sometimes play the $2 180-seat SNGs and the $1 45-seat SNGs. I also only play turbo SNGs, since I cannot stand regular ones.

...I only play one 180 at a time, but for the $2 18-seat and single table, SNGs, I can usually play from 4-6. I might be able to play more if I wanted but I dont.

...Well, I just recently cashed out a large chunk of my BR but I still have enough to play $1-$3 SNGs. I like to have at least 50+ buy-ins for a limit in my BR. I actually have ~70 for $3 SNGs and ~210 for $1 SNGs and everything else in the middle.

...Pretty vague. What advice are you seeking?

Thanks
above.

B

Brann6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play ST 9-man SNGs, just 1 table at a time. Guess I'm not very good at multi-tasking :). Seriously, though, I know there are many players looking at hourly rate and that's why they multi-table. They're perfectly happy to get 2nd or 3rd as they're playing so many tables all they care about is the overall profit margin...ie: 12% profit on 100 games is obviously more than 25% profit on 10. I find myself grinding less than that when I multi-table and I WANT that 67% jump in payout between 1st and 2nd...something that's hard to accomplish, for me, playing more than 1-2 tables at a time.

I've tried the early tight/loose later strategies posted here and on other forums but found myself hitting push-bot mode too often and too soon, so I stole some ideas from better players and devised a strategy that works for me. You can find 2 threads I've written in the strategy section.

My buy-ins run 2-3% of bankroll and I was extremely patient about moving up.

Now, if I can just stop playing those stupid Double or Nothing SNGs! They require a totally different strategy and it's really screwed up my head when it comes to regular SNGs!

Rounder_D

Rounder_D

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I 12 table $5 9 person regular sng at poker stars but have only been doing so for about 600 games in the past 3 weeks. but i found that at that level that it is quite easy to at least break even on most of my sets and just ride out variance until i can get a good run in 8-9 in one set. but with SNG its all about varience if your a winning sng player then you will continue to climb the stakes it just takes time and dedication as long as you constantly work on your game. they are by far the esiest form to multitable and have consistant results in.

I run 65 buy-ins for my level of sng as i follow Fox's bankroll requirments from pocketfives.com and play that level until i have 65 buy-ins for the next level up

i also run 200 Buy-ins for MTT

as far as advice sng are very easy becuase they involve a very simple system if you can adhere to the grind that it takes to consistantly cash.

S

Sonic_x_Reducer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd stay away from the turbo....I contantly tell myself I'm not going to play them, but I keep coming back for more pain. They become too much of a crap shoot even if you get a big stack early on. If you have time to play them the 90 man SNG/MTTs pay out nicely. You can play a lower buyin and make out good if you can make top 9 or better. I never have time to take it easy on these...rush...and thus bust out on dumb mistake a lot, but if you play good and have patience these can be good for you.

A

atnmsdaddy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play on tilt sit go's the cheap ones are easy cause everyone calls you when you have a good hand but i learn the higher you go the tighter the people and tends to make it harder to win

H

hurricanebezy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stay away from the sit n gos. They won't prepare you for that tournament play one needs to be good at; however, they are good practice for the final table. But you have to watch out for collusion.

W

wolfchild1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
collusion

Stay away from the sit n gos. They won't prepare you for that tournament play one needs to be good at; however, they are good practice for the final table. But you have to watch out for collusion.
Ive never noticed any collusion going on in sngs on full tilt .Is it a big problem?

O_o

O_o

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play SNG's at Poker Stars. I always play 18 player multi tables because they seem to take almost the same time as a 9 player table. They are also very easy to always make the final table if you play tight.

I always try to make the battle of the planets promotion every week for bonus cash.

brettstix

brettstix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I am playing at pokerstars. Almost always 1 table at a time. 9 or 10 table games mixture of turbo and standard with the occasional 18, 27 or 45 person MTT if I have a bit of extra time. I find the standard games are easier to cash in (less luck involved). I had been playing at the $3.00 buy in level and not risking more than 4-5% of bankroll. I have started playing the double or nothing games recently and have been doing well at the $5.00 level now that my bankroll has increased..

I will sometimes begin a new SNG when the game has reached the bubble but I like to concentrate on 1 game at a time to get a good read on players. I use online poker to improve my game, I am not interested in playing 10 tables at a time to try and win more money.

Current bankroll ~155. I don't like to play for more than around 4%. My wife busts my chops about always playing low limit games when I can win at higher levels and how I could be making more money. I started with $50 a couple of months ago and after playing a lot of cash games and breaking even I tried SNG's and have been playing them since. Check my results on sharkscope.com.

Read a lot in this forum. Key things to remember ......
1. Position
2. Patience
3. Position
4. Bankroll Management
5. Observe the table
6. Know your opponents
7. Did I mention position (Ace 10 suited on the button with everyone before you folding looks much better than Ace 10 suited UTG with the entire table to follow your move).
8. Stop and consider what your opponent has before hitting the call or raise buttons (You are SB with 66 and the pot has been raised 3 x BB by UTG then reraised by UTG+1 to 8 x BB, what if you had 77, 88, 99, etc. How would you play?)
9. If you have a new idea you want to bring to your game try it at a lower level first.
10. If you make a bad play or misread then treat it as a learning experience and move on. Try not to tilt.

Thanks

Good luck.

P.S. Is this you? Official Poker Rankings NC_ROYALS Poker Ratings, Results, Statistics