Who will explain in popular terms why poker coaches create competitors for themselves?

C

ChemfromUKR

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Can someone explain to me why people who make money playing poker end up also becoming poker coaches? In the end, they only make things worse for themselves, at least in the long run. Increase the number of adequate players. Or is all this training just to some extent nonsense and an easy way to make money?
I want to sign up for training, but I can't understand the point of a player who really wins sharing knowledge with me.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Simple there's is really nothing for them to lose. Being a winning player takes a lot more then being good at poker.

Majority of human race can't even balance their own cheque book/budget and have almost ZERO patience and no mental toughness/tilt control. You could be the best poker player in the world and have all the poker knowledge in the world but without being able to balance a budget, balance a check book, management a bankroll, have patience and mental toughness/tilt control you'll never be a winning player.

EDIT: Majority don't even need coaching or need to be paying for coaching to beat the stakes we play as the majority play micro(2nl)-low stakes(50nl). There's more then plenty FREE available material that can getting you beating 2nl-50nl. Problem is one also needs bankroll management, patience and mental toughness/tilt control to beat 2nl-50nl. Majority don't and will never have those things no matter how good and how much poker knowledge they have.

Cheers!!!

Last edited:
Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
People who achieved to live from poker are at a level which is unreachavle for the vast majority of the players. Nomatter how much they study. Cause they don't have the other skills (beside learning).
So, for a poker master, teaching courses gives at least two benefits: he wins money from courses, and he widens the number of good player in general, so he can win potentially more money from a larger pool of players.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
Are you better at math than your professor at high school? Are you better than your primary school teacher in languages? How about chemistry? Physics? Ect.

You might answer some of those questions with yes, but for a wast majority it's a no. They are not even close in the knowledge of their teacher. While coaching people you give them a better grasp of a subject and indirectly making your competition stronger, there are still a lot more people that you will make the profit off. Teaching those few individuals and maybe creating a new poker genius won't make you yourself a losing player, if anything it's an extra earning (pretty good actually if you're good at it), where you don't rely on variance. And to some people it's just a worthwhile experience to teach others.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Learning and teaching is one of the core meanings of life and staples of human civilisation.

It is always a two way street.

Learners benefit from teachers and teachers benefit from students, in a variety of ways.

One of my favourite sayings is 'You cannot hold a lantern to someone else's path without also lighting your own'.

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think the explanation is simple, they do it because they generate income by being poker teachers, so they not only generate income from the game themselves, they also generate income from teaching.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think the explanation is simple, they do it because they generate income by being poker teachers, so they not only generate income from the game themselves, they also generate income from teaching.
Exactly. They make more money from coaching than the competition that they create with teaching concepts to players that aren't the biggest fish anyway.

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Exactly. They make more money from coaching than the competition that they create with teaching concepts to players that aren't the biggest fish anyway.
100% agree. And in any case, the players who participate in their courses rarely reach the same level. So they win everywhere.

N

nazarkrasnuk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can someone explain to me why people who make money playing poker end up also becoming poker coaches? In the end, they only make things worse for themselves, at least in the long run. Increase the number of adequate players. Or is all this training just to some extent nonsense and an easy way to make money?
I want to sign up for training, but I can't understand the point of a player who really wins sharing knowledge with me.
The decision for successful poker players to become poker coaches is influenced by various factors, and it's not necessarily detrimental to their long-term success.

N

nazarkrasnuk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some successful players genuinely enjoy teaching and sharing their knowledge with others. Helping others improve their skills can be fulfilling and satisfying.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It does seem like a bad business plan doesn't it.
What I find even more peculiar is the guys who give a ton of free advice on poker forums. Sort of like the 'look how smart I am!' But how smart is to educate the player pool :unsure:
As a few others have mentioned, some enjoy teaching.

I think you'll get a good answer if you ask a coach this question.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if you want to sign up for a coach it's not a mistake, you'll gain new knowledge and play a little better than you played before you play why they do it to make money obviously give knowledge that you will gain yourself but you have to go through a lot to gain this knowledge and they will give you it now, that's why you pay money everyone who made a lot of money they almost all play at the same level, just someone is luckier

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think these people are simply confident in their game and are not afraid of competition, and besides, it is far from a fact that students ever reach the abi coaches.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Teaching is also a way of studying, anyone who has ever set out to teach something will one day realize that you learn a lot when you teach, either because you have to express your knowledge, filling in gaps that may exist in it, or because you have to respond questions asked by students.

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The decision of successful players to become poker coaches can be understood from several perspectives. Firstly, sharing knowledge and techniques with others does not necessarily make things worse for them, but can be rewarding and offer a sense of contribution to the poker community. Additionally, teaching others can strengthen the trainer's own understanding and skills, as explaining concepts often requires a deeper understanding.

In popular terms, many poker coaches see coaching as a way to give back to the poker community and help others improve their game.

chicbulls2

chicbulls2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Just a way to earn some more money

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They like to make some money that is more guaranteed without risk. They might be married and have a family to support so by teaching they can stay at home more and cut down on expenses.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the more people playing poker the better for those who play poker, knowing how to play and training does not guarantee victory or profitability

T

tiptools

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
apparently they make more from couching than they would from poker