Who is losing to the pros?

dgiharris

dgiharris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Speaking as a live grinder and the live game...

The majority of tournament players that bink a big tournament get their asses handed to them in the high stakes live cash games, specifically 5/10nl 10/20nl, and 25/50nl (these are the stakes I have played and have personal experience in).

In my area there is a big 10/25nl game with an uncapped buy-in, typical buy-ins are between $5k - $10k and its not unusual for someone to buy-in for $20k

We've had several players bink a local $100k tournament and then they take $5k or $10k and buy-in to the big game and they just lose their asses... So whoever said upthread that many high stake pros playing the cash game are lucky tournament winners is wrong as far as live games are concerned. Many luckbox tourney winners will take a shot at the high stakes games, but they rarely if ever are winning players at the higher stakes and just end up donating their tourney winnings to the higher limit poker population...

In the live game, I would say that ratio of pros vs recreational players is:

Weekdays
1/2nl --- 5% pros / 95% rec players
2/5nl --- 10% pros / 90% rec players
5/10nl --- 25% pros / 75% rec players
10/20nl --- 30% pros / 70% rec players

Weekends
1/2nl --- 2% pros / 98% rec players
5/10nl --- 15% pros / 85% rec players
10/20nl --- 20% pros / 80% rec players

There are plenty of well rolled rec players out there, but for 5/10nl and above, the fish aren't as fishy. Players are more competent. Not to say there aren't bad players, but they are just no where near as bad as the bad players at lower limits. Most rec players for 5/10nl and above are ABC/TAG competent whereas the majority of rec players at 2/5nl and 1/2nl are not ABC/TAG competent...

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

The majority of tournament players that bink a big tournament get their asses handed to them in the high stakes live cash games, specifically 5/10nl 10/20nl, and 25/50nl (these are the stakes I have played and have personal experience in).

In my area there is a big 10/25nl game with an uncapped buy-in, typical buy-ins are between $5k - $10k and its not unusual for someone to buy-in for $20k

We've had several players bink a local $100k tournament and then they take $5k or $10k and buy-in to the big game and they just lose their asses... So whoever said upthread that many high stake pros playing the cash game are lucky tournament winners is wrong as far as live games are concerned. Many luckbox tourney winners will take a shot at the high stakes games, but they rarely if ever are winning players at the higher stakes and just end up donating their tourney winnings to the higher limit poker population...

Weekdays

Weekends

There are plenty of well rolled rec players out there, but for 5/10nl and above, the fish aren't as fishy. Players are more competent. Not to say there aren't bad players, but they are just no where near as bad as the bad players at lower limits. Most rec players for 5/10nl and above are ABC/TAG competent whereas the majority of rec players at 2/5nl and 1/2nl are not ABC/TAG competent...

Nice reading, thanks for sharing...

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Weekdays

Weekends

^^^nice post. the bold part i could not agree with more. I dont know if the statistics are spot on but they seem more or less reasonable.