Where's the interest in BRM? Pun intended

2ofdakind

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Am I the only one who thinks it's silly to keep all your poker earnings
locked up on a website that doesn't give you anything for keeping it there.

I divide my poker bankroll into 2 sections:
1./ Active playable bankroll and 2./ Dormant bankroll

My active roll is obviously what remains on pokerstars but the
dormant roll goes into a savings account at my bank and actually
earns interest. With so many easy transfer options from banks
on pokerstars and how fast it transfers makes it a no brainer to
split it up like this.

I typically have about 10 % of my total br active which also helps
me to curb the bad habit of buying into a higher buyin due to the
extra funds active.

Any thoughts? anybody else practice brm this way?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You must not reside in the U.S. Depositing here is a royal PITA.

For most responsible players a poker bankroll is the amount of cash available at a moments notice, like in a ring game. You want to be able to reload as necessary.

If you keep your cash off site, there will be a delay, and at some point, it will not get to you fast enough to capitalize on an opportunity.

In your statement you make the case for a bankroll being a state of mind, and in that case what you do is very sane. But even tho you state it is easy to move money around, often it just isn't fast enough. Also consider again that it ain't so easy to move money in the land of freedom....:eek:

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the US, bank account pay like a quarter of a percent, if that. Not really worth it. A thousand dollars will earn $2.50 or less in a year before taxes. If someone is beating the game at current stakes and they have a nice bankroll, they may consider moving up in stakes. In that case, they should have the "extra" money in their account to cover variance and so they won't start playing scared.

2ofdakind

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow that really sucks for you guys in the states.. up here in canada I can throw 1000 into a temp ING savings account i can withdraw from anytime that gives me 4.5 %.. it's my secondary roll..

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I won't be taking any $'s off my main online poker acc't. until I have ~$20,000..... in other words.... won't be pulling any off anytime soon, lol.

DSpeirs

DSpeirs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolute Poker gives 6% interest if u average a roll there of over $100k.....buuuttt unfortunately my roll is 1/50th of that and I play on FTP. When the time comes and roll hits over $20k, half goes into a money market account, which yeilds higher interest than a normal savings. Normal savings accounts these days are worthless. So many lucrative nests to store your $ other than a saving acc. That's my opinion.

FreeRollWannabe

FreeRollWannabe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Taxes?

Wouldn't withdrawing 9k make more sense than withdrawing 10k? I thought I had read somewhere that Poker winnings fall under the same category as Lottery Winnings, which taxes start at roughly 9.5k and is at 30%.

So I thought if you withdrew 10k, you fall in that tax bracket and then fork over 3k in taxes, netting you 7k.
But if you withdrew 9k, you fall below tax bracket and you keep it all.

Of course this would all be moot if you where withdrawing 13k or more a year in winnings.

Unless you can file online winnings as a business. (Which I am thinking may be illegal in the U.S.?)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless you can file online winnings as a business. (Which I am thinking may be illegal in the U.S.?)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you are a Pro Poker Player then you might set yourself up with a 1099 tax situation (commissioned sales for example) where almost everything that gets you out of your house in the morning can be deducted as a business expense.