Where should you play your bankroll??

T

texasdo11y

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont know about the rest of you guys, but the question for a young poker hot shot like myself when I started playing was which GAME should I plunk my hard earned greenbacks into? Not which site mind you, or even which game (omaha, stuf etc. etc.). My mystery was do I play the sit and goes? Do I play the .5-1's? Do I say screw it and put my hundred dollars at risk in one hand of a 10-20 table? I know that coventional wisdom and Nick (sup man, great site), say that 200 to 300 big bets is almost mandatory. Just for the sake of arguement though, lets examine my first time out at a site which I have since abandoned. There I am sitting in front of my PC, with dreams of paying off the house and that new vette I always wanted falling into my hands by next friday. I check my poker player for brand new fish handbook, pick the 5+1 sit and goes and I am off. There I am six hands in with a beaut of slick suited ( in clubs mind you, which I think are WAY better lookin than spades) and I put out a nice fat raise!!! Whats this?? six callers??? WTF? Okay...poker oddity right? We have ALL the big cards out and a couple of tiny pocket pair, I can dig this. The flop comes....A(h) 10 (s) J (s) so much for my theory of all the big cards in hand. I think big kicker straight draw. I bet, 4 callers...actually, I am not gonna bore you with the rest of this hand just suffice to say that the cat playin the 10 2 of hearts caught his flush on the ri ver, never could figure out why he called my pre flop bet but hey...poker oddity right? Nope, as a lot of you have figured out, at the lower limits the attention to the game is a lot less than I expect. I suscribe to the theory that all my beats SHOULD be bad beats because I am gonna get involved in a hand with the best of it or close to it, but when someone isnt all that worried about the stakes( Hey an, its only a five dollar game) the play becomes really unpredictable. With that in mind I hereby submit for consideration of the poker playing authorities this mindset, If you can forego convetional wisdom, play a higher limit than your bankroll suggests. I beleive the quality of your opponents makes the additional risk well worth it. I had little to no success at the low limits of internet poker, while I am enjoying a bit of success at the mid limits. Less people at these tables seem to think that the ten or twenty dollars invested is a pittance and will give you a better run. They will punish you with good hands, they are aggresive, they want your money......THEY ARE NOT PLAYING 3-8 OFFSUIT AGAINST A MID_SIZED RAISE. Give it a spin, your bankroll will thank you:adore:

C

CAJUN43

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
insightful on your part

impressed with your message; can only hope that more people read it, since many low-limit players would benefit from what you've said. post more of your thoughts, you're going in the right direction.

max_barry

max_barry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Becuase i do not deposit money, i cannot really play at high or med limits. Anyway i was playing one hand at paciific and i was in a cash game. $1-2. I had 7-6 suited and called the BB. Then it was raised etc, ect and becuase i was low on chips i thought i may aswell, it is a big drawing hand. So it worked perfectly becuase i had flopped 2 pair. I bet out again and again and then 2 clubs came on river and turn. I just knew i was going to get done to a flush in a like a $50 pot when i had been massive favourite from the flop. So i had ta call my last $1.25 and the guy turns over A-3 clubs. I mean ok to see a flop (we were like 5 handed) but to call again and again and then to hit to perfect cards. I was very annoyed. Is this bad luck, or is this just shitty play at the low limits??

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management