When is someone considered a professional poker player?

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello

I believe when you can make a real living playing poker then you can call yourself a pro.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Starting from the point that your main income is poker related, your resources define your level of "professionalism." There will be moments of elegance which your peers will appreciate and which normal folk just won't register. The trick here is to have such moments over many years. My two cents.

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They say that what makes you a professional poker player is the control of the bankroll .. since the professional players play because they live on that and the recreational players play to have a good time and if they win well and also.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion you can't consider yourself a pro unless you can support your life from playing .

Mickflava888

Mickflava888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i love this reply & could not have put it better. it think it applies more so to live games but just as much if you can read opponents online your certainly on ur way #LiveForPoker

Mickflava888

Mickflava888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off to each their own.
However, the things you mentioned are myths.

Setting your own hours? Nope, if you want to make money you need to play against people worse than you are. This means mostly weekends, and always at night.

Taking time off? I get 5 weeks a year at my job, it's more than enough.

Traveling to events... I do it all the time, no need to be a pro for that.

My point is that having a regular full time job is far better than trying to play poker for a living. In my opinion.

I still put in around 20 hours a week at the tables too.....

I suggest a full time job and poker as a second income.

good luck buddy.
yuup too true Phil.Helmuth is a part time plumber lol [emoji111] peace Smokey

K

KevinLee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When the majority of your income is derived from playing poker.

P

pokerpick311

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The study and the ability to improve are essential. The most advisable thing is to find the game discipline that suits us best. Patience is a more important virtue in tournaments with normal structures. Accept the bad spells. Learn correct banking management. I study outside the tables.:rolleyes: