When I haven't played poker for a while...

L

Leroydubz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tend to have a fresh perspective of the game. ive been playing for 4 months straight now though, and not think about breaking anytime soon

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What do you think? If you take breaks in the game, does your skill get lost or does it stay in place...
Hi :)
Depends on how long the break was. If it's a break lasting a few days, then in my case, I don't lose shape, on the contrary, I become more patient, make better decisions and always have a better result. But if the break is more than a month, then it will probably take a few days to get back in shape :)

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Relearning is actually much more difficult than learning something from scratch. But this is no longer a story about a “return”, but about a “correction” of crooked ideas laid down earlier.Over all these years, poker has not changed a bit, and all the old tricks work like clockwork. People play very loosely preflop, fold too often to continuation bets, defend their checks poorly, and on top of that they fold too often on the river in big pots.I didn’t play poker for about five years and I managed to come back and become a regular, which means that anyone can do it with the right amount of desire.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Of course, the skill remains your knowledge can only be old so you have to play poker all the time then you will have good poker skills if you don't play for a long time you forget and start playing worse and worse you need to play at least 2-3 times a week

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that if there is a long break, then the playing skills deteriorate a little, but regaining the skills is much easier and faster than learning to play from scratch!!!

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Breaks can be a positive, imo. I've been doing some side jobs, so my playing some real poker (real $, not freerolls) has been put on a back burner, sort of speak. After about a week or so I went and played in a sng and took it down. It was PLO8 but hey, less cheating bots, right? :unsure: Pfft... right. Seriously though, returning to the game after a small break can be a good thing.

Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I have generally experienced benefits from it.
When I take a break from playing for a while, I come back with a lot of enthusiasm and focus much more. Sometimes, when I play too often, I tend to do everything automatically.
It's possible that if you are very skilled at playing, taking a break may work against you, but in my case, it's not like that.

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I already had a couple of 1-2 month breaks.
I always came back much fresher, with more enthusiasm, and in a better mental state.
I didn't feel that I was less prepared.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's good to take breaks from poker and I always think that I come back to play better after a break. You never forget how to play, but your mind is fresh and you can be more focused on the game.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't know the skill, but the head returns to its place.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What do you think? If you take breaks in the game, does your skill get lost or does it stay in place...
Hi :)
I take very short breaks, 1-2 days and so it doesn't affect my skills or experience in any way, or rather my short breaks only have a positive effect on my game, after the breaks I play much more patient and focused.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I once took my 4 year old Daughter for her first swimming Lesson, When she saw someone diving in at the deep end, "Can you do that Daddy?" she asked and of course I said "yes", "Show Me, Show Me, " she chanted until I said "ok You sit here and I will show you" I walked down the side of the pool, stood at the deep end, took a deep breath, and Dived in.
Now it had been a few years since I had been in a Pool, and flying through the Air a thought entered my head, Can you Forget how to Swim? I would soon find out! I hit the water, went under for a few seconds and then rose to the surface swimming like a Pro.
This impressed my Daughter so much she said "will I be able to do that?" "One day" I said "but not Today Honey".
Swimming, Riding a Bike, even Playing Poker is something I will never forget how to do, I might be a little rusty to begin with, but with patience it will always come back to you!

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I take a break from the game I feel like I'm losing experience and need a week to recover:(

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I took a few years off. Forgot how it was playing freerolls, donkeys vs serious players. How much of a time waste it all is playing them. Only the good cc ones are really worth playing. Looking forward to qualifying for silver level and up.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to play in the different kinds of Poker Every Day, because "Practice makes Perfect!" That's all!

S

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
kids have scenario based solver Apps on their phones now. like chess problems used to be like in the news paper. poker might get alot less fun

M

MF.Brn

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I haven't played for about 3 months now, I don't know when I'll be back, but I think it's like riding a bike, after learning it's over.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I'm currently on a 1 month break, I plan to come back even fresher. I needed to take this time to enjoy my life and my family too.

jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
It happened to me after a few years of break, I returned with better skills, probably because I was young that time, maturity makes you think more XD

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this situation for me it takes a day to recover my neuronal network for poker

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Skill increases with a wellrested brain.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think sometimes a change is as good as a rest .. playing a different form of poker for a while can give you a fresh perspective too👍

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Once you've got the skill you never lose it. It's just just a matter of warming up, when you come back.