When to bet on the river?

D

dumpy620_84

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just a problem that I seem to be encountering whilst playing and thats when I should value bet on the river when I have a good, but not great hand thats probably ahead.
Say I have raised preflop, and then caught top pair with topkicker, and have bet 3/4 of the pot after the flop, and on the turn, and no straights or flushes draws have been in play. This is where I worry that the player that has called me all the way has checked on the river ready to reraise my bet, and often I will check too, and will possibly miss a bet that I could have got on the River. Just wondering how other people play those kind of situations - its easier when a feasible drawing hand makes it, but its those situations when it doesnt!!

S

Sportsmenc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Say I have raised preflop, and then caught top pair with topkicker, and have bet 3/4 of the pot after the flop" - I preffer the 1 pot
"On the turn, and no straights or flushes draws have been in play" - again 1 pot bet.

P

PokerJoeAAAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Say I have raised preflop, and then caught top pair with topkicker, and have bet 3/4 of the pot after the flop" - I preffer the 1 pot
"On the turn, and no straights or flushes draws have been in play" - again 1 pot bet.

What? :joyman: How does that answer the question?

It is a very good question. But I think it is better to miss a bet every now ant then, rather then betting and getting reraised with a hand that is not strong enough to call a reraise. So I think to myself, if he rerasies will I call or raise, if so then I bet, if I say I would fold to a reraise, then I would check it.