When to allow rebuys on a tourney?

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When is the rebuy option normally allowed for a rebuy tourney? Is it when someone's stack is X% of the original by-in? I want to host a (cheap) home game with $5 buy-in and $5 re-buys, but I know you can't rebuy to be over the leader, so when should people be allowed to rebuy (not add-on)?

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
For live games, it's usually when the player has busted. Online, most sites allow it when you are at or below the starting chips.

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can usually do an add-on to start (1 rebuy there) and if you bust out you can rebuy. Then at the end of the rebuy period (typically until the first break or 4 levels) all players can buy an add-on (equal to 1 rebuy).

This is why I like cash games for home games.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have some fun and make it a knockout rebuy. $5 for each stack of chips and you can only buy if you go bust + $1 for a knockout chip. When a player gets busted they give 1 KO chip to the player that busted them. After the rebuy period is over when a player is busted they give 1 KO chip to the buster and can cash in any extra KO chips they still have.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When we did our monthly tourney as a rebuy, we did unlimited rebuys during the 1st 4 blind levels (2 hours) and then an add-on after the 4th blind level. Players had to be out of chips to rebuy.

Rebuy tourneys can get crazy and you'll want to have someone not playing who will be handing out the rebuy chips and collecting the $$. Also remember that your tourney will generally last longer because there will be a lot more chips on the table during the latter stages so the pressure to play won't be as great.

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When we did our monthly tourney as a rebuy, we did unlimited rebuys during the 1st 4 blind levels (2 hours) and then an add-on after the 4th blind level. Players had to be out of chips to rebuy.

Rebuy tourneys can get crazy and you'll want to have someone not playing who will be handing out the rebuy chips and collecting the $$. Also remember that your tourney will generally last longer because there will be a lot more chips on the table during the latter stages so the pressure to play won't be as great.

I generally do the first hour which is 3-4 levels depending on 15/20 minute blinds. However, I've never known the best way to handle rebuys. Obvously if someone is busted they can rebuy. We start with $2K in chips, so the question comes in when someone has say $100 +/-$50, that's pretty short and they typically ask to rebuy. I was just trying to think of a rule I could put in place so everyone is on the same page.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Our rule was that you had to be busted but you could really set it up however you want. Maybe any time someone has less than the BB they could rebuy or less than 10BBs (or whatever).