Whats the deal with folding when you could just check

Vhyre

Vhyre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I keep the check reminder activated. I have folded hands like that when playing multiple tables. I don't really get why anyone would do so if they can see a free card. If I have decided to fold to the next bet and it doesn't come, I'm sticking around

S

sleepymike

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have, not often at all, only late in a tourney, just to screw with people.

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To deny players information, when you know you're going to lose the hand.

T

Titleist1977

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen alot of people fold & not check. Me if i can see the flop I am going to never no what cards might come out!!!

S

suitedslick

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On tilt and just wanted to speed up the game

A

AAChipMagnet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone might fold instead of check if they know they most likely won't win it and they want to encourage others at the table into action that might better their chances of cashing.

F

Frankie6636

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many times I do this!!! It is usually because I have to go to the crapper. I never fold in any other situation. Just this one. LOL.

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually do this is I need to get up to do something and know I have no chance what so ever to win the hand

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is poker settings problem

EXX2
could be like this
EXX
could be like this

PS: quick folding is also a way of saving time and jumping into next hand. since if u realized that you are way behind...why not fold....LOL

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know why people do it... It's clearly a -EV play and they're not "concealing" anything if you muck... We still know you had trash...it doesn't really matter if it was 25 or 74...

The excuse of mucking to save yourself from hitting something later... Do they have no confidence in their post flop skills? Do they know they are a calling station,? I can't tell you how many times I've checked down a hand on the worst flop ever, Then I river a crappy pair and win at showdown because they had 22 or 33 and we're even more afraid of the board than me.

So what if I have 23 and the flop comes AKQ... What if the turn and river are a jack and ten...I've actually played a hand like that before, btw. I was in the blinds, we checked it down and it was a split pot with 5 card straight on board. My opponent actually turned a pair, but failed to bet so I won half the pot on the river.. Never underestimate the stupidity if your opponents.... Give then a chance to give you free chips.

These are probably the same people who give the sitters a walk..

Last edited:
dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Someone did just this (folded when he/she could have checked) and I was holding a Royal Flush.
I'm either blind or confused, if this statement is based on the screenshot shown.

1. I see where nobody folded when they could have checked. You and sandyhook limped (?) and BB called. BB checks flop, you minbet (??), sandy calls, BB folds. While a minbet is often referred to as a check, you can't really say BB folded when he could have checked here. Unless I'm missing something?

2. Minor technicality, but you didn't actually hold a royal. :) The hand ended on the turn and you rabbitted the river As, but rabbitting is actually a useless gimmick since Merge has a continuous shuffle. A millisecond sooner or later for any of the previous action (or if sandy called the turn bet) and that would have been a different river card. The only site where rabbitting would accurately indicate the cards to come is pokerstars, where they have a static shuffle just like a live dealer. It's really a useless feature designed to appease the fish who like to rabbit. Of course the point could be made that it's not a useless feature if it encourages fish to keep chasing with crap hands, LOL.

S

sleepymike

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone might fold instead of check if they know they most likely won't win it and they want to encourage others at the table into action that might better their chances of cashing.
I agree with this, late in tourney.

Folding in Poker