What I HATE About the TV Poker Shows

RichKo

RichKo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So.....how did everyone learn to shuffle chips? Does doing so just come naturally or like poker does it take practice, practice, practice? Are there different techniques? Is there a totally foolproof way?

I saw a demonstration on you tube, and yes it's just about practicing. Start with 6 chips and practice till you get the hang of it. At first you will probably get it right a few times then fumble around for a while. But when you finally get the hang of it...doing 10+ you will laugh at the fact that just a while ago you couldnt do a small stack. I always shuffle with my right hand and was able to do it for a while before I tried to use my left hand and it was weird how I could do it right away. Especially since I can't do anything left handed.

Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you really get good at chip shuffling try this. Take 5 of 2 different colors and in 6 shuffles go from 5 colors on top and 5 on bottom and reverse the order of colors like this using say white chips and red chip im gonna use smileys for this example.

SO START WITH STACK LIKE THIS
:)
:mad:
ok first shuffle they look like this
ok second shuffle like this
third shuffle
fourth shuffle
fifth shuffle
and then the final shuffle should put your chips in reverse order
Now thats how i shuffle my chips it takes lots of practice but once you have it down you dont even have to think about it and if you have people pay attention to you doing it, it makes you a little scarier at the tables.

R

Ranger390

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also constantly shuffle chips when playing live. I don't mind the chip noise on TV poker nearly as much as I mind the chat about the prop bets. PAD needs to do exactly what HSP did and ban the prop betting during the show. It's exceedingly distracting to both the players and the audience.

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i riffle chips when i play online--up until the point my grandson steals my chips - lol.
i think the riffling keeps some players on thier poker face and also helps with concentration. or maybe some are trying to show off, lol, those huge hands that can manage a huge stack.
with my small hands i can only manage eight chips comfortably and keep a smooth rythym.
gl and peace. happy riffling...............hehehe.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
RichKo--wow. Thanks. I had been fumbling with my right hand and today tried my left. Like you, for some crazy reason, I did much better but still have a long way to go.

Grossberger I thought your graphic was great and I'm hoping the visual will magically trigger something in my brain about mastering this skill. Hmmm...on another note, I see you are from OH. North, Central, South? Do you play live anywhere?

Nexus6

Nexus6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The clickety clicket click has a rythem to it .
The mouse for online has no rhythm only click click click click .

when you learn how to do Pull Over Shuffling Butterfly, Butterfly Collapse, Butterfly Balance Anti Gravity Muscle Pass Twirl, Twirl Reversed Front to Back Flip, Thumb Flip Knuckle Roll, Knuckle Roll Return Multiple Rolling, Table Chip Rolling, Block Chip Rolling Chip Spread Sweep Chip Production Bounce Stack 'Rich Bet' or Hidden Chip It makes the mouse even more usless and boring to use while playing poker. You and your mouse seem inseparable though..

K

KDS63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the chip noise too -- I associate it with the excitement of a new tourney starting. Try a live game/tourney and you might grow to like it.

Nexus6

Nexus6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also constantly shuffle chips when playing live. I don't mind the chip noise on TV poker nearly as much as I mind the chat about the prop bets. PAD needs to do exactly what HSP did and ban the prop betting during the show. It's exceedingly distracting to both the players and the audience.
The example i'm using below is from the PAD with Tom Dwan, Phil Ivey, cool Finn Patrik Antonius, Ilari ‘Ziigmund’ Sahmies, Howard Lederer and Eli Elezra

I think phil ivey and others where doing it to undermind Tom Dwan's aggressive play And get Tom confused on his reads because the props change how that player who is prop betting on how he plays his hand. What we saw that night what we learned of that night with them on poker after dark was priceless.
We saw how veteran poker players handle aggression at the highest levels in live play . Real gritty stuff . It was amazing ...

Last edited:
G

greglaz81

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shuffling your chips is a part of the game. I recently went to whatch the world series and you can hear the chip noice from down the hall, it was actaully pretty cool listening to a few 1000 players playing with thier chips. On poker After Dark its so quite that the chips are extra loud but at least they show every hand and how the game is really played, not only the best hands.

PNJs_dad

PNJs_dad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shuffling your chips is fun. I got pretty good at it one time when I practiced every time I played online. I got out of practice and now can't do it as well. But I do agree it is a little distracting on PAD. It's just too loud. It's the only poker show that it seems this way.

Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
RichKo--wow. Thanks. I had been fumbling with my right hand and today tried my left. Like you, for some crazy reason, I did much better but still have a long way to go.

Grossberger I thought your graphic was great and I'm hoping the visual will magically trigger something in my brain about mastering this skill. Hmmm...on another note, I see you are from OH. North, Central, South? Do you play live anywhere?

I'm in the cleveland area, right now we play a very small game at a friends house usually fri or sat I sometimes goto mountaineer however not having a job for 11 months now It's been tough to make it there.

A

acemeh1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The example i'm using below is from the PAD with Tom Dwan, Phil Ivey, cool Finn Patrik Antonius, Ilari ‘Ziigmund’ Sahmies, Howard Lederer and Eli Elezra

I think phil ivey and others where doing it to undermind Tom Dwan's aggressive play And get Tom confused on his reads because the props change how that player who is prop betting on how he plays his hand. What we saw that night what we learned of that night with them on poker after dark was priceless.
We saw how veteran poker players handle aggression at the highest levels in live play . Real gritty stuff . It was amazing ...

That was a great episode, if we're thinking of the same one, is it where Ivey KRUSH Lederer, and then tells him that to his face - wow - and with the constant props on red/black? Of course I max respected Ivey as number1 before but watching him on that show just took it to the next level (God of all Poker). I hear Dwan's OK too.....
I think you're so right on the props too, actually didn't occur to me they were using it as a tactic.....the props were bigger than the hands......but then again, it's an even money prop so you can bet it all day as a tactic yes. Very cunning.
I like the chip clack too.

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Props aren't quite even money. If you miss your prop then you don't get it. I think there was a hand where Antonius missed his suit, but it's hard to tell with the editing. So if there's a guy who sometimes misses his props, you're getting an edge on him.

A

acemeh1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ok - you mean miss as in didn't see it? Actually i'm watching the episodes all over again for lessons:
Top Guns Cash Game

Dwan is actually reading off the props when someone limps in for example they got reds, he's using that to put them on nothing hand, blacks, but that maybe over-thinking it? If I tried to read that deep I would get so lost but then I'm playing micro tournys on PS so.........

zjohnzzz

zjohnzzz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree the chip noise is very aggravating, played in a league at a bar if it wasnt for the jukebox the chip shuffling would of drove me nuts, if i ever play in a big live tourney earplugs will be a necessity for me:eek:

Last edited:
moemtg

moemtg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LMFAO, its all in the game!

I honestly dont notice it that much at all... have the volume all the way down as to not disturb roomates... its also a psychological deal too... I dunno I know some chip tricks myself... just imagine sitting there through 12 hour agonizing days... you'd get bored too bro..

Moe.

deucem

deucem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing that I most hate about TV poker is the advertisements.

Here in Australia you are lucky to get 7 hands/hour which drives me crazy as I would prefer to see the action.

Last edited:
G

greglaz81

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was watching PAD today and since I got involved with this discussion i started noticing the chip noice............it is super irritating. As MOEMTG said, you get bored sitting there for hours so you need to play with something.

Baby Jesus

Baby Jesus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate haters ,poker after dark rules

Nexus6

Nexus6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was a great episode, if we're thinking of the same one, is it where Ivey KRUSH Lederer, and then tells him that to his face - wow - and with the constant props on red/black? Of course I max respected Ivey as number1 before but watching him on that show just took it to the next level (God of all Poker). I hear Dwan's OK too.....
I think you're so right on the props too, actually didn't occur to me they were using it as a tactic.....the props were bigger than the hands......but then again, it's an even money prop so you can bet it all day as a tactic yes. Very cunning.
I like the chip clack too.
yes it is the same episode.. Like Ivey said when he looked at his hand and said "well since I'm good on the prop I can play this hand" (went something like that) and he glanced Dwans way. So That keeps Dwan from doing anything foolish or at least keeps him a little more honestly confused lol... It worked I think. Dwan Instead started playing way over his head and ran into loosing 3 pots in a row around over 40k each. Dwan plays at the highest levels Like the way I do when I learned how to beat play money at the 200 400 buy in tables lol..