What happens to your online bankroll if you die?

imasquare

imasquare

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never thought about that, but i never thought about dying either, i rather let death surprise me, so as long as im living my stuff is mine and i don't care about it when i die..........i hope i could play poker down there when im dead.

Pokah Man

Pokah Man

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why worry about poker funds when you die? Just get your next of kin to sit you out, bury you with your laptop, and you can resume play once you get to heaven.. ..

I mean really, you think God doesn't have wireless internet or something??? He's got wifi for your azz up there! sheesh, ya'll worry too much.. .. .

And if you happen to head in the other direction when you die(south of heaven)you will be fine too, i hear they are still on dialup down there, but the good thing is you never have to worry about getting cold decked.

Pokerstudent

Pokerstudent

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dilemna

It is a bit of a dilemna isn't it? If someone else tries to get into your account, isn't that having someone else play your account? From the broad definition of the rules, I think it would be in violation.

They would probably have to judge it on a case-by-case basis though. Although it's hard to argue with the evidence when someone dies. Guess that's really 'drawing dead'....

Had to do it!

Dank Hugh

Dank Hugh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ouch ! "drawing dead" indeed !!

I like the idea in the article of leaving a USB flash drive with

all your online info where loved one will find it.

I want my wife to cash in my Poker bankroll after I'm gone !!

No violation to have a check sent to "me" after I'm gone.

Pokerstudent

Pokerstudent

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe you try to claim the dead bankroll in probate. Or put it into the next freeroll! I'd play, that's for sure!

DogzBestFrnd

DogzBestFrnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I decided to e-mail FullTilt support because I couldnt find anything in their policies about it. Part of their reply is below.

Should you pass on and leave a balance in your Full Tilt Poker account, simply
have your executor contact us at this email address (support@fulltiltpoker.com). We do have a policy in
place and we'll make sure that any cash balance is returned to your estate to be
distributed as you've directed in your will.

BTW, I would suggest to everyone that every have a will. Even if you do not have alot to leave, you never know when you might. And wouldnt it be a shame if the day you hit it big you also croke? Then Uncle Sam (or your goverment) decides how to distribute your assests (AIG). If you dont have anyone to leave it to; pick a charity, leave it to CC fo a memorial freeroll, or have them bury you with it if you want.
It cost me $50 to make my will and have it noterised. I like to reveiw it once a year (usually when I do my taxes) and up-date it if needed.
So if you have more than $50 to leave behind it is worth it.

popo12

popo12

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems like quite a conundrum (is that the spelling??), however it is possible. I, also haven't established such a large bankroll...but if I do, I would leave instructions in my will. Surely the online site couldn't keep the money if you were legitimately registered..

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have an alternative story from real life. A guy that works with my mom was married with a kid. He let his wife play online sometimes. He played up to 5/10 and although he never gave a specific number pretty sure he had around 20k online. So they get into a big fight and currently they're divorced, but before the divorce his wife drained the poker account (as well as their mutual bank account). Since they were married at the time there was nothing he could do and now he's out that money. So it works both ways. If you're going to share a password, make sure it's someone you really really trust and wouldn't mind giving them the cash to hold and trust them to give it back to you.

ABorges

ABorges

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obvious question here is if you're dead, who cares what happens?

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got killed in the cash game last night!

Seriously, a good post and some good answers, especially DogsBestFrnd's post about the Full Tilt policy - just tell your loved ones what sites you play on and you're all set even if they don't know the passwords...

L

leavem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nobody, not even my hubby know my passwords so my online bankroll would probably be lost. But it would never be any real amount that my family needs to worry about it. I withdraw any large amounts. As for my online friends, my hubby knows how to contact them and they would probably inform the rest of the forums of my untimely demise.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great post,My girl knows alot of sites i belong to online as well as close friends that share the same sites with me.
She would either contact them i suppose or contact mods at the sites.
I still wonder about your bankrolls though.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My husbad wouldn't have a clue what to do. My mom plays online though and has all my info, I told her to transfer any money to her accounts.

As for letting cc people know, I guess if the cc member I recently met in person (fluke chance in a live tourney) were to find out he could let you all know.

D

dillingerdis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty crazy, you never really think about that kind of thing. Interesting article, thanks.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean really, you think God doesn't have wireless internet or something??? He's got wifi for your azz up there! sheesh, ya'll worry too much.. .. .

And if you happen to head in the other direction when you die(south of heaven)you will be fine too, i hear they are still on dialup down there, but the good thing is you never have to worry about getting cold decked.

Wait, so all of those people who disconnect are really dead? And here we all are worrying about bots...:D

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My gf knows all my pws but had to swear to never play a CC freeroll for me - well looking at todays game she probably should rather play for me... :eek:.

A

AUPhoenix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dead

Obvious question here is if you're dead, who cares what happens?

My wife and daughter might like to have the money I have won. It would take them to McDonald's for lunch.:)

Snowman1964

Snowman1964

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sadly I never have any money in my poker accounts to worry about leaving the current Mrs Snowman anything. However, I would like to leave her somthing to remember me...VD perhaps.

Philo Betto420

Philo Betto420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think that if you had a sizable bankroll you would have already let those close to you know. And if you haven't then your probably a hermit. I really wonder what a poker site would say in the matter. Under the assumption that it had gone unclaimed or not played??? Is there a statute of limitations where your bank roll is just absorbed???

BET YOU CANT FIND THAT IN THE TOS OF YOUR FAVORITE SITE!!! LMAO... :deal: :deal: :deal:

D

deumsac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I had a large BR, I'd write an official will and include the information about my account for a certain, special person.

A

always2away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The poker accounts are just like bank accounts as far as my wife is concerned and she has info to access them as well as the info to access the forums.

I have asked her to take the time to post the same obituary to the forums as she will post in the paper.

A

always2away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am fairly certain that all of the poker rooms have limitations on inactivity to an individual account and that when that limit is reached the money in the account escheats to the poker room.

R

RA2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, if you do not tell the people who will get all your things your password or that you have an account they will be in trouble.
They could get the password from the pokerroom, but they have to know that their is an account!

J

jedimoose

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good topic. My wife and kids wouldnt have a clue what to do. Im guessing some of the older sites must clean out accounts from time to time if inavtive for very long periods of time. I know they did this at Bugsys before they closed, but you got it back when you contacted them.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management