What does it take to be a pro?

B

badalhoco345

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that to be a pro we have to watch some vídeos and tournments of the best players to learn a little bit with them; we should start from down and going increasing our winnings and growing in the tournments; we should learn in every tournment and review our hands (especially those hands we lose to do better in the next); we should frequent blogs and fóruns to talk about our experiences and read about the others experiences to also learn; and of course we have to had a lot of luck.

Thats my opinion.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off I'd prefer answers from pros and semi pros mainly but if your not either, which I expect most not to be I still wouldn't mind hearing your opinions! With that said I really want to know what it takes to be a pro. It is my dream and I think for me it is a reasonable dream, here is why. First I'm still young I have nothing huge tying me down like a wife or kids. If I wanted to I could grab some clothes, money, and my other valuables get in my truck and be in Vegas in 3-4 days. But its also not like I plan on going pro tomorrow I'm thinking more along the lines of the next 2-5 years. By then I'll have enough money saved up, and studied enough to finally turn my dream to reality. Also poker is my everything, yes I'm a no life and I think that will also help me in my success. I'm not an addict though I don't always think poker, poker, poker. There are other things on my mind like sex, money, friends, family. If I didn't think poker was profitable I would only play it every once in a while for fun. Below I'm going to list things I have or have done that seem important in this goal.
1. Experience- I've been playing poker since I was 15 and became serious with it at 16. I've played a little live but mostly online.
2. I'm strong emotionally I can hide my feelings and have been doing so for years my temper doesn't flare up and I haven't cussed anyone out since I was a kid. Emotion doesn't effect my judgment.
3. I've done my homework, I've read two books The Poker Mindset and Texas Hold'em odds an probabilities. I plan on reading more in the future. I have read countless internet post and articles on 2+2 and Cards Chat. I have also watched many instructional videos.
4. I'm my only support. I can't tell you how many people have tried to discourage me from poker, to many to count. I don't have one single supporter besides myself and that is what drives me to take it to the next level.
5. I'm good at math. All throughout school I was always in advanced math classes earning extra math credits in high school.
6. I'm ITM 33.2% of the time. I understand that to be a good rate also.
7. I know many games not just hold'em. EX. 5 card draw, 7 stud, Omaha, Irish, 2-7 triple and single draw, and a few others I'm forgetting about at the moment.
8. All my knowledge of poker is self taught, like books, videos, etc. nobody specifically showed me anything.
9. I have plenty of time to invest into learning new things about the game.
10. I know things already like polarizing range, pot odds, statistics, outs, BRM etc.
11. I'm a winning player I've won more than I've lost and I'm not just on some epic heater believe me I've lost my whole roll due to bad brm but I've fixed that since then. And I've dealt with a few nasty down swings.
That's all I can think of now but I will think of more later and add them.
So what are things I still need to learn and go over in time before I go pro and any advice that would be helpful would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

So lets see your results over the last, say, hundred thousand hands online....

If you are crushing 50NL, then we can talk more seriously.

Lets see those numbers kid....

CrockPot

CrockPot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So lets see your results over the last, say, hundred thousand hands online....

If you are crushing 50NL, then we can talk more seriously.

Lets see those numbers kid....

I'm grinding online MTT's now...I only play about 1-2 cash sessions a week these days, whenever there's not a good tourney running. Are you a pro?

or3o1990

or3o1990

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm grinding online MTT's now...I only play about 1-2 cash sessions a week these days, whenever there's not a good tourney running. Are you a pro?

You've got to appreciate how some of the Sr. members only drop by to say something condescending real quick and give you next to no useful info to work with:D

I've been maintaining success in my SNG's and I've started mixing in the nightly 30k mtt's the past two days and plan to continue doing so. No luck in the mtt's so far. How are the mtts working out for you? Also, what BI are you playing them at, what volume and how in the heck do you live with the variance!?

CrockPot

CrockPot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You've got to appreciate how some of the Sr. members only drop by to say something condescending real quick and give you next to no useful info to work with:D

I've been maintaining success in my SNG's and I've started mixing in the nightly 30k mtt's the past two days and plan to continue doing so. No luck in the mtt's so far. How are the mtts working out for you? Also, what BI are you playing them at, what volume and how in the heck do you live with the variance!?

I've been playing MTT's up to $35 buy ins (so not really that big, but I'm not living off this money at this time anyway). I have done pretty well lately, no wins but a couple 3rd's and a few FT's.

Really I just play whatever is available. So if my normal stakes aren't available I'll drop down a stake until I find a tourney coming up that's to my liking structurally. Typically these are small field tourneys, due to the whole headache that is the US online market.

Though I have done decent lately it is mostly through some miracles as I have been running like shit the past week, variance sucks. On a week day Im only available in the afternoon and nights therefore I only get to average 1 tourney per night. On the weekends I could get in up to 6 give or take, plus a cash game or two per day. I like to just focus on 1 tournament at a time, you'll have better results if you just totally focus on 1 rather than multi tabling. I thoroughly enjoy MTT's which is the main reason I focous on them, unlike in a cash game you can pick up momentum in MTT's- maybe this is just a me thing though. Good luck and **** the haters.

or3o1990

or3o1990

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice. It's been awhile since I've final tabled an mtt. I've only played two lately though, so I'm hoping. I really enjoy mtts too but it's more irritating when you bust imo. In a sng you can just fire up another.

I haven't ran good in the two so far. Lost my first one with AA vs 66 vs a small stacks AK. They were on my right and the 66 had me covered and tried to isolate the little guy and I shove but he flops his 6. It's gonna happen but somehow it gets under my skin in mtts a little more idk.

I'm usually playing a four tables always. It's hard to get volume on bovada tho.

H

HooDooKoo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing MTT's up to $35 buy ins (so not really that big, but I'm not living off this money at this time anyway). I have done pretty well lately, no wins but a couple 3rd's and a few FT's.

Really I just play whatever is available. So if my normal stakes aren't available I'll drop down a stake until I find a tourney coming up that's to my liking structurally. Typically these are small field tourneys, due to the whole headache that is the US online market.

Though I have done decent lately it is mostly through some miracles as I have been running like shit the past week, variance sucks. On a week day Im only available in the afternoon and nights therefore I only get to average 1 tourney per night. On the weekends I could get in up to 6 give or take, plus a cash game or two per day. I like to just focus on 1 tournament at a time, you'll have better results if you just totally focus on 1 rather than multi tabling. I thoroughly enjoy MTT's which is the main reason I focous on them, unlike in a cash game you can pick up momentum in MTT's- maybe this is just a me thing though. Good luck and **** the haters.

If you're trying to build a bankroll that will allow you to play for a living in the future then you should be playing exclusively cash games. The variance in MTTs makes it difficult for even the best players in the world to turn a significant profit.

You will be much better served by focusing on cash games, where variance is a lesser factor and you can just rebuy when variance bites. Additionally, your income is MUCH more predictable as a cash game player than as an MTT player, and that's very important when you have expenses to cover and you're playing for a living.

Good luck.

-HooDooKoo

CrockPot

CrockPot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're trying to build a bankroll that will allow you to play for a living in the future then you should be playing exclusively cash games. The variance in MTTs makes it difficult for even the best players in the world to turn a significant profit.

You will be much better served by focusing on cash games, where variance is a lesser factor and you can just rebuy when variance bites. Additionally, your income is MUCH more predictable as a cash game player than as an MTT player, and that's very important when you have expenses to cover and you're playing for a living.

Good luck.

-HooDooKoo

Hey, thanks. What I think I'll do is try to play more cash sessions and study up on that, then determine from there what I want to move forward with. Good luck to you as well!

BiliousBetil

BiliousBetil

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I strongly suspect that like any other professional endeavor, the two key elements are talent and perseverance in equal amounts.

Ducbim

Ducbim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be considered a Pro a guy must play million of hands every year for several year with decent with rate. Otherwise it is just short term luck.

bezobrazny

bezobrazny

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You got to have lot of cash, that simple. No matter, winning or loosing. :D

CrockPot

CrockPot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just a small update for about the last month I've been playing exclusively cash games. In the last 2 weeks I've been 3 tabling 6-Max and have been putting in a ton of hands compared to previous months. Overall I like this better than playing the tourneys and feel that I've made improvements. Putting in such a large volume regularly has really helped with my main problem. My main problem was thinking in terms of money won or lost. I have transitioned my thinking, I now think in terms of decisions ex. Did I make the right decision regardless of whether I won or lost the hand.

or3o1990

or3o1990

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Glad to hear things are going good for you. I'm working through the same issue myself. I've been on a downswing and it's been making me miserable and in turn I haven't been thinking as clearly and making some poor decisions here and there. Now that I've realized it I'm trying to correct it and focus on my play, not the money.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just a small update for about the last month I've been playing exclusively cash games. In the last 2 weeks I've been 3 tabling 6-Max and have been putting in a ton of hands compared to previous months. Overall I like this better than playing the tourneys and feel that I've made improvements. Putting in such a large volume regularly has really helped with my main problem. My main problem was thinking in terms of money won or lost. I have transitioned my thinking, I now think in terms of decisions ex. Did I make the right decision regardless of whether I won or lost the hand.

Someone once told me "you are when you say you are."

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Must be big payoff in the tournament, order to was a big bankroll . Then the good chances to become a pro.

hulinada

hulinada

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure to be about to be born to them)) And in general to learn to read the article and watch the video to take lessons in good coaches unless of course allows BR.

veronica

veronica

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what you need for me; is experience, patience, money, inspiration, luck, and love what you do...