What do you think about threatening table chat and what can be done about it?

clubsta

clubsta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion threats are just stupid but rude chat is more of a problem. It can be taken personally and interfere with some people's game.

Many years ago on Bovada a player had a screen name I found rude. I would normally just let it go BUT he became rude and insulting in chat. I sent off an email to Bovada and within 10 minutes THEREMYCHIPSNIGGA was told to change his name or leave. Kudos to Bovada admin!

WOW I've never seen a name that bad before. Thanks for doing that, kudos to you & Bovada!

clubsta

clubsta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we all can agree that vulgar speech in a live poker game is unacceptable and there are rules to address this.

The online regulations on vulgar speech also have their own set of rules that users need to adhere to.

But let me add my two cents to all these individuals whose feelings as just too delicate to deal with these types of individuals, Stop all the WHINING, the quickest and simplest solution is to put the user on chat block so you never have to read another word from them.

My only observation in cases like these is, why the heck are these snow-flakes wasting their concentration and energies on reading anyone’s posts? FOCUS on the game at hand. :fight:

I think your comment could have been more productive and helpful if you left the condescension out (e.g. too delicate to deal, stop all the whining, snow-flakes). I helped develop an HR department at my company many years ago, as there was a cultural prevalence of yelling, screaming, threats, and derogatory behavior. When I started to fight that culture and support a guy who was being bullied, some of the responses I got was "well he's just too sensitive and isn't cut out for this business..." Cut to many years later of not tolerating that stuff, and most of the bad eggs are gone and we're all ridiculously happier, and much more successful and productive.

I think the problem here is that we consider nicer and more respectful people to be weak, and bullies to be tough. On the contrary, I think the actual strength exists in someone who would stand up to a bully and let them know what they're doing won't be tolerated.

I didn't know this happened in a CC Freeroll. That's really disappointing. I would encourage CC folks to work together to squash this and let it be known that it's not acceptable here... I don't know why folks think of MODS as "parents" that one would "tattle" to and hence a rat of sorts. They're just people trying to watch over the culture here and help make this a good, productive place for us all. And be grateful they do, we're reaping the benefits of it. I'd say not only you should share the info of who and what, but everyone on that table should.

This culture of "don't tell or you're a whiner"... well that's what one thinks back in uh... high school or so? We're all mostly adults. Take care of it, take action. I don't want it around. You can rely on karma, or you can rely on yourself to get things done!

Last edited:
PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't give it a second thought and find it very comical when it happens.It's not personal towards yourself after all how could it be. Your just an online avatar with no personal interaction with them.If you can be bothered and fancy a laugh just wind them up more in chat or have a giggle at them spitting feathers.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the player should be banned from the site. Maybe a week the first instance, then a month for the second and permanently for the third. There is no excuse for this behaviour and it ruins it for everyone.

Of course, if they did ban people, pretty soon there would be no players left, at least tilted ones who we want to take their money.

22meandu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its funny to think that letters arranged in a certain order can be deemed offensive . For example : Lady parts ; I can think of more unacceptable terms than acceptable . The opposite for Mens. Seems the word has to be interpreted by a group as a insulting label and forced on the guileless majority . Being of an age where the word F was treated as a slapping offence and is now accepted as free speech in all circumstances and situations i cant see why any letter arrangements can be taken as offensive . So if thats the case qwertyuiop[ yours aaassssssssssssssssssssssssdffffggggghhhhhhhjkllllllllllll;. party poker has so many words deemed unacceptable normal conversation is literally impossible . :marchmell:marchmell:marchmell

mathtree

mathtree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never think about it because I have chat disabled at all times.I never enable avatars either; all distractions are eliminated so I can concentrate on what I'm doing - not what others say or look like- I don't need to know.

22meandu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never think about it because I have chat disabled at all times.I never enable avatars either; all distractions are eliminated so I can concentrate on what I'm doing - not what others say or look like- I don't need to know.
I respect this , and as such , you will remain another faceless , nameless KO .

PokerDragon99

PokerDragon99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 possible solutions for this.

First and easier method: Just ignore it, or cut it fully off.

2nd method: harder and requires skill: Use it for your advantage

Try to trick him or use his aggression in certain situation.
Requires being tiltproof!

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great question I myself have never wished ill on someone, but have called them a bad name. Its something I worked on alot. I got better, but now my run bad, is bad again. so instead of calling names, I asked ACr to ban my chat for a month, until I get used to not opening chat box. You COULD do that. train yourself not to open chat at all. I know alot of folks who dont even open table chat. Its true I would never be disrespectful at a live game.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Personally, I never pay attention to the conversations of players during the game. I do not care what my opponents are talking about. I always try to be focused on the game.

22meandu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would love to chat to Doyle Brunson about early backroom poker . I myself have seen a heavy four sided glass ash tray embedded in a dealers chest after a bad river . I was witness to a dozen players made to pile on top of each other at gun point while the room was robbed . Funny part to that story was how quick my cash ended up under my cap . :albertein

AcooltartA

AcooltartA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These types of players are the bottom of the barrel. One thing is for sure...nothing screams fish more than berating other players at the table. I can understand the game of "Table Talk" but everything within reason, right? When it starts getting "personal" a line definitely needs to be drawn. There is no reason why playing a GAME should ever result in verbal abuse.

E

emerson rufino

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
isso só serve para tirar o consentracão na mesa, desabilitar o chat resolve tudo.

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you, cant talk trash, just be quiet... They will run into others that know how to handle them more effectively on line.

T

trixxxter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never go back at people that do that. And if they keep it up, I like to make comments like:

1. Do you need a hug?
2. It's always nice to be appreciated for my skills.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Leaving the chat turned on is a totally voluntary action. Anyone other than a rank beginner who is surprised by what he/she sees/hears there prolly ought to consider taking up another hobby.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that kinda chat is so sad to me, i like funny stuff even on my account :)

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to send smiley faces and thank you in chat when someone gets ugly like this it gets under there skin and they usually bust very quickly.

I think I will try this next time it happens to me.:):):)

22meandu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that kinda chat is so sad to me, i like funny stuff even on my account :)
Me 2 , Thats why i enjoy live poker much more than online . The highs are always great and the lows can be the most humorous of all . Some great tales and a lot of funny bullchiting .

H

havealittlefaith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is how online chat boxes are a lot of the time unfortunately. You need to just ignore things like this because people don't say anything like this in real life. On the other hand, if someone does say something like this to your face in real life you should definitely report it then but don't worry about anything trash talk related on the internet.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I leave chat on all the time. Watching people tilt is a hobby.
Poker sites have terms of service that include proper protocol for chatting.
If it bothers you, report it. The chat is available for the administrators to review and take the appropriate steps.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've called and told many things online. I've learned to let it go. It isn't worth the time to worry about it. Let them blow off their steam.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm pretty sure most poker sites have rules against this sort of thing. The question is how well, if it at all, do they enforce them? pokerstars used to be great at this when they had chat mods available 24/7 to immediately go to a table when requested, read thru the chat and issue warnings and/or chat bans on the spot. Nowadays they will probably review chat logs after the fact if requested, but I can't actually attest to that. They only keep chat logs for real money games though so if it happens during a play money game you're out of luck.

If it bothers you, definitely bring it to the attention of the poker site. You can also just mute or ignore the chat as others have suggested.