What do you think about taking shots?

I

imwatcher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not exactly sure on most peoples opinions on this, but it seems that most people here are all for grinding, and against being out of your bankroll at all costs. What I am wondering is to do with this.

This is only relevant to players who are certain they are beating 2nl (which i am not atm) Say you have a 80$ bankroll and you are grinding the 2$nlh and are planning to move up to 5nl at 150 dollars, this could take many months to get to.. When you reach 5nl I have heard it is NO different, so presumably you will still be able to beat 5nl, at 10nl apparently it is a little different, but if someone is crushing 2nl and 5nl im guessing they will do fine at 10nl. now rather than months of grinding, which I find can get tedious at times, what is wrong with say joining a 5 dollar mtt and taking a shot at moving up in your strategy extremely quickly as you hope to go deep. I am not suggesting stopping grinding, but i think if you say went from 80-85 there would be nothing wrong with using that 5 dollars for other things..

I only think it is good idea in micros because apparently the play is so similar that you can most likely beat most the levels in micro if you can beat any.

So what do you guys think about taking shots, good? bad? why?

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for starters i would start playing 5NL with $100 BR not $150....nothin wrong with taking "shots"...but theres a difference in how i would approach it.

i play 10NL...and i will not start grinding 25NL til i have ~40 Buy ins....but i would take some shots at 25NL soon as i hit 20-25

I

imwatcher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for starters i would start playing 5NL with $100 BR not $150....nothin wrong with taking "shots"...but theres a difference in how i would approach it.

i play 10NL...and i will not start grinding 25NL til i have ~40 Buy ins....but i would take some shots at 25NL soon as i hit 20-25

Sure, maybe if you are a sole cash game player this would work alot better, but for people who are competent at MTTs they might want a bit of a refresher. Most people say you need to be in the zone for MTTs but i find i play better when I only play 1 a day tbh.. But i definately need to be in the zone for cash.. I function strangely though, i can multitable 2nl much easier than 1$ sngs lol

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
guess im confused...so your looking for an answer towards MTT players than?

I

imwatcher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no i mean in general lol but i see what you mean if you arent good at mtts it would be better to take shots at the higher cash, not in mtts

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...but i think if you say went from 80-85 there would be nothing wrong with using that 5 dollars for other things...

There is plenty wrong with that. Buying into a $5.00 MTT with 6% of your BR is bad bankroll management. If you are tired of grinding 2nl, either take a break or deposit more money.

Agreed, you can play 5nl with 20 buyins, so $100 is when you should move up and move back down if you fall to $50.

I

imwatcher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But you can win it back.. why not take a shot at a huge bankroll elevation when you can win it back in a session or 2... that is what i do not understand?

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With that mindset why not just sit at a 50nl table with $50. If you lose it all, you can just win it back right? Where does it end? You are either going to use proper BRM or you're not. You're the only one who can decide if you are or not.

ericgarner118

ericgarner118

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all up to you. There isn't really anything wrong with anything you do in poker. It's just all about what you want to get out of it. Maybe you are just on to have a little fun playing poker, maybe you are a serious grinder who some day want to play 500nl, or (most likely) you are somewhere in the middle. If you have extra money in your pocket that you can deposit at any time then it doesn't really matter. If you are only playing with your online bankroll then you probably don't really wanna take any shots. It takes a while to grind that money up so why waist it on shot. Like others have said BRM is up to you and you are the only one that can decide what you want to do. But in general, taking shots is NOT good BRM