What do they usually do when before they start playing they are very tired?

Fernando_RO

Fernando_RO

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
There are times when you have all the motivation and energy to play poker, but there are other days when due to work, mental fatigue or tiredness you don't feel the best way. My question is what they tend to do in these cases where you're not 100%, they play despite that, or they just take the day to recover and feel a little better. I would also appreciate some tips to be able to cope with mental fatigue. It happens to me that I am playing tournaments and I feel very well, well above average, but I prefer to stop playing because I can't stand fatigue and tiredness, sometimes I prefer to leave the tournament or freeroll and go to rest or take a nap.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I often work at night. After a night shift, I'm always tired, and therefore, playing in such a state simply does not make sense, because the game will not bring any pleasure. Also, if I'm tired I always lack patience and start playing with junk, which only leads to losses and frustration.

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is generally not recommended to play poker when you are tired. Playing poker requires focus, concentration, and mental clarity. When you are tired, your decision-making abilities can be impaired, and you may not be able to play at your best.

Here are a few reasons why playing poker while tired may not be ideal:

1. Impaired Decision Making: Fatigue can affect your cognitive abilities, including judgment and decision-making skills. Making sound and rational decisions is crucial in poker, and being tired can lead to poor choices and mistakes that can be costly.
  2. Lack of Focus: Poker games can be lengthy and require sustained attention. When you're tired, your ability to concentrate and stay focused may be diminished. This can result in missing important details, misreading opponents, and making errors in gameplay.
  3. Emotional Impact: Fatigue can exacerbate emotions such as frustration, irritability, and impatience. This can lead to poor emotional control and tilt, where you may make impulsive or irrational decisions due to heightened emotional states.
  4. Reduced Energy and Stamina: Playing poker can be mentally and physically demanding. When you're tired, you may lack the energy and stamina needed to play optimally. Your overall performance and ability to handle long sessions may be compromised.
If you are feeling tired, it's generally better to prioritize rest and recharge before engaging in a game of poker. Taking care of your well-being, getting enough sleep, and ensuring you are in a state of alertness can contribute to a more enjoyable and successful poker experience.

choprav

choprav

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Rest, do something else, sleep, then play when feeling more mentally alive. Otherwise you'll just be burning your money

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
I used to play tired back in the day and results were in line with it... bad.
Now days I simply avoid poker for the day if I'm too tired or simply just not mentally there. It's better to take a day of rest then push with your head through the wall.
That being said I recon some of people who play professionally and make a living out of poker can't really afford to "slack" too much and they will be playing tired now and then. I'd guess those people play quite automatic, so fatigue doesn't effect em as much as it does us normal poker peasants. :D

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Physical fatigue, of course, interferes with playing poker, it is a game that requires concentration and mood.

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
When I'm tired I don't play directly. Because I wouldn't be mentally prepared for long hours of poker. It is not only a waste of money but also of time. I always try to play in my ideal conditions. Haha!

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Hello. I will also give a point of view, believe me I often face this. I tend to think that it is a mental problem more than the fatigue itself.
We all know we can't perform 100% when we're tired, can we blame it on fatigue? or on our way of thinking or better ziz to respect ourselves. I am not very successful in what I do to do in my life (others have a different opinion and say that I always achieve and progress beyond expectations for them🙄) I have a wife, children, a house (and I'm still building 😀)driver's licenses and cars but I'm struggling to secure my future and that of my family, I have employees, I have works that need to be finished (contracts).... the idea is that I'm falling behind and I'm determined that I still have to do something.🤔
So I'll be tired when the treatment starts but I'll try to play today (,, I still have something to do ") although today I left my eye surgery wife in a neighboring country and I have to go morning there.(now he has seven eye operations 😔) So fatigue? However:
I still have something to do 👍...is it mental?

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
As my brother @un kiravio says, it all depends on the activity you have on a daily basis.
In my particular case, I work independently and play poker in 4-hour sessions.
I only have my wife as a family, she supports me in this poker thing and she knows that when I start playing, rather than asking me some normal question of the day, she has to try not to bother me.
In the rest of the day she organized me to do things in our apartment, or things that I have to do outside the home.
After playing 3 or 4 hours of poker, where I feel tired, I close the tables and go to sleep. I don't keep playing tired, because I have already verified that the worst mistakes are made when you are tired, therefore playing cash is a waste of money, and in truth that part does not interest me at all.
I also usually spend 1 hour per day studying the game.
Greetings:):):)

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
As my brother @un kiravio says,
Thank you very much for the way you address me, I am too honored and know that I admire you, it is enough to call me colleague (I do not deny the big family effect).
I agree with you that cash games are dangerous, I've won many times in them but I also ran out of bankroll at the end 😀. It's good that you still study periodically, I haven't done it for many years (I feel bad for this). I wish you all the best!

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There are times when you have all the motivation and energy to play poker, but there are other days when due to work, mental fatigue or tiredness you don't feel the best way. My question is what they tend to do in these cases where you're not 100%, they play despite that, or they just take the day to recover and feel a little better. I would also appreciate some tips to be able to cope with mental fatigue. It happens to me that I am playing tournaments and I feel very well, well above average, but I prefer to stop playing because I can't stand fatigue and tiredness, sometimes I prefer to leave the tournament or freeroll and go to rest or take a nap.
Excellent question! It is at this time that the late registration of tournaments, in case it is yours, is very good to put your mind in place or rest your body a little more.
In my case, if it's a very strong tiredness, I only play Cash Game lightly or I don't even play at all!:unsure:😒

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Thank you very much for the way you address me, I am too honored and know that I admire you, it is enough to call me colleague (I do not deny the big family effect).
I agree with you that cash games are dangerous, I've won many times in them but I also ran out of bankroll at the end 😀. It's good that you still study periodically, I haven't done it for many years (I feel bad for this). I wish you all the best!
Hello brother, thanks for the compliments.
If I'm really playing a lot of cash and I'm doing well, thank God.
Playing cash has helped me a lot to improve my study of the game in general, with the difference that in tournaments you must also look at other issues that are easier to see in cash. For example, the ITM, the ICM, etc.
The cash that helps you a lot is to improve your game itself. Play many more hands in tournaments that you didn't play before. Learn to play in position or out of position, with initiative or without initiative, range coverage, etc.
Imagine that I am playing approximately 1500 hands a day, so the practice is constant.
First of all, I apologize, because yesterday you were next to me at a table in Cardschat 100, I was going to say hello but I forgot that for various reasons I closed the PS chat, because they really make me quite nervous when I play some insults, so take That decision to not distract from the game.
A hug brother and greetings to the family!!!
Carlos:):):)

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Hello brother, thanks for the compliments.
If I'm really playing a lot of cash and I'm doing well, thank God.
Playing cash has helped me a lot to improve my study of the game in general, with the difference that in tournaments you must also look at other issues that are easier to see in cash. For example, the ITM, the ICM, etc.
The cash that helps you a lot is to improve your game itself. Play many more hands in tournaments that you didn't play before. Learn to play in position or out of position, with initiative or without initiative, range coverage, etc.
Imagine that I am playing approximately 1500 hands a day, so the practice is constant.
First of all, I apologize, because yesterday you were next to me at a table in Cardschat 100, I was going to say hello but I forgot that for various reasons I closed the PS chat, because they really make me quite nervous when I play some insults, so take That decision to not distract from the game.
A hug brother and greetings to the family!!!
Carlos:):):)
You are very right to alternate between cash and freeroll games because it keeps you playing a more realistic game, your actions pay off, but you will also be criticized for the way you play some hands. (others not would play them😉)

pep12343

pep12343

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I usually watch a program, or play a mental game that wakes me up, although if the tournament is of my choice I prefer not to participate, after 30 minutes I concentrate, but I run the risk of losing due to bad decisions.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
You are very right to alternate between cash and freeroll games because it keeps you playing a more realistic game, your actions pay off, but you will also be criticized for the way you play some hands. (others not would play them😉)
Of course brother you will be criticized, but really that is not interesting, because otherwise we should all open with AK call with AA etc, and it would be an absolutely boring game.
Exactly what is interesting about this game and that nobody takes into account is that, you have a hand in which you play against 169 hand combos per play, and one of these 169 hands is the winner or at least tied with another. In other words, a player who has AA is playing against hands that some with a higher percentage and others with a lower percentage CAN ALL beat him.
So in the face of criticism, the answer would be: Who told you that your hand is the nut??? And who told you that I can't pay my hand against yours???
In the cash game you learn situations, above all in general, of giving equity value to hands, and above all, of taking value out of your hand.
What sense does it make for you to have AA in UTG and go allin, who is going to pay you??? What value did you get from your hand if no one paid???
All of that is learned. Criticism is what a cash player is least interested in, but what interests him is that his bankroll increases day by day.
All that I hope answers your answer brother
A big hug:):):)

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Concentration is very important in poker. Tiredness can make your game bad. Being focused is everything in poker that will help you make good decisions.

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I'm really tired, I just don't play because I noticed that then I can't win anything.

ElScorcho008

ElScorcho008

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't play when tired. Have a nap

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The first rule I use is not to play paid games when I'm tired.
If there's a freeroll I don't mind playing as it won't affect my bankroll.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There was that wonderful period of the twitch streamers freerolls on ACR. In that period I tested all my fatigue limits in Poker. But I also made good money there.
What a pity it ended.

Tomash7788

Tomash7788

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Sometimes overdoing it with playing can exhaust you. If you really wanna play I guess it is best to do either some freeroll or some not real money game at that point. I noticed sometimes after I finish some tournament which was going on for longer time I just don't have mental strength to start new one. At that point I rather get shower take some rest, eat something rather then playing. Also from my experience If I am excited about some tournament due to either good rewards or something, even If I am tired from work I will still do good and pay attention better. So I guess better play less but pick what you enjoy more. Hope this helps.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friend, as you said, the best thing is to take a break, because when you come back you come back more motivated to play, more focused and prepared, I have tried playing tired and you don't get good results so a rest is fine.

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't recommend playing these days!

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best advice and the thing to do in opinion is to take a break for that day. Even though I know we should only play when we are 100%, there are days that I still play even feeling tired, but I try to play only freerolls in these days.