What to do after so many bad hands???

A

airvikki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently, there was also such a situation, the game was not running all the time, I wanted to take a break. But the son, who also became interested in poker, said, you are strong, play and everything will work out!) I listened to him

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I look at it like this - even the very best players get coolered/have bad beats and go through intense upswings and downswings in poker - bad beats are part of the game and we cannot always control that but managing our emotions is something we can affect - taking a break is one option/sharing experiences and hands and situations with other players and better players is another, being willing to look at our style of play is crucial to our development as so many players think one dimensional - like im a good player, i did that right and by the book - what book? lol - if it was that simple, we would all buy it.

Here is a useful link https://www.pokernews.com/strategy/...uccessful-players-emotional-control-20841.htm

Last edited:
E

eugenedav

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
After so many badbeats I take a long break away from playing poker. I try to anyway lol. I go watch football or play chess then I come back refreshed never play angry go on tilt is not the way trust me lost thousands.

C

CourtJester

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After so many badbeats I take a long break away from playing poker. I try to anyway lol. I go watch football or play chess then I come back refreshed never play angry go on tilt is not the way trust me lost thousands.
This. The worst thing you can do is play tilted. It ultimately boils down to how you FEEL about the bad beat. If you laugh it off, then keep playing. If you get mad, get up.

MMaki1981

MMaki1981

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I'm getting too many bad hands at first, I'll get up and stretch it out. Maybe get a beverage and smoke a joint. But if it doesn't turnaround after awhile I'll eventually stop playing - sooner rather than later. I just chalk it up to 'not being my day'. I'd rather walk away and save my bankroll for another time when maybe my luck or energy has changed.

C

chuckycheese

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
walk around the block, take a break, it will get better

skaniol

skaniol

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
If you ever notice too many bad hands, that's already a sign that you've exceeded your level of tolerance for them and your poker decisions may be affected in a bad way.

Instead of chasing losses while tilting, it's better to acknowledge the current size of your BR and to forget these bad hands ASAP.

The best way to forget is to take a break. How long? I'd say as long as necessary. This may mean a few hours, days, weeks or even more.

Yes, it's good to analyze your bad hands, but this won't help you to forget them. In fact, it may prolong your tilt, so don't spend too much time focusing on them. You can always analyze your old hands later, with a fresh mind.

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get upset too, and I start to think that I'm the only one playing so badly, tilting, my mood spoils. In this case, switching to another topic helps me - to watch an interesting program "The World Inside Out", to be encouraged with friends on the Internet, to cook something tasty for the family, or whatever, but not poker. And then it becomes easier, the next day I go to play poker as if nothing had happened. Life goes on, without falls, there are no ups.

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
use it as an advantage

in my case, it stops everything and I get upset.

is that you? What would you do ??:jd4:

I am not sure what level you are at the game so i will just say my version of this topic. When your Cards go cold and you good ones arent winning any pots. Try paying more attention to the other players and watch closely to how they play are they callling ppl down or folding flops,l maybe limping too often, and who balances thier range. Find the weak link and exploit it hard.sometimes when you got 30+ BB best to just wait and play hellmuth tight or just wait til your down to 20 bb and go into the push shove charts style.

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I'm getting too many bad hands at first, I'll get up and stretch it out. Maybe get a beverage and smoke a joint. But if it doesn't turnaround after awhile I'll eventually stop playing - sooner rather than later. I just chalk it up to 'not being my day'. I'd rather walk away and save my bankroll for another time when maybe my luck or energy has changed.

drugs are bad MMMKAY! J/K

I usually just wait out the bad hands until i catch again than I immediately try too double up on the good hands incase I get junk again and can fold my blinds..

JOSEALBERTV

JOSEALBERTV

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What you have to do is take a deep breath, stop playing, and listen to music that relaxes you.

W

WJMKAM

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is the key. I know, because I often do not have it. It is hard when hand after hand is bad cards. It is a killer when you fold 27 or 38 and the flop would have given you a full house. It makes you want to just call and see the flop. It can work at the beginning of the tournament when the blinds are lower, but the farther into the tournament, the bigger the risk as you will just bleed most times. Even with and A2, if you pair the ace, someone will most likely out kick you. If it is suited you have some flush possibilities, but high pair Aces can be a dangerous hand, with a low kicker.

I often wonder if I am being bluffed out of a hand. It is always better to wonder, then call and find out he wasn't. It is easy to think of look how much I will gain if I win this, when you should often look at how much you will lose if you lose.

A well placed bluff will work, but there is always the risk that it won't. A bad bluff tends to not work unless they really do have nothing.

I always have to fight the urge to play every hand. I want to see how it goes. I want to be in it. The better I become at picking which hands to play, the farther I go.

I had one tournament where I was in the bottom until I was in the money. Then I started hitting good hands and move up to the top. Fortunately, my hands were either really good, or really bad. Than can help you go far.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
after so many bad hands, it may be more of an outlook then the actual cards dealt. If you are truly playing your cards and nothing but your cards, you are missing out on all the opportunities the game provides you. If your talking about bad results, then you may again probably missing out on other ways to win a hand.

Andrii Lubentsov

Andrii Lubentsov

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
After a lot of bad hands, the period of good hands is bound to come, the main thing is that you have enough bankroll to wait.:)

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
If my bankroll is very small, I try my luck with first relative good pocket cards. If not, than I wait for better hands. It?s not easy, but patience is important.

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
take a deep breath and relax
no need to play while you are angry you might loose more saying that you are going to catch up

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips

no no, you don't have to approach poker like that, it happens to everyone to have a period like your's , just keep on playing the wheel will turn around :)

skaniol

skaniol

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
After a lot of bad hands, the period of good hands is bound to come, the main thing is that you have enough bankroll to wait.:)
Yes, a period of good hands IS bound to come, but it IS NOT bound to come in the near future. If you think otherwise, you are a victim of the gambler's fallacy.

navicula

navicula

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Leave the table and forget for a while... to control my emotions. :)

P

pakyut

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will just accept coz it is normal in the game. I will rest ad watch some movie after that.

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Yes, when there is a bad streak in poker, it's hard not to tilt and drink. But you have to take a punch even in such cases and play cold-bloodedly regardless of the cards. :jd4::):jd4:

jj77jwj

jj77jwj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You got to give it up for that day and come back the next day so you wont lose all your money it's like that when you are playing against real players especially tournaments

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a break. Losing streaks are part of poker.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

How many is "so many"? I usually don't care about bad hands, necessarily. Bad starting hands are just part of poker. Playing an ugly starting hand and making something of it is one of the most satisfying aspects of poker, imo. Having been dealt "so many" bad-beats, well, that's where you stop and regroup. But I will agree that whether you're getting bad hands or bad-beats, if you're getting upset then stop. Nothing hurts a bankroll more than a tilty poker player. Go read a book, go fishing, or go play some HALO or C.O.D., go hurt something else! Ya know, something simulated, without a real pulse, lol.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands