What is the best way to calm down after bad beat?

topper39

topper39

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I read " The poker mindset" i got used to these situations. I can handle it much better now

By whom is that one? I have read few theoreticall books but never about mindset and stuff like that. It could be helpfull.

topper39

topper39

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was at a final table of a tournament last night with AA. After a villain raises and I re-raised, he says "Beast Mode!" in the chat box, and then goes all-in. Of course I snap call, and he flips over KK. And of course the king comes on the river.

Meh, it happens. What are you going to do? Start folding AA pre-flop? That's not a good play.

If you can separate yourself from the result of the hand, and instead look at the play/move you made, then that helps you be more calm for when you get unlucky. And that takes a long time to get good at, and hopefully you don't tilt away too much of your bankroll in the process.

This is exactly it. It would tilt me so much that I'm almost sure that I would either double or bust my whole Broll after that. :rolleyes:
Hopefully, I will learn it someday, have to say I have already tilted away a lot of money. It's good to see it formulated like that, now I know what to focus on.:icon_thum

topper39

topper39

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
About tw weeks ago I had some awful bad beats. It was horrible but I stopped playing for 3 - 4 days, I calmed down and now I forgot about them. I suggest you to do the same.

Yea, this definitely works, but it is very uneffective. Hypotethically just imagime that you are tilted like every third session. If I take a 3-4 day break after I could play hardly two times a week. Not much of a grind.
But in principle taking a break is a proved well-working way. But as I said, I trying to find more effective one.

topper39

topper39

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your in Vegas, go and buy you a AKA "woman of the night" and take it out on her !! LOL

So bad I'm not living in Vegas :D following this advice, I would be satisfied about tilts there :D

Last edited:
XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
drop ur mouse to the ground....LOL

and u will calm down at least for a while ....LOL :eek::p

M

Magneto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
distracted with other things, maybe friends or other game

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you get tilted the money is significant to you.

which means your playing stakes to high for your tolorence levels, drop down so you have a deep bankroll
if you lose 2or 3 buy ins from a 100.00 buy in bankroll it doesnt really matter.

if that does bother you then it shouldnt because you got bags of buy ins left.

now if you are losing over the month then you need to focus on training, watch free training vids on youtube and touch up your ABC game

trekmaster

trekmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
get away from the game a bit and get a bowl of ice cream

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is very inspirating. But anyway, It's so hard to manage emotions, especially negative ones. Guess the best way to avoid tilt would be to play all the way without them, but I'm not a robot.
Everytime I'm tilted I really loosen up and start chasing it back again and that's usually tragedy for my Broll.
I'm trying to work on this very hard as I want to be winning player veeery bad, actually there was a times when I already was. But somehow I tilted out all the roll which I was making for a long time everytime and it usually taked just a few really bad sessions.
I trying to work on this issue very hard. I even started to play hyper-turbo HUSNGs ,which are the games with maybe the biggest variation available, just to work on it. Have to say, that not very successfully so far.
Listening music is a good idea, and thank you for that recommendation, I'll definitely put it on my new playlist!:icon_thum

I am glad you liked what I had to say. I really hope it helps you reach your goals.

Good luck in the future.

B

batu2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I try to logout immediately and instantly shutdown the computer. I have found that to play seeking revenge is useless, because anger makes're not focused and make bad decisions.

woohoo sue

woohoo sue

Brings Laughter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Since I read " The poker mindset" i got used to these situations. I can handle it much better now

and the straight jacket in your avatar keeps furniture in tact as well ....good thinking

K

KonSingkit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bang your monitor. hahaha. just kidding. i click "Last Hand" and sigh "aaah", stood up, got myself some nice cold water... sip sip sip sip a bit more... and sit. no not in front of the computer, but with my wife. it'll pass. :p

K

KonSingkit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I try to logout immediately and instantly shutdown the computer. I have found that to play seeking revenge is useless, because anger makes're not focused and make bad decisions.

works for you, that's good. soon enough maybe some of us can cope with it much faster or maybe not be that much affected and can regain composure, win that cash back and more.

F

floridapoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well what I usually do is start pushing all in repeatedly preflop, get my money in bad and then lose. Lol in all seriousness if you're a smoker go smoke. If you're not a smoker I suppose go for a nice long walk. If I can't leave for a long time I will pull my chair back from the table 4 feet stand up and walk around it in a circle 3 times in a counterclockwise motion. It will make everyone stare at you though :(

xzquit

xzquit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everybody have had a bad loses and it;s impossible to avoid them. As example what i remember now is how once i lost a hand when i had flush to King and the other player had it to Ace... The important is to remember that this is a game and you have to play not to get mad but to relax and forget for the real life issues and troubles( ofcourse if you have such.. :) ). But dont forget that there are not only loses but wins also so dont just give up :) .
So back to the question I usually calm down by smoking a cigarette and listening to nice music.

Play 4 Fun!

midgetfactory

midgetfactory

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
settings, responsible gaming, exclude from playing for 360 days etc....
only way u wont end up losing ur bankroll after a major suckout

midgetfactory

midgetfactory

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok maybe 12 hour cooling off period but ya, its tough to get ur head right after a sickning hand.... its all in the art !!!

topper39

topper39

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
settings, responsible gaming, exclude from playing for 360 days etc....
only way u wont end up losing ur bankroll after a major suckout

Well, this is the way too. But after a while I would feel like an idiot, you know to exclude myself after every unlucky session. And I think you have to write some "back to play" e-mail once the exclusion period expires. Sounds like more troubles than benefits.

topper39

topper39

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well what I usually do is start pushing all in repeatedly preflop, get my money in bad and then lose. Lol in all seriousness if you're a smoker go smoke. If you're not a smoker I suppose go for a nice long walk. If I can't leave for a long time I will pull my chair back from the table 4 feet stand up and walk around it in a circle 3 times in a counterclockwise motion. It will make everyone stare at you though :(

hehe, It sound almost like a scientific technique, anyway you are happy man if you have found something working for you.
To the walks, well, it could work. Problem is I'm not usually in the mood to do anything when i'm tilted. But to clear a mind and relay a litlle bit, nice walk must be perfect. I'll try that too.:icon_thum

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I need to shut down my computer and do something else, because even if I go do something else in my computer, I always end up playing some more poker. I go watch TV or if still is soon, I go out of home to walk or to the gym.