redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Poker fans,

When playing online poker in the beginning, I would take notes on the players and colour code them if possible. Over time, realizing that there was time to engage in other activities while playing poker I began exploring. Unfortunately, I started developing some bad habits like playing on my PS4 or watching television. There are some very productive things that I have tried, like posting on Cards Chat or archiving interesting hands for later discussion or review. This works well but most times I am not in the right head space or mood and prefer something more relaxing or exciting. At least when playing live poker, you can talk to the players and engage in friendly taunting and rivalry.

I am hoping to get a list of fun activities that will help my game and increase my focus and general engagement while playing poker online.

My question to you guys is, what do you do while playing online poker?

C

cowboybebop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mostly just watch a movie, or have something to eat. Never really liked fully focusing on poker early on, and so it stayed with me.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you are easily bored by the game, play as a hobby, just make sure that you aren't investing money in the game as if you are a serious player. You could also find an activity to occupy your time that you find more interesting & engaging.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was wondering how can you play poker and ps4 at the same time :)
I also watch TV while I'm playing poker, but usually is a game that does not require my attention, like a movie.

Delenia

Delenia

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I usually play multiple games of poker, watch Twitch streamers, and do various things on the internet like this post, checking email, posting things for sale, etc.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when I have 2 open tables I see something on youtube but normally I am always aware of all the poker tables, I can't even do anything else because instantly I have action at a table and I enjoy it a lot, I have never had that problem of distraction or boredom, maybe sometimes with an important soccer game I get distracted but it rarely happens

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are easily bored by the game, play as a hobby, just make sure that you aren't investing money in the game as if you are a serious player. You could also find an activity to occupy your time that you find more interesting & engaging.
It is not about boredom at all. Poker is exciting and I wish to improve my game. Part of this process is resisting the temptation to play a wide range of hole cards which often results in the burning of chips chasing draws and many reluctant folds in response to the many aggressive players. This results in the hero having to wait patiently for hands that have a higher percentage of success. So I often give in to the temptation of doing something else to occupy my time in between playable hands.

Another reason why I tend to engage in other activities while I play online poker is my regular online activities which clash with scheduled CC freerolls. I am a national bridge player and have regular tournaments. Since covid hit, our club games have switched to online and that happens at 2:30 on a Saturday and often overlaps. I enjoy participating in CC tournaments and activities and have decided to make the effort to play more freerolls and special events to build a poker bankroll and win some merchandise respectively.

I find live games more engaging since there is so much more to observe about your opponents and easier to partake in friendly conversation. Playing online has been quite a struggle because of the absence of face-to-face interaction. I have had to make the change to finding online tells which of course can be done purposefully by the opponents, like think time and speed of checks if fold to any bet is checked and so on.

I take it from your response that you focus only on poker while playing online. Am I correct?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
So basically you are looking for ways to multitask, and by doing so to increase your focus and improve your game?

There has been many studies how multitasking is not that great at all. It slows you down, and reduces your efficiency. If you truly need something extra to do then why not open more tables and see what that does to your game and win rate? It is true that poker contains sometimes a lot of waiting but even then our brain is definitely not in a resting state.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So basically you are looking for ways to multitask, and by doing so to increase your focus and improve your game?

There has been many studies how multitasking is not that great at all. It slows you down, and reduces your efficiency. If you truly need something extra to do then why not open more tables and see what that does to your game and win rate? It is true that poker contains sometimes a lot of waiting but even then our brain is definitely not in a resting state.
I was shocked by the research findings and had no idea that multi-tasking can damage the brain and lower IQ. Ouch!

"Multitasking reduces your efficiency and performance because your brain can only focus on one thing at a time. When you try to do two things at once, your brain lacks the capacity to perform both tasks successfully." (Bradberry, 2014)

This of course I was probably aware of and have many poor results at all the tasks that I engage in as proof of it!:cry:

Thank you for sharing, especially the research summary.

I will repent from my bad habits and resort to healthier practices.(y)

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I have only one table open then I surf the internet. I find I play best with about 3 tables open and no surfing as long as all the tables are NLH

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
I only dedicate myself to playing, I don't chat with anyone, I don't watch television, I currently take many notes on my rivals and classify them by color as I can, I try to concentrate since I play up to 6 tables at the same time and they require a lot of attention.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Usually while playing poker I listen to music

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I don't know why but I always misread "Mass Destruction" in the title and always get confused what that has to do with poker. 😂

I also browse the forum or my phone when playing at one table only but not with 2 or more.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Read something early on that really changed my perception on the approach of the game. Basically put me in the mindset to even consider playing. If I'm not rested, in a positive mood, had a bad day at work or have been drinking, wont play. Doing that, was more focus, cashed more and felt better about the game. Nothing worse for me is to be late in a tournament and not be in the right headspace to close it out.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think too much distraction will lead to what Megadeath referred to as a Symphony of Destruction.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know why but I always misread "Mass Destruction" in the title and always get confused what that has to do with poker. 😂

I also browse the forum or my phone when playing at one table only but not with 2 or more.
one is pocket rockets and one is just a nice pair :)
ScreenHunter 8063 Jul 29 1133

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_8063 Jul. 29 12.28.jpg
    ScreenHunter_8063 Jul. 29 12.28.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
N

naostarr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey nice to know!

Here is a song that keeps me grounded - I play it on a loop.

Enjoy: The gambler - Kenny Rogers

Regards.
I love this song. I don't know how many times I actually follow its principles. So many time I should fold but play because I want to see what the other guy has or because I don't believe him. I have been kick out of a tourney because I fell in love with a hand and not take enough consideration of what the other guy could have .

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a video about culture, history, animals, etc. playing in the background. But there are times when I am completely addicted to the game. I know many people listen to music of different directions, but for some reason it bothers me.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It is not about boredom at all. Poker is exciting and I wish to improve my game. Part of this process is resisting the temptation to play a wide range of hole cards which often results in the burning of chips chasing draws and many reluctant folds in response to the many aggressive players. This results in the hero having to wait patiently for hands that have a higher percentage of success. So I often give in to the temptation of doing something else to occupy my time in between playable hands.

Another reason why I tend to engage in other activities while I play online poker is my regular online activities which clash with scheduled CC freerolls. I am a national bridge player and have regular tournaments. Since covid hit, our club games have switched to online and that happens at 2:30 on a Saturday and often overlaps. I enjoy participating in CC tournaments and activities and have decided to make the effort to play more freerolls and special events to build a poker bankroll and win some merchandise respectively.

I find live games more engaging since there is so much more to observe about your opponents and easier to partake in friendly conversation. Playing online has been quite a struggle because of the absence of face-to-face interaction. I have had to make the change to finding online tells which of course can be done purposefully by the opponents, like think time and speed of checks if fold to any bet is checked and so on.

I take it from your response that you focus only on poker while playing online. Am I correct?

Music is the only thing, other than the game(s) I am playing that I have to distract me & I play muic that tends to enhance my focus. Real life situations obviously I cannot control. I play a sizeable portion of my games against players I know so checking & updating notes as well as observing the habits of others I expect to see again in the future is of value to me. You as a serious level bridge player need pay no attention to my advice, it was directed more toward less skilled players than I expect you are. I do agree with your evaluation of online tells, even against players I am familiar with I find reads to be much less reliable online than live.

Alex Okhr

Alex Okhr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
View attachment 309233
Hello Poker fans,

When playing online poker in the beginning, I would take notes on the players and colour code them if possible. Over time, realizing that there was time to engage in other activities while playing poker I began exploring. Unfortunately, I started developing some bad habits like playing on my PS4 or watching television. There are some very productive things that I have tried, like posting on Cards Chat or archiving interesting hands for later discussion or review. This works well but most times I am not in the right head space or mood and prefer something more relaxing or exciting. At least when playing live poker, you can talk to the players and engage in friendly taunting and rivalry.

I am hoping to get a list of fun activities that will help my game and increase my focus and general engagement while playing poker online.

My question to you guys is, what do you do while playing online poker?
Reading twiitter, listen music ...drink smth..i think thats all what i can do while playing game.