Wait out the swing or play through it ?

RaizeR1205

RaizeR1205

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just take a break. Honestly I just learned that myself. I use to just keep on playing, and I just dug my hole deeper, and deeper.. Do something else that you like so your mind is completly off the game for a couple of days. Then return, and if doesn't work, repeat it. Everybody has their own way of dealing with it but I hope I can help somehow. Anyways, goodluck!

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's only one thing you can do, if you want and that's just to take time off from playing.

neil1603

neil1603

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
read "The Mental Game of Poker" by Jared Tendler, he is also a member here and has a thread https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/

Then work on your game and deal with the issues that are tilting you. Variance is always going to happen and taking a break only hides the issue.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play through it. nothing cures tilt more than a winning session, regain confidence etc.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if your on tilt ,your not going to be playing good. take a break. whether that be a half hour break or a 2 day break. take a break.

G

grandpajesse

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think is the best way to get through a bad swing, by ether taking a break from playing for however long or practice your breathing and play through it? I've found that if I start running bad and take a day or two off I'll come back playing my best poker. I know some grinders that live by going into lockdown to get through a bad swing but curious what other people think :dontknow:

I think it all depends on what your temperament is like. If you are likely to go on mega-tilt, take some time off. If you think you can keep a level head and you wanna grind through it... go 4 it. I am not going to tell you how you should handle a downswing.... I think you know yourself best.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends. If you're able to be objective enough to gauge that you're losing despite playing what would normally be winning poker, and if you have the kind of personality that will allow you to continue until the downswing ends, by all means keep playing. Otoh, if you need a mental break to keep from making unnecessary changes to your game, then by all means take one.

M

Mursilis1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best thing you can do is take a day or two off and use that time to review your game and study. Make sure its not mistakes your making yourself causing the downswing. Comeback playing better than before.

xmarus91

xmarus91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would take a day break or two day break and if it happens again keep doing it. Hopefully you outlast the swings it can be very fustrating though

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to take a break from poker when I'm in drought.

"Nobody is always a winner, and anybody who says he is, is either a liar or doesn't play poker."
b.gif

- Amarillo Slim

TrailerPark

TrailerPark

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are not any droughts in poker just psychological barriers that give you the impression of a drought. I don't believe in droughts I believe you can make any two cards work to your advantage in any situation.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are not any droughts in poker just psychological barriers that give you the impression of a drought. I don't believe in droughts I believe you can make any two cards work to your advantage in any situation.
Optimism and positive thinking is one thing. But making every hand work to your advantage is a bit farfetched in my opinion. Unless you mean lose the minimum when your not going to win.??