Tournament question

O

OneMoreBust

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in a live tournament earlier today. Playing a variety of hands and bluffing once I saw the table was fairly soft. With maybe a pair of jacks in the first hour, I had gone from 4k chips to about 5k.

Then I was dealt Ks Qs suited on or one before the button. I raised 3x the BB and was called by one. Flop came Kd Qc 4h, the fellow was first to act and bet 500 (blinds are 100, so I think 650 was in the pot). I re-raised to 2k. He thought for a bit then called.

At this point I put him on a king with a J or A kicker. Turn comes As

He checks, my gut reaction is that he wants to see what I do since I took control on the flop. I have about 2500 chips left and push all in... my gut was that he probably had AK but I pushed anyway. He calls and flips over AK.

I hate being knocked out of tournaments when I flop a winning hand. Should I really fold two pair on a read like that? Should the A been enough of a scare card because he could have also been on a straight draw? My read on him was a tight aggressive player who would call all in with top pair. Should I have raised him from 500 to 4500? At that point I was trying to get value for my two pair, not expecting a 1 in 3 card to help him.

Ill admit I was completely pissed off after that. I shrug off beats in tournaments fine, if I am still in it, but with nowhere to direct my frustration it has been eating at me most of the night.

Any input on how I could have played this better would be appreciated. The only other thought I had was that I could have played it slower with not much scare beyond a straight draw, which I didnt put him on. I just dont feel like I can trust my reads, even though I am fairly good at it, in tournaments with people I dont know.

He could also have had 44 but I still was sure my read on the flop was someone who wasnt certain of where they stood, and Im sure with trip 4's they would have tried to force any potential straight draws out as well.

oy, thanks in advance.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have checked on the turn. The fact that he called originally and called 2k has to tell you he probably isn't bluffing at the pot. Pocket 4s would be bad for you anyhow, and an ace out there is real trouble. If he's sitting on 10 J you're beat. If he bet out on the river I might have to give it up. Great hand but it's about as bad a board as you can get.

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get your play. All you have to do is trust your read and lose the minimum. If you check the turn, he bets the river and you probably call, but at least you don't lost all your chips and you're still alive.

R

Reducto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your play was just fine until the allin. If a raise to 2000 doesn't chase him out not much will. I would have checked on the turn because you're either way ahead or way behind. I'd check and fold to anything more than about 500 on the river. With 2500 you can still fight back.

O

OneMoreBust

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see where checking is right, now that I know his hand... if he had KJ I am giving him a free shot at a 10. If he had K4 I am giving him a free shot at a 4. If he had 10 J or AK I was in trouble. He called my 3x BB raise pre flop, so he could have easily had KJ or K4 or even JJ. He called my big Re-raise on the flop he still could have had K4 or or KJ.

I guess my lesson learned is, slow down when I have a read that can beat me... I just hate giving people a chance to get lucky, hence the big raise on the flop. Knowing the guy, he would have pushed me all in on the river if his check didn't get a raise.... I still dont see how I could have folded it, just how I could have delayed losing my money till the river.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well at least you can speed up your play now, no reason to bother wasting valuable time getting reads on people if you are just gonna ignore them & play your hand anyway. :)

E

Ecomdan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, even if you had shoved on the flop, AK would probably have called you anyways so you'd still have busted out. If you were that confident of your read though you should have been able to let it go.