Tournament Late Registration:

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like to see as well but I don't think there is any advantage to this. Preferably in all fairness those who registered on time and ready to play on time there should be no late registrations. We all no the reason why the sites do this and it will not change.

If you are able to "chip up" some in first few rounds and someone comes to the table with the starting chip stack with the blinds higher than you have played, please tell me who has the advantage? Also coming to a table they know nothing about, where you have been able to observe players.

If you place in top ten of that tournament those late registries could change the prize pool enough to have you thinking why didnt they keep it open longer.

I see both sides of this but it doesn't prevent me from playing or not playing a tournament based on time for late registration or if I'm signing up late.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK possible I did see it wrong (personally I don't think I did) it was too long ago to remember clearly, but as for your above example, you haven't taken into account all the other ppl that are registering late.

Maybe it was a rebuy and you rebought at the beginning where not all of the other players had, that might explain it.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Maybe it was a rebuy and you rebought at the beginning where not all of the other players had, that might explain it.
No, I don't play rebuys, but I do remember that alot of ppl were registering late, and it is also possible that I registered only 20-30 mins after start time, as it was normal for me for a while to register 20-30 mins late, it has only been in the last month or so that I have been waiting till 59 mins after start to register, and the main reason I do that if to miss getting sucked out on bye some donkey shoving any 2 soooooted cards.

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At first I wasn't a fan but now I like it a lot. If i don't want to screw around in the first few smaller levels, I can now wait and jump right into the mix and get involved in pots that aren't worth 60 chips. That is the positive spin I have put on it.

Misofer

Misofer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm thinking differently on the second part of your post. The people that register on time don't have the advantage, there are no advantages with the registering on time, the advantages go to the late registered players because they get a fresh new stack while some others have already lost chips. I just think that late registration is useless, and that all players that want to play the tournament register before the tournament starts, and all stacks start at 1500 at the same time and not at different times.

You're not considering one crucial point. Blinds. Just to throw out some questions... Until what stage of the tournament would the late reg. be available? Knowing that we could easily figure out the advantage/disadvantage between both cases. How many BB's does the fresh stack has left? (Also compared to the ones who had been playing since the very beggining)

Thinking about that makes you wonder if late registration would be INDEED an advantage.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As you also dont have any influence over your seat, so you are also on a coin flip as to the size of the opposing stacks. This could be good or bad for you or mixed, but you will never know. Of course, you will also never know where you are at any stage of a tourny in advance anyway, so this may be a moot point.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont like late registration eighter.
When I start a tourney in PS or FT I experience that after 30 mins the number of players are increasing...thx to late reg. I cannot see the exact number of players when I register to a tourney I can only estimate them.
Anyway I got used to it after months of playing. :)
Otherwise Ipoker network doesnt allow late reg...

XDavidX808

XDavidX808

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes this could work in your favor in certain tournies, but sometimes when you late register you come into the game a very big underdog

villajoseph

villajoseph

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a good thread. cause you have 6 of 1 and 1/2 a dozen of another and in the end its not going to change but it sure feels good to vent

SystEmsuX

SystEmsuX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late registration bugs me, I admit. It's tougher to tell when/if there's going to be an overlay then. Anything more than 10 mins. after tourney starts should be too late to enter, imo.

bonflizubi

bonflizubi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, I don't play rebuys, but I do remember that alot of ppl were registering late, and it is also possible that I registered only 20-30 mins after start time, as it was normal for me for a while to register 20-30 mins late, it has only been in the last month or so that I have been waiting till 59 mins after start to register, and the main reason I do that if to miss getting sucked out on bye some donkey shoving any 2 soooooted cards.

This has to be the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard.

you WANT the donk shoving on you like that. most of the time your hand will hold, sometimes it wont. But the times it does more than makes up for the smaller % where it doesn't.

To win a tourney you need to take as many +EV situations as possible.... and avoiding the 67hh shove over your AA is the most -EV thing you could do.

And to other posts in this thread, the best players always try and reg on time so that they can get the dead money before someone else does. And since they are playing for a deep cash, they want the prize pool as big as possible.

Edit: and i have to agree with earlier poster that said you are probably a losing player/dead money if you think late reg is a smart thing for you to do/it's unfair to you in case you lost chips early. No offense.. but no one forces you to play the hands...be they played well or poorly.

17Fabrizio17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
New type of late registration

Following an 8- game event of the world series of poker this year I noticed a different setting of the late registration, where basically anybody that registered even 10 minutes after the first level started had to wait all the way through until 90 minutes have completed of the level and coming into the game starting in the next level.
Some of the well known players that had to sit around and watch for almost 90 minutes before they were allowed to sit in and play were Tony J., Howard Lederer, Criss Ferguson.

jbatesm

jbatesm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I could not agree more with the OP. It bothers me that someone can register after I have been sitting there and playing for almost an hour. I can understand like 30 minutes of late registration at the most. I guess if someone registers a full hour after it started then they are clearly starting at some disadvantage but they are also avoiding a full hour of playing. It can be positive and negative, but I feel like it is not something that should last as long. I noticed on pokerstars on that the number of people in the tournament can sometimes even double from late registers. There should be a cap on the number of late registrations given out or a much smaller time period.

trucker103

trucker103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive played some late reg . tourneys been on both sides of the op subject its all how u look at it some tourneys if u can avoid all the donking early might be worth waiting till almost the end of reg . of course dont play a lot of buyins with late reg. but was good to read everyones thoughts on it

Z

zebadie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think we can complain about them because there will always be a time when we may need to use the late reg' feature, however i can see how it may annoy you but you just have to think that its more money in the pot for you to win. I also think that if there are less than around 2-300 people in the tourny than the late reg should only be for about 1 level, if its a big amount, lets say 5k + than i would happily welcome all for a full hr (6 levels). GL

S

Slow Roll Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're not considering one crucial point. Blinds. Just to throw out some questions... Until what stage of the tournament would the late reg. be available? Knowing that we could easily figure out the advantage/disadvantage between both cases. How many BB's does the fresh stack has left? (Also compared to the ones who had been playing since the very beggining)

Thinking about that makes you wonder if late registration would be INDEED an advantage.
Oh yeah, I didn't think about the blinds. That is a good point. Thanks for pointing that out, I forgot about that.

The blinds are a disadvantage to the late registered people and an advantage to the people that have been playing since the beginning of the tournament. This is because if you have just registered then the blinds might already be on the second level, or any higher level than level one. And if that happened, it wouldn't be fair because you have to start with 1500 with higher blinds than what they started out with which makes the game a little unfair. The late registration should just be cut off and forgot about because it would make the game completely fair instead of there being advantages and disadvantages.

S

Slow Roll Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late registration bugs me, I admit. It's tougher to tell when/if there's going to be an overlay then. Anything more than 10 mins. after tourney starts should be too late to enter, imo.
I agree. The ten minutes it allows gets on my nerves, if people wanted to play the game then they should have registered in the tournament before it started. And like you said, over 10 minutes would really get on my nerves. An extra ten minutes is plenty of time, no need to give an extra 30 minutes or however long it gives people to register. There is no point in that, they should just register before the tournament starts and when the tournament starts the registration should be closed. That's how I would like it.

L

LarryT503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why worry so much? Just play smart, and if you do you should have a stack advantage when the late players enter.

S

Slow Roll Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why worry so much? Just play smart, and if you do you should have a stack advantage when the late players enter.
It's not that big of a deal to me - except that the prizes get worse and worse for my liking. I sign up for a tournament that I think I can win and that I want to play, I register and throughout late registration, the prizes keep getting worse. And now I'm playing a tournament that I don't want to play anymore. You don't like playing a tournament with too many players, and when you find one with not too many, you decide to sign up. After a while, the late registration ran the tournament up to more people than you had wanted to be in the tournament.

bonflizubi

bonflizubi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not that big of a deal to me - except that the prizes get worse and worse for my liking. I sign up for a tournament that I think I can win and that I want to play, I register and throughout late registration, the prizes keep getting worse. And now I'm playing a tournament that I don't want to play anymore. You don't like playing a tournament with too many players, and when you find one with not too many, you decide to sign up. After a while, the late registration ran the tournament up to more people than you had wanted to be in the tournament.

Sounds like you should play 90 or 180 man sngs. Or on stars they have tourneys with player caps at 360 and some at 1000. No need to worry about field size then- u know what it is.

But the prizes get better the more people play, not worse. With late reg you know there is not going to be an overlay. THe same % of people basically get paid. But the prize pool being bigger the $$ goes up quite a bit the further you go into the tournament.

I don't know why there being more players makes you feel you can't win anymore. It's less likely, sure, by pure statistics, but if you do go deep you make so much more.

Don't forget the old adage --- all your profit comes from your top 3 finishes. It's pretty accurate. And i'd rather top 3 at 2x the prize pool if I'm going to do it.

One other thing to think about- generally late registration duration is related to the structure of the tourney. The deeper the stacks, the loner the registration period. So for a 3k chip non turbo on stars it's an hour. For a 1500 chip turbo I think its only 1/2 an hour. (at least on FTP they make these adjustments.)

End of the day, if it bothers people they'd be more comfortable playing the 90 or 180 mans. Or the capped reg tournies on stars. Or the 135 man rush tournies on FTP. Everyone has the games they prefer.. and that's why they offer the alternatives. PLay what you like and play what you are good at...

S

Slow Roll Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like you should play 90 or 180 man sngs. Or on stars they have tourneys with player caps at 360 and some at 1000. No need to worry about field size then- u know what it is.

But the prizes get better the more people play, not worse. With late reg you know there is not going to be an overlay. THe same % of people basically get paid. But the prize pool being bigger the $$ goes up quite a bit the further you go into the tournament.

I don't know why there being more players makes you feel you can't win anymore. It's less likely, sure, by pure statistics, but if you do go deep you make so much more.

Don't forget the old adage --- all your profit comes from your top 3 finishes. It's pretty accurate. And i'd rather top 3 at 2x the prize pool if I'm going to do it.

One other thing to think about- generally late registration duration is related to the structure of the tourney. The deeper the stacks, the loner the registration period. So for a 3k chip non turbo on stars it's an hour. For a 1500 chip turbo I think its only 1/2 an hour. (at least on FTP they make these adjustments.)

End of the day, if it bothers people they'd be more comfortable playing the 90 or 180 mans. Or the capped reg tournies on stars. Or the 135 man rush tournies on FTP. Everyone has the games they prefer.. and that's why they offer the alternatives. PLay what you like and play what you are good at...
I don't play MTTs much at all, I stick to SnGs and cash games. But I like to have a really nice win every once in a while, so I give an MTT a try. When I register, I find one that I like that has a nice prize pool, a nice number of entrants, etc. I join the tournament, expecting a good tournament, and by time late registration is over, the number of entrants has grown by alot, maybe even doubled.

That part I think differently about, about the prize pool. The prize pool does get larger, but the thing that affects me is the number of people in the tournament. I'm on of those people that don't feel comfortable playing against too many people. If there is too many people, I don't think I can do it and I don't stay confident throughout the tournament. I think it's going to be literally impossible for me to get through that field because I'm not that good of a player. When the number of entrants grows to lots of people, I get "scared" by the number of them.

Anyone else this way?

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
This has to be the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard.

you WANT the donk shoving on you like that. most of the time your hand will hold, sometimes it wont. But the times it does more than makes up for the smaller % where it doesn't.
I understand that you want these ppl shoving but a lot of the time the worst hand gets rewarded, I'm thinking of the long term gain not the short term, it is just a personal preference that I don't like playing with the idiots that shove continually or every 2nd or 3rd hand, It puts me in the wrong frame of mind for the tourney, you don't have to agree with it, it is just a personal preference, I just prefer to play when the blinds are bigger and the shove monkeys have gone and when you hit a good hand you can double or triple up and be well on your way for the rest of the tourney. :icon_salu

bonflizubi

bonflizubi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand that you want these ppl shoving but a lot of the time the worst hand gets rewarded, I'm thinking of the long term gain not the short term, it is just a personal preference that I don't like playing with the idiots that shove continually or every 2nd or 3rd hand, It puts me in the wrong frame of mind for the tourney, you don't have to agree with it, it is just a personal preference, I just prefer to play when the blinds are bigger and the shove monkeys have gone and when you hit a good hand you can double or triple up and be well on your way for the rest of the tourney. :icon_salu

?? If that is your preference that's fine... but you are confusing short term and long term.

In the long term you win more by facing these guys monkey-shoving assuming you are calling them with a solid hand.

In the short term - yeah you might lose in that tourny. BUt the shove monkeys give you the beat chance to double or triple up... not the better players later who are less likely to pay off.

Let me guess you are playing real low buyins? Idiot opposition there is definitely frustrating..

Jay_Are_Pee

Jay_Are_Pee

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
late registration is good especially in turbos cause when a player enters late the player is at a huge disadvatage cause the blinds with antes are high leaving the new player with maybe 5-10 BB at best and thus making the player(s) more desperate and will push with marginal hands. As a poker player you are looking for any advantage over a player and this is it.

S

Slow Roll Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone actually like late registration? I very dislike it, as you can tell from my other posts in this thread.