The Top 100 Greatest Poker Quotes of All Time - Hellmuth, Negreanu, Ivey, Dwan

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just finished putting together my list of the top 100 greatest poker quotes of all time. Hellmuth, Negreanu, Ivey, Dwan, Ungar and Brunson, they are all in there.

This post has caused quite a stir and discussion on Twitter and around the poker community. Which is good because that is why I created it!

Now I wanna know your take. What is your favorite poker quote of all time? Did I miss one that should be on the list?

https://www.blackrain79.com/2018/07/best-poker-quotes.html

V

VP Pappy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket QUEENS

“Pocket QUEENS are arguably the third best Hold ‘em starting hand, but like everything having to do with the ladies, it just isn’t that simple. It is also one of the hands players go broke with most often. The cards are beautiful, mesmerizing. All that paint is hypnotic, but you must use your head, not your heart. You must tread cautiously and think carefully, not jump in with both feet like a love-struck teenager.”
--Katie Lindsay, Pro Player magazine

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
"You can not fight for everything" !

Daniel Negreanu

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good compilation. It was nice to read it.

F

fastfash25

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"A deuce on the river never helped anybody, anytime"
Norman Chad"

A

animalitymk3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doyle Brunson: It's easy to learn but takes a lifetime to master.

I'm not sure of the exact quote, but it was something within those lines. I was a fan of his introductions when he was on "High Stakes Poker" the show. I think he's a good reason that I play.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"If there weren't luck involved, I would win every time." - Phil Hellmuth

I can relate to thist setence cause i lost to consecutive hands with AA and QQ, yeah that`s right CONSECUTIVE, i was in aggressive mode the two times, lost a lot of money, and i entered in tilt mode or can i say Phil Hellmuth mode ?

Aestheticzz

Aestheticzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doyle Brunson: It's easy to learn but takes a lifetime to master.

I'm not sure of the exact quote, but it was something within those lines. I was a fan of his introductions when he was on "High Stakes Poker" the show. I think he's a good reason that I play.

8. “The name of the game is no-limit Texas Hold’em, the game that takes a minute to learn but a lifetime to master.” - Mike Sexton

It's number 8 on his list.

V

VP Pappy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Top 100 Greatest Poker Quotes of All Time

They should have waited until they went through my four poker books that are loaded with the best quotes (I think) ever said on poker:

POKER THINK
THE JOKE-TIONARY of POKER JARGON
HALLOWED HOLD’EM POKER
QUOTATIONS FROM CHAIRMAN VP PAPPY on POKER

"Great poker players talk about theories and concepts. Good players talk about strategies and ploys. Average players talk about winning and losing. Poor players talk about their bad beats."
--VP Pappy

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Needs way more Tony G higher up in the list where he tells all his opponents (especially phil helmuth) that he is going to destroy them. Definitely the most fun player to watch imo.

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
poker quotes

I just finished putting together my list of the top 100 greatest poker quotes of all time. Hellmuth, Negreanu, Ivey, Dwan, Ungar and Brunson, they are all in there.

This post has caused quite a stir and discussion on Twitter and around the poker community. Which is good because that is why I created it!

Now I wanna know your take. What is your favorite poker quote of all time? Did I miss one that should be on the list?

Benny Binion: The one you do not have to go with
The only bad luck for a good gambler is poor health. Any other obstacle is just a temporary irritation. - Benny Binion This is my favorite quote say it is not.

M

markoavila

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"You are not playing poker. YOUE STUPID".

BY Hellmuth

X

xxgsaint5501xx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Pardon me if I missed it but is Negreanu's "more rake is better for the players" quote in there somewhere?

Canaveral

Canaveral

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK

Not sure who originally said this, and there have been several variatons, but I think it almost every time I get Ace-King:

"AK stands for Anna Kournikova. Looks pretty but seldom wins."

dcproster

dcproster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Honey, they forgot one thing - I can dodge bullets, baby!" - Phil Hellmuth
This is like the best one ever.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What a big deal your job is. The question is whether this is necessary. I think this is interesting for poker fans. For the rest of the world, this is just a factor in the existence of poker.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is also a saying that a genius learns poker in six months, an ordinary person - in 2 years, a monkey - in 3 years. I do not know to whom this saying belongs. But, judging by my development, I am lower than a monkey.))

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Something close to this on Poker After Dark:[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
Not an exact quote:
[/FONT]If I'm dealt the
[/FONT]same <junk> hand three times in a row, I'll play it just to get rid of it. --Doyle Brunson

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
There are some great quotes from some real characters in the gambling world...some of Nick the Greek's words of wisdom (and others) need to be lived to be appreciated. One of his most well known quotes was when he went from boom to bust but was still playing.

From the oracle:
"In Eliot Asinof's Eight Men Out, the author attributes this gambling wisdom to Nick the Greek: "Never bet on anything that can talk.""

Last edited:
A

airvikki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is also a saying that a genius learns poker in six months, an ordinary person - in 2 years, a monkey - in 3 years. I do not know to whom this saying belongs. But, judging by my development, I am lower than a monkey.))

Have fun) Let's be friends, I also belong to the monkeys:)

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
This is my favorite quote:
When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience. :)

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have fun) Let's be friends, I also belong to the monkeys:)
For me, the entire community is friends or poker night buddies)). Glad to our virtual acquaintance.:)