Too Much Competition

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker players are better than ever. It is easier than ever to learn. However, bankroll management, the key to actually making money, takes longer to learn.

JDCT12

JDCT12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You see more hands online so you are going to see more beats.

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe you would feel more comfortable in the game of Checkers.

Just a thought........ lol

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its definietely harder then before but with enough training,improving grindind im sure you can do it,luck is going to be on your side at some point for sure

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
the only way to constantly win is to play better than 90% of the players play. Those. you have to get into 10%, and it's not so simple and by itself this will not happen if you do not work on improving your game !!!

Ivan Basic

Ivan Basic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no, there will always be new fishes to catch.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I no longer play Holdem for profit. I'm transitioning into more of Mixed games, PLO, PLO Hi/Lo, 7 Stud. Those are the games where you are gonna find the weaker players now a days. The days of building a bankroll in Holdem is over, I believe. Granted I will never turn down a good GTD tournament on-line, or not play in the wsop because of this. To me its all about accepting the evaluation of the game, and what my next move is. If you have watched video's, study the game, know you are making the right plays, and you still are losing or breaking even. It's cause your 100% right. There are too many good players. Look for the bad one, and beat them. It's insane to keep trying in holdem if you cant beat them. find another way.

Mickflava888

Mickflava888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agreed my friend as i play a lot of both, iv'e honestly lost very very little playing live games in a format much like a pokerstars cash rebuy game and don't say nearly as much crazy playouts

Jooseme

Jooseme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is certainly beatable, but the competition is fierce these days. Maybe look into a game like PLO where the knowledge and experience is thinner.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like every other thing constant learning and improving is the key to get best results. I am new player compared to many of you (last 2 to 3 months i started playing more seriously) and i play only freerolls for now but i see improvement in my game by reading books and looking for information in internet. Will see how it goes in long turn but in my opinion definitely will to learn and patience are the key to long term success.

E

ElRosado

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck??

Im amazing how many people here are talking about luck. Of there is luck in every aspect of life. In my opinion in the realm poker the variance that is luck is so limited. There's only 52 cards. It's all math. Know the math and be patient. And variance will take care of it's self.

Jayplay916

Jayplay916

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think that live poker is so much better and the competition out here in california is pretty good but ill say this id rather be lucky then good anyday

VivicvrMga

VivicvrMga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The sea is big enough for all the fish in action. Continue for the love of the game or for hobby but giving up is not worth

Ruminate

Ruminate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's never been a better time to learn anything and just because there's a "plethora of poker advice", as the original poster pointed out, does NOT mean most people that play poker will maximize (key word) the use of that information. Humans are a lazy lot, always looking for a magic pill...which is good news for those willing to pursue understanding and application of knowledge.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more you play the more you learn "that's poker" its like any job out there if you like it you'll pay attention to it or else just complains there will be. And the more you are at it the better you become everyday. Don't be negative it's a bad influence.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Today, there are a ton of opportunities to improve your game, and easy access to it online. You don't even have to leave your house to improve your game. So, it's easy to see how players have gotten better and how the game of poker has evolved and adapted.

mk0523

mk0523

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's time to get players to adopt a new game. Too many people know how to play the game now due to people just giving away info for free without people even having to pay or work and see how to play the game on their own.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are right. Luck is necessary, and in multi table tourneys, getting the luck at the proper time, vis a vis the blind increases.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Today, there are a ton of opportunities to improve your game, and easy access to it online. You don't even have to leave your house to improve your game. So, it's easy to see how players have gotten better and how the game of poker has evolved and adapted.

Yup definitely this ^ ... and on top of this there are just a ton of European players who are putting in large volume across all the micro & small stakes, making the games much tougher.
OP, I believe you have a very valid point as far as how the games are these days. Great to hear you are taking strides to level the playing field for yourself.

It is sad though that this thread has been so largely polluted by 'rigged believers'. OP, my thoughts are, many of the posters in this thread aren't good enough to know they're not good & wouldn't realize they're far behind the level of play in the games today (unless of course they're strictly playing freerolls which is very likely... but I suppose even the public freerolls have gotten tougher fields these days).

steve22055

steve22055

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Instead of saying "I feel like there are too many good players out there these days." Say to yourself, How can I get better to compete with all the good players and win my share of the games?