thoughts

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Big fan of that beer, and I am a big fan of hops in general, but 11 of those might be a little much for hoppiness.

-the cash thread is just a community thread.

I get that. And that is also a great deal of my problem. I am not really part of that community. I don't think I really fit in to it very well. So I am not entirely comfortable participating in it.

This doesn't make me feel like a failure at poker, life or anything else though. Just that I know who I am and where I fit.

-my standard for being a dedicated poker player is pretty high, but like, imo it's still better to actually run a lot and adjust your diet and sleeping accordingly if you're into running, as oppose to saying "i love running but i do it my own way and not for anyone else" and then running around your house 3 times twice a week and spending the rest of the time on the couch

Funny. I just came in from my quick little 3 mile run. I am more of a cyclist though. I want to run more but it just makes my feet, hips and back so mad.

I would like to know what your standard for real poker is then. What would you like to see me doing to be less of a couch potato. I am not saying I will do it, I just want to know. ;)

The reason I am not likely to do it is I am extremely focused on running my small business. It's not so much a time thing as it is a money thing. We've hit a bit of a slow time and I just don't have an extra $500 I can send to a poker site where I am as likely to lose it to the DOJ. ;) I don't see what remains as online poker in the US as being safe enough for me to risk that at the moment.

If that means I have no "swagger" in your eyes... well so be it. I don't mind if you see me as something I am not really. Chances are slim to none we ever meet.

-we can help you with live poker. the first step is admitting that you have a problem.

OK. I have more than one really. I admit it.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, being realistic is more important than anything else when you're evaluating your poker situation, and it seems that you're doing that for the most part.

if you're focusing on your business or raising a baby or w/e, then there's no reason for you to force yourself to play poker if you don't have the time (in both of these scenarios, you most likely don't legitimately have the time). the main point of this thread was to get people to evaluate their specific situation more realistically and ask themselves if time/whatever is truly an issue, or if they're just being lazy.

i have a hunch that a lot of people here are being lazy when it comes to poker and it's disappointing to see that. however that doesn't mean everyone should be playing 50k+ hands a month, especially if time/money are a legitimate issue. it's important to think about. the US player situation is definitely riskier and i don't expect everyone to be risk averse enough to want to play on a site that allows US players.

the biggest disappointment comes from seeing people wasting their potential. each person's situation is different though, and it's important that others are as realistic about their goals/expectations as you.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you're focusing on your business or raising a baby or w/e, then there's no reason for you to force yourself to play poker if you don't have the time (in both of these scenarios, you most likely don't legitimately have the time).

Well I am doing both. Though my babies are 9 and 5 now. ;)

But I make time for poker. For example we are hosting a 20+ person tourney here at the studio this Friday night. Want to come play?

I guess in the end it is a matter of different definitions of what making poker a priority really means. 50K hand months is neither realistic or even fun sounding for me. Maybe later though...

You know if I had my FTP roll over at Merge I'd play the crap out of online poker.

Anyway, I'll stop mucking up your motivational thread with my sidebar now and let the true faithful come up for the altar call. It's no fun having a vocal atheist come hang out at church i 'spose.

Thanks for letting me visit. {honest mode off... quiet mode back on}

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
So I should prolly like 'act as if I got the 10-incher' then? (thinkin' 9 would just keep my on my current apathetic path).

kind of spammy post here ^ .. but mostly just cuz I'm wantin' to subscribe to this thread.

gd post btw

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Act as if = representing ???

good rant...enjoyed

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't bash cash thread, yea its a total shitshow, but thats the point

Dont like cash thread- dont post, its simple. There's prob more poker content in there than lots of other places on CC, where the standard is "do i fold AA preflop?" "hottest poker girl evar?" "im just folding AK preflop now"

and no offense Vanq, but you spam cash thread alot too. I'm not calling you out or anything, I'm just sayin....We all spam and mess around in that thread, but it pretty much just contains all the shit that's non poker related.

There are so many more pressing issues at CC than the cash thread, where almost all the posters could be considered "above average" at CC, though thats really not saying much....

KD started a strategy thread so that can answer "real" questions if you want too

edit: Obv, I qualify as cash thread spammers who could be playing 100nl if i sunk my teeth in, but BF just kind of killed motivation for lots of US players. That's not really an excuse, but it's the truth. As far as posting good content goes, I wouldn't consider myself good enough to post any serious strategy related stuff, so I put together beginner guides, try to analyze other shit etc. I like the post Vanq, just think ppl hate cash thread unnecessarily

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I was really the only cash thread basher... But I reserve the right.

Cash thread owes me nothing. I owe it nothing.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I was really the only cash thread basher... But I reserve the right.

Cash thread owes me nothing. I owe it nothing.

its not just you, its a common theme at CC imo

sorry for the slightly drunk rant, but still my thoughts on the subject

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i am unaware of such themes but that's mainly because i only am subscribed to like 5 threads

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CAPS - I respect you bro, your a really good member here, but I dont get all this negativity re the cash game chat thread. Its a low content, lets post anything here thread for cash game players or anyone who want to post there. Years ago ppl were making threads for any old shite and it was ridiculous the amount of the amount of threads that were created just to say, 'hey I just had a pooh'. That thread was primarily created to chat to ppl about anything and even ask some poker related stuff as well.

It gets cliqueyish at times, but WV patrols in there and he can quiclky sort that shit out so it's not too bad, certainly not like 2p2. All new posters in there should actually be welcomed so as to get more cash game players learning from the more experienced members so then they can quickly contribute some interesting strat discussion. It should be a breeding ground so to speak.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
CAPS - I respect you bro, your a really good member here, but I dont get all this negativity re the cash game chat thread. Its a low content, lets post anything here thread for cash game players or anyone who want to post there. Years ago ppl were making threads for any old shite and it was ridiculous the amount of the amount of threads that were created just to say, 'hey I just had a pooh'. That thread was primarily created to chat to ppl about anything and even ask some poker related stuff as well.

It gets cliqueyish at times, but WV patrols in there and he can quiclky sort that shit out so it's not too bad, certainly not like 2p2. All new posters in there should actually be welcomed so as to get more cash game players learning from the more experienced members so then they can quickly contribute some interesting strat discussion. It should be a breeding ground so to speak.
Seriously this, Caps, your acting like its the route of all evil

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm totally guilty too (although I'm mainly playing MTTs) since I sometimes realize I'm wasting my time being a BR nit and playing on sub par levels.

On the other hand with a new and very demanding job, a small boy who I never see longer than 2 hours a day during the week and a gf with a life-threatening illness

+ a somewhat manifested depression caused by her illness I'm trying to get a "normal" family life running at the weekends.

That's not good regarding poker volume, but it's far more important for me atm.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a) you can meet fun, hilarious, awesome, determined, successful people that you can network with. why aren't you actively pursuing this? (disclaimer: i know many at CC do this and try to pursue relationships, a) is mostly dedicated to those that aren't doing this enough)
Best quote/thing to do for poker

quote from boiler room:

"There's an important phrase that we use here, and think it's time that you all learned it. Act as if. You understand what that means? Act as if you are the ****ing President of this firm. Act as if you got a 9" **** (word for weener). Okay? Act as if."
best quote for life

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seriously this, Caps, your acting like its the route of all evil

My apologies. I suppose I came a wee bit over the top. :)