Thinking Fish 2NL Chapter 0 - Introduction

R

RVladimiro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By the time I felt I had 2NL beaten I started writting a pdf for the CC community about dealing with 2NL. It's a thing fish like doing right?! That pdf had the name "The Thinking Fish". I've looked through it time and time again but the truth is I'm a very new player therefor, my vision and ideas are constantly changing (for better I hope) so I was constantly changing it and the only page that wasn't changed on a weekly basis was the frontpage.

So I wondered "what if this is a never ending thing?" and "what if it is wrong? what if I read it in a year and it makes no sense to me?" I couldn't share the pdf thinking that it wasn't the best possible thing I could deliver, now or over time. Then I thought, what if instead of presenting by egocentric view of 2NL, I shared it on the forums so it can be discussed and improved?

So I decided to import each chapter to a post. Maybe it's a bit spammy but that way we can discuss each chapter and improve the initial post to a better overall documentation about 2NL, the first and probably weirdest stepping stone in online poker.

So why the intro? To build suspense? Not really. The biggest difference between "Fish" and "Thinking Fish" is not really understanding position and ranges but thinking about that (and more) while playing. I believe that beating 2NL is a grokking process where our brain creates automatisms that allows us to improve other aspects of our decision making. That grokking process is not explained in books, not any book I know at least and it was only possible to me in this same forum.

So I want to say thank you here. Thank you to the CC community but especially all those that made such a huge impact in my knowledge like bgomez and acky, the way I look at things like Chuck_Ts, WV, c9, baudib and Stu_Ungar and the dozens that offered help, support and a simple tap in the back when things were rough.

Next, Chapter 1 - Opening and Calling Ranges