IS there a better way to play this hand and not be a fish....

K

KarlKMD

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I know this is a freeroll and people play these things very wild.
So is there any other way i can play this? Everytime i play in these freerolls....or small buy tourney's...i always find myself in these situations and cant seem to over come them. Is it hand selection, victim of bad luck, or just poor play on my part?

full tilt poker Game #4340169805: $100 United States Freeroll (32841861), Table 82 - 30/60 - No Limit Hold'em - 21:38:20 ET - 2007/11/29
Seat 1: Laikin (3,435), is sitting out
Seat 2: KingDreamz7 (17,301)
Seat 3: txbullmoose (1,260), is sitting out
Seat 4: DOLAN0707 (13,265)
Seat 5: Gotuguessin (11,662)
Seat 6: MrAnerson (1,245), is sitting out
Seat 7: cath7698 (10,870)
Seat 8: jb2swift4u (4,070)
Seat 9: bayoutaco (6,910)
bayoutaco posts the small blind of 30
Laikin posts the big blind of 60
The button is in seat #8
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bayoutaco [Tc Kc]
Laikin has returned
KingDreamz7 calls 60
txbullmoose folds
DOLAN0707 calls 60
Gotuguessin calls 60
MrAnerson folds
cath7698 folds
jb2swift4u calls 60
bayoutaco has 15 seconds left to act
bayoutaco calls 30
Laikin checks

*** FLOP *** [6d Jh Kh]

bayoutaco checks
Laikin checks
KingDreamz7 has 15 seconds left to act
KingDreamz7 checks
DOLAN0707 bets 360(this guy has been playing pretty loose to this part)
Gotuguessin folds
jb2swift4u folds
bayoutaco raises to 1,200(i decided to test the strength of his hand, i think im ahead at this momment)
Laikin is sitting out
Laikin folds
KingDreamz7 folds
DOLAN0707 raises to 3,960(this reraise signals to me a weak K or some sort of straight or flush draw. This player would raise with anything lik K10 or better so i know my K is better and he could possibly have limped with any suited cards or hands like 10-9.)
bayoutaco raises to 6,850, and is all in ( i decided to make a stand, because i believe he is just on a draw )
DOLAN0707 calls 2,890

bayoutaco shows [Tc Kc]
DOLAN0707 shows [Qh 9h]

*** TURN *** [6d Jh Kh] [9s]
*** RIVER *** [6d Jh Kh 9s] [9d]

bayoutaco shows two pair, Kings and Nines
DOLAN0707 shows three of a kind, Nines
DOLAN0707 wins the pot (14,060) with three of a kind, Nines
bayoutaco stands up
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 14,060 | Rake 0
Board: [6d Jh Kh 9s 9d]
Seat 1: Laikin (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 2: KingDreamz7 folded on the Flop
Seat 3: txbullmoose didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: DOLAN0707 showed [Qh 9h] and won (14,060) with three of a kind, Nines
Seat 5: Gotuguessin folded on the Flop
Seat 6: MrAnerson didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: cath7698 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 8: jb2swift4u (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 9: bayoutaco (small blind) showed [Tc Kc] and lost with two pair, Kings and Nines

Any feedback is welcome, thanks......

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a matter of what risks you want to take. You were ahead, but he had the flush draw plus the gutshot straight, and sucked out with the 9s instead. He has a big stack so he's probably more willing to go with a strong draw than the average stack.

You thought he was on a draw, and he was. You opted to risk your tourney on beating that draw but lost, albeit in an odd way. In a freeroll against a big stack you're likely to get called as you were, but sometimes you're going to win and sometimes you're going to get outdrawn.

Pokerstove says in this case you were a 57-43 favorite and if he doesn't have the straight draw you're more like 60-40, but that still means you're going to lose 40% of the time. Your choice whether to risk your tourney life or not.

Welcome to Cardschat, btw

Boltneck

Boltneck

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Karl, welcome to CC. There is actually a tournament hand analysis forum which is probably where you should have posted this, but no doubt one of those nice mods will move it shortly.

There is also a tool on this site Poker Hand Converter Tool that converts hand histories to something that is easier on the eye. It doesn't work with all sites, but it's pretty good when it does work.

Anway, my only comment about your hand would be that I personally wouldn't have gone to war on such a marginal hand. From what you have said about the villain, his range of hands could have been pretty substantial and I'd not risk bombing out on something as flimsy as KTs (after the flop gave no flush draws).

HOTWHEELBOB

HOTWHEELBOB

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
next time try check/call and not push all in he/her did suck out:cool:

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you were a little overconfident in your read. It's the "punish the maniac" syndrome. You knew he was loose, so you got even looser and stacked off with TPWK.

To me, his re-re-raise said "I'm staying in this pot no matter what." Sometimes he has the draw, but a lot of times he has a legit better hand or a combo draw, too. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this situation I may have led out with the K high flop. Then if we are faced with a re raise, we know where we stand in the hand.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands