Texas Hold'em: is it a sport or is it gambling?

PC91

PC91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a gamble sport. Or a game of skill. ;-)

N

Nagulo

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many say that this game is more a game of chance than a sport but I will always hold that the mental fatigue that one has to do in a tournament or game is very great from which one only has to wait for a hand that helps the situation, in conclusion it is both

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
id say

Its a sport. always walls to climb lol

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obviously it is an extreme sport

D

Dritzer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sport or Gambling

All sports AND games have a strategic aspect... I spent 20 years in the Marine Corps learning tactics for the battle field. 3 tours in Iraq have taught me that my enemy is continuously changing tactics. The best coaches in sports change up the game plan for each game. Truly great poker players do not stick to one game plan for each session, and they change tactics mid session to adjust to the opposing players. Modern day Generals study all the great military leaders of the past, going back thousands of years, to refine there tactics... likewise poker players should study all the great and attempt to out maneuver players. So I think it is both game and a sport...

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe it is a game of skill, where the long term outcome is determined mostly by mental skill.

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course, Texas Hold'em in particular can be attributed to sports,since the tournament means it is a sport.When you play for money, there is an interest that implies winning, that is, excitement.

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It is a sport... with some lucky involved

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see it as both. You are gambling theres no question about that. But if you take it seriously it can be a sport if you try to make accomplishments out of it like build a bankroll or get tournament wins bracelets rings and such.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, Everyone! I will reply simply and shortly: NL Holdem is sportive unpredictable gambling...:rolleyes:
That's all! And Good Luck Everybody! ;):angel::)

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion it is a game of chance, because 50% of knowledge and 50% of luck influence

M

mp3player

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This game shouldn't be a sport as there is a huge amount of "%" of luck compared to skill. Compared to sports where there is less luck % with alot of skill

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
None of them! It is a game! An exciting game with great experiences!

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's gambling and when it pays off its skill

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Texas Hold'em is like a sport for me, it's not a slot) You have to think, calculate outs, analyze your opponents.

P

pltelles

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sport of the mind, because it has more to do with how you play than the luck of the cards.

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on how you play it:

For some players it is most assuredly gambling! They take huge risks and try to hit cards.

For elite players who have mastered the theory and practiced all the spots, the edge comes down to performance: who can focus better, and longer, and under higher degrees of pressure. At such a level, it is a sport.

For those who approach it socially, as something to do, it takes on the quality of a game. Or a puzzle, for those who are more reclusive.

That's what's great about it... it can be many things to many different types of people.

Last edited:
M

Mahereid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on why you play poker. I would definitely categorize it as a sport. Gambling is just a part of the process.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not a sport. I don't understand why people keep trying to get it recognized as one. I have never sweated at the poker table because of physically exhaustion. My legs and lungs have never burned because I have run so much. We sit. It's not a sport. That doesn't make it any less of a great game. The game is good on its own. It doesn't have to be a sport. I have played sports which I'm sure 90% of us have. There is a big difference. But the reality that it's not a sport should not take away from what poker is. It doesn't have to be a sport. And it's not.

Agree completely!

Porras2424

Porras2424

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say both ... because .. to my perspective it really is a game that you have to dedicate a lot of time to .. of course if you take it as a short term job .. and in the long term it becomes a pleasant routine for those of us who love this game , I would say that sport also because it puts us in healthy competitiveness .. and as in all sports if you have good decisions, good decisions and you play well you are a starter and a winner .. good luck guys ... that the game does not stop ... let's continue for the road to success ... train ... study ... and play many hands .only then you will triumph ....

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think of it as gambling only. I don't feel like it is a sport in any way. It is a game of chance more than I think of it as gambling.

D

denissaangerami

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Texas Holden poker is a mental sport for me, it is 70% skills and strategies and 30% luck and chance. :D

J

jeffman123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think texas holdem can be either a mental sport or gambling depending on how you look at it. Can you play Poker the same way you play slots/roullete and just try to gamble some money and have fun? Absolutely. Can you go really in depth in studying poker and try to make the most profitable decision at every opportunity, like you would if you were playing chess? Absolutely. It's all up to how you decide to approach the game and what you want to get out of it.

inox73

inox73

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for sure gambling high risk to loosing money but much fun and with luck and skill it can be really profitable

GabaGabaHey

GabaGabaHey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Geez, the choice should be simple.

Check out the fitness level of anyone you play tennis, squash, soccer, hockey, basketball with.
Then checkout the fat blobs sitting around the table at just about any tournament on television.

Need I say more?

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling