Swinging BR, what to do.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started with $10 my friend transferred to me at the beginning of the week because I didn't want to deposit $50, had it up to $136 now I'm at a weird place. My BR keeps swinging there between $90 - $130. I dunno I'm frustrated been swinging here all week long.

Mostly playing 9/6 handed ring games and SnG's

I'm afraid this 50/50 funk is eventually gonna lead to tilting. I dunno just frustrated. My goal is to make $500 by Next Sunday.

What do you guys do when this happens? I've been in it before but never did the smart thing.

Behrens900

Behrens900

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't set such ambitious goals or it will make you frustrated if you don't make them and lead to a massive tilt landslide. Why are you in such a hurry to get to $500? From $10 to $136 in a week is already impressive so maybe slow things down a bit. You should transfer your friend $10 back if you haven't already done so so you are not "in debt". I sometimes find myself in a similar situation... I like to think my bankroll looks like a sin wave. Although on the way down, I end up getting angry that I'm losing, which leads me to play higher limits, which can spike my bankroll temporarily but usually ends up making be bankrupt.

So, just keep playing your game and whatever you do, don't be like me and play irrational limits (eg. having $136 in bank and sitting at a cash game with $50). You can't expect to grow your BR in a straight line so don't worry about this 50/50 funk. Keep playing the same and like I said it's not a race to $500. Play normal and you will get there.

spranger

spranger

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
it might have something to do with the goal you've set yourself.
just focus on playing the best poker you can, not how quick you need to make 500$, which will affect your play

edit: he said this already above

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Standard variance, what you playing?

MTT is highest variance then SNGS and then cash games so what you playing?

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What stakes are you playing?? You've got enough for 5nl cash games so thats like 6 BI swings there, thats quite severe for 5nl imo b/c its quite easy to beat, maybe you have leaks in your game, are you using PT or HEM??

I'm gonna take a guess that your not playing within your bankroll, based on you going from $10-136 in a week! you should be playing like $5nl, $1-3 mtt's and $3 Sng's really, if your playing these well then you shouldnt have swings like that i dont think.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Standard variance, what you playing?

MTT is highest variance then SNGS and then cash games so what you playing?

I'm playing .10/.25 NL
.25/.50 Cap NL
9 Handed $5-$10 SnG's

kleitches

kleitches

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm playing .10/.25 NL
.25/.50 Cap NL
9 Handed $5-$10 SnG's

Those are all way outside of your bankroll, dude. Search Bankroll Management and you'll find yourself having less swings in your roll. You need at least $500 to be playing 25nl. With your roll, you should be playing 5nl ($0.02/$0.05) cash games. Don't even mess with the cap games since they're just a crapshoot and not really poker. If you're going to play sngs, you should be playing the $5.25 ones at the very highest.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm playing .10/.25 NL
.25/.50 Cap NL
9 Handed $5-$10 SnG's

wow dude your out of your BR by a long shot.

BR for 25nl (0.10/0.25) should be between $500+ which is 20 BIs
BR for 50nl (0.25/0.50) should be $1500+ which is 30BIs
SnGs I dont know as I dont play them but your BR is 9 BIs which is far too low.

you should be playing 5nl (0.02/0.05) and if you dont believe me then try it and keep playing those limits and I can assure you that you will be re depositing soon enough!:) GL

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing is your at the lowest limits so it is going to take you a while to get where your going. Forget 500 dollars keep playing untill you are winning at a steady rate. When you have enough move too 5 dollar sngs then to the 10 and so on. Breakeven days, weeks even months are common keep playing and learning and carry on, if your playing right you will gain eventually.

How many tables do you play at a time?

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sad face - I learned how to play poker from Vinyl Burns ... he taught me wrong apparently

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry to upset you guys by not listening but I stuck with the $1 SnG's 9/18 players (after I got beat out of the $5 CC, nh pokerchild) kept getting beat out players were not afraid to gamble to try to catch a straight or would call a raise with Ace high and hit their ace. So after about 5 of these I went back to my original $5 - $10 SnG's

Got my BR up just a little bit in a 6 hour session last night

Attachments

• brskyrocket.jpg
    brskyrocket.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 7
jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey man, good job working it up to $360. You really are playing out of your roll and it will cost you, if you continue to play this way. Now that you have much more room to work with, I would stick with some simple BR rules. Just stick to the 20 BI rule for SNGs and Ring Games, and the 50 BI rule for mtts and you should be at $500 within a couple good sessions.

GL!

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even more good news lol. Now that I was in a little more comfortable situation with BR won a few SnG's ... decided to try my heads up skills in a .25/.50 NL ring table add $197 to the $360 which exceeds my goal 5 days early... just gotta show my friend and he's gonna send $50 my way because he bet I couldnt do it with the $10 he sent me.

Fastest BR growth (more of a rush) I have ever had but also the most dangerous.

But, NOW I WILL STICK TO BR Management :) and probably take a break for a couple of days thank you guys

Attachments

• goalmet.jpg
    goalmet.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 7
B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good hussle but you are a lucky boy you didn't go broke.

Well Done.

Now stick to the BRM!!

spranger

spranger

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
not bad, good to see someone prove everybody wrong
unless you lose it all, then we were right ;)

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played well got lucky and made it across the line. Well done, and i hope you do start to play within your roll, people don't say it for no reason, people can go broke too easily when they don't. It's often very hard to step down as well, though i guess you'll just be sticking to where you're at now you properly bankrolled.

Congrats, and good luck on keeping the line in the upwards direction.