Surviving the Bubble

M

mpbmoney

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey chapstick, good post. I always try to wait for a big hand to get involved in (AA-JJ, AKs in late position) around the bubble, but sometimes this just isn't possible. The buy-in of the tourney affects how I play the bubble, for example, if it's a freeroll or a $1-2 buy-in I'm going to play to win or make the final table, since going out just after the bubble isn't going to accomplish much. In bigger tournaments, I play to cash unless I have a lot of chips. I'll offer my opinion on those three situations assuming it's a $5 tournament that started with 200-300 players:
29 people left, you're in 26, cash at 27- I would fold every hand but AA or KK unless I was pot-committed in the SB or BB, where I would push with any pair or 2 overcards.
29 people left, you're in 18, cash at 27- I would play conservatively, but try to see cheap flops with small-medium pairs to try to hit a set and bust someone.
29 people left, you're in 5, cash at 27- I would play aggressively, raising with anything from suited connectors to big hands. This is a great situation, and I love being able to steal blinds and antes at this point because they are usually pretty big.