Study: U.S. Could Reap Billions Through Internet Gambling Regulation

JeffreyS

JeffreyS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Updated revenue projections show that regulating Internet gambling would generate approximately $52 billion in revenues for the U.S treasury over the next decade. This fact should get lawmakers attention given the state of our economy and need to find resources for critical government programs.

Full Reuters article covering this issue can be found here - http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSTRE51O85J20090225

We encourage you to strike while the media attention is hot and contact your member of congress to let him or her know that you support legalizing internet gambling. Visit www.safeandsecureig.org to send an email to your elected representatives and learn more about this important issue.

Thanks.

Jeffrey Sandman
Safe and Secure Internet Gambling Initiative
www.safeandsecureig.org
www.facebook.com/pages/Safe-and-Secure-Internet-Gambling-Initiative/22884927809

GDRileyx

GDRileyx

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
The federal government should not regulate Internet gambling, they should run it. Lock, stock and barrel. The states don't regulate lotteries.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The federal government should not regulate Internet gambling, they should run it. Lock, stock and barrel. The states don't regulate lotteries.

I really really really hope you are kidding. We're not China.

GDRileyx

GDRileyx

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
No, I'm not kidding. I don't know what makes you think I would be.

Today's state lotteries used to be the illegal numbers racket, a big source of revenue for Organized Crime. Now, the states took over that business and killed two birds with one stone. They took a bite out of Organized Crime, and put a ton of money to work for the public good. It also helps small businesses who get a comission on ticket sales.

I don't see why the Federal Government should accept a small piece of a big pie, when they can start their own pie and keep a bigger piece. Online gambling sites, located offshore, profit organized crime and foreign investors. It's no better than the revenue drain created by buying foreign oil.

We already have a huge national debt and a huge foreign trade deficit. This would close both gaps, and probably bring in substantial revenues from offshore players, rather than sending substantial revenues offshore.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think what GD meant was the continuation of the statement "The states don't regulate lotteries".. they run them.

Not sure that is true in all cases about the states. Seem to recall seeing that some lotteries are contracted/licensed to outside operators and the state receives it's own 'commission'.

Not sure the Feds could run internet gambling either. They try to run a government as it is by 'gambling' on their decisions and programs. How successful has THAT been ... ?? :eek:

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, I'm not kidding. I don't know what makes you think I would be.

Today's state lotteries used to be the illegal numbers racket, a big source of revenue for Organized Crime. Now, the states took over that business and killed two birds with one stone. They took a bite out of Organized Crime, and put a ton of money to work for the public good. It also helps small businesses who get a comission on ticket sales.

I don't see why the Federal Government should accept a small piece of a big pie, when they can start their own pie and keep a bigger piece. Online gambling sites, located offshore, profit organized crime and foreign investors. It's no better than the revenue drain created by buying foreign oil.

We already have a huge national debt and a huge foreign trade deficit. This would close both gaps, and probably bring in substantial revenues from offshore players, rather than sending substantial revenues offshore.

Read the Constitution, more specifically the 10th amendment.

Nickmond

Nickmond

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know one thing for sure, the current system of denouncing internet gambling isn't doing anything for anybody. Any movement to a more progressive system would be an improvement.

GDRileyx

GDRileyx

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Read the Constitution, more specifically the 10th amendment.

By your 10th ammendment argument, the Feds couldn't run internet gambling, or regulate it either. They also couldn't have bought 80% of IAG, bailed out Bear-Stearns, or be waging undeclared wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. They couldn't have built the Interstate freeways, implimented anti-trust legislation or enforced the Emancipation Proclamation.

The truth is, the 10th Ammendment was essentially repealed by the Civil War. That was the end of the Sovereign States and the beginning of Federal Sovereignty.

W

WCFields

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Current Mega Millions Jackpot
trans.gif

Friday,
02/27/2009

$171
Million

About $43,000,000 for Uncle Sam.

I'm sure Uncle Sam would be tickled pink with a penny a hand.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By your 10th ammendment argument, the Feds couldn't run internet gambling, or regulate it either. They also couldn't have bought 80% of IAG, bailed out Bear-Stearns, or be waging undeclared wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. They couldn't have built the Interstate freeways, implimented anti-trust legislation or enforced the Emancipation Proclamation.

The truth is, the 10th Ammendment was essentially repealed by the Civil War. That was the end of the Sovereign States and the beginning of Federal Sovereignty.

Yet our Presidents still swear an oath to uphold the Constitution which still includes the 10th amendment. Sorry but we're a Constitutional Republic, and I like to think our Constitution has meaning. I'm sure you're fine with Gitmo and the likes too right? You set a dangerous precedent. If the Constitution is the only thing that limits government from becoming authoritarian, we should be on guard for each and every intrusion the government makes that they are not given the power to do. This includes bailing out banks, the involuntary servitude threat that is the selective service, federal intrusion into education, and yes the federal government intruding in the online poker business. The next step is you aren't allowed to burn the flag. Then you aren't allowed to support Communism. Then you aren't allowed to criticize the government. Then you're not allowed to own a firearm. Sooner or later the Constitution is dead and we are no better than any other dictatorship. I prefer to think that oaths still have some meaning, and that the Constitution should not just be ignored. There's an amendment process for a reason. If it has support, why not amend the Constitution to get rid of the 10th (and probably the 9th)?

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling