Straight draws and Flush draws are so tricky.

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anytime I have a potential straight or flush I'm extremely bipolar with it. Sometimes ill play it aggressive when I see 2 of the cards on the board of the flop or turn. And all I need is that one card to complete it. If I have a Ace hoping for either a nut straight or nut flush at times I lose my discipline and go all in feeling and thinking that one card is going to give me that straight or flush depending which I'm trying to play for.

I end up either wasting half of my bankroll or at times losing it all cause somebody either has a high pair or two pair and beyond. All because my straight draw or flush draw final card doesn't want to show up. I'm getting better nowadays to just wait and see if it shows up because you just never know. I swear they are the devil sometimes.

How do you guys play your straight or flush draws?

L

LosJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play by paying attention to the odds in most cases. But I feel you. But in tournaments I'm to anxious, calling or betting my draws

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like most situations in poker, "it depends"... how many opponents are still in the hand? Are they aggressive players or passive? Are they calling stations willing to pay us off if we hit, or are they nitty careful players who might not call our bet if we catch? All these factors can make-or-break our draw and influence our decision. Obviously, it will change each time we're in this spot and we might make very different decisions each time it happens. If there are 5 players to the flop, we probably want to be chasing everything just because of direct pot odds being offered. But if we're heads up against just one player, then their tendencies become very important. Aggressive opponents are going to probably make us pay full price, or more, to see the next card or two. That's bad of course. A passive opponent might graciously allow us to get to the river, or we might even be able to miss our draw but still bluff them off the pot. These are only two examples of many that can wildly change things. Hope that helps, good luck!

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like most situations in poker, "it depends"... how many opponents are still in the hand? Are they aggressive players or passive? Are they calling stations willing to pay us off if we hit, or are they nitty careful players who might not call our bet if we catch? All these factors can make-or-break our draw and influence our decision. Obviously, it will change each time we're in this spot and we might make very different decisions each time it happens. If there are 5 players to the flop, we probably want to be chasing everything just because of direct pot odds being offered. But if we're heads up against just one player, then their tendencies become very important. Aggressive opponents are going to probably make us pay full price, or more, to see the next card or two. That's bad of course. A passive opponent might graciously allow us to get to the river, or we might even be able to miss our draw but still bluff them off the pot. These are only two examples of many that can wildly change things. Hope that helps, good luck!

Good post thank you!

U

Ultfrozen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to assume what your opponent thinks about your hand, and if you have already started playing aggressively, then you can logically finish, sometimes all in ) but if the opponent is an unyielding strong regular, it makes sense to give up, since he can read you and not throw off the top couple, for example, everything is difficult)

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
Anytime I have a potential straight or flush I'm extremely bipolar with it. Sometimes ill play it aggressive when I see 2 of the cards on the board of the flop or turn. And all I need is that one card to complete it. If I have a Ace hoping for either a nut straight or nut flush at times I lose my discipline and go all in feeling and thinking that one card is going to give me that straight or flush depending which I'm trying to play for.

I end up either wasting half of my bankroll or at times losing it all cause somebody either has a high pair or two pair and beyond. All because my straight draw or flush draw final card doesn't want to show up. I'm getting better nowadays to just wait and see if it shows up because you just never know. I swear they are the devil sometimes.

How do you guys play your straight or flush draws?[/QU

that's why its essential to know your odds when in a pot, i follow Daniel, Ivey, Tonka and a few others and what i have come to realize is when your odds are really high if you bust it is what it is you played the had well it takes years of experience to get away from certain hands

P

pwalker4201977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play them very carefully, try not to get in too deep

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play them very carefully, try not to get in too deep

I'm just gonna do this and manage my bankroll with them carefully. Times I've made a bundle of money from the pot other I threw 70% of it away just gonna be more careful, conscious, and safe with it.

Subel007

Subel007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on situation.sonetimes you should be agressive to win a pot with a draw,sometimes you must play passively,to see turn and river cheaply

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

How do you guys play your straight or flush draws?

Thank you for posting

You will improve on how you play your straight draws when you focus on the Villain's range not your hand.

When we do this we will know when raising our draws has fold equity and if we have over card equity as well then we play more aggressively.

So if you have notes on hands take the time to study those spots by building ranges for you V's for each spot.

Hope this helps
:):)

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really depends on your stack and position in a tournament for example. The odds are 4 to one on getting it on the river remember if you have 4 same suited cards.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too general a question, it depends a lot on the opponent, board structure and hand flow. If I were you, I would try to work with a coach. He will be able to offer you a sane concept under what circumstances (actions on previous streets, your position, stack sizes) and types of opponents you have to make one decision or another.

DTaboada

DTaboada

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Thats poker! A good Portimonense of luck is always necessary, of course. Important to remember that only one player will be the winner against all other competitors. Most important thing for me is to administrate your stake and variance. Raising slowly much as you can.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah i have the same, sometimes the odds to good to fold... and boom you hit nothing, sometimes you just have to fold cause you are like.. im not going to hit it its thought but sometimes you have to do it,

I have had a few times i had like 20 flushdraws and it didnt hit a single time and you are like is this even real?

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually, I don't chase the illusion of closing a flush draw or a straight draw, but I try to beat my opponent and if the straight draw or flush draw still closes, then I get more chips from my opponent.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the situation.
Controlling it may control poker as a whole.

Full Flush Poker