Stoxpoker/Stoxtrader Scandal

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh come on there's basically no chance of this happening. explaining that seeing everyone else's holecards gives you an advantage in poker to average guy #9843567 is one thing, explaining how some guy who was an employee of a poker training site could gain an advantage by colluding and why he's suspected of colluding is another thing entirely. i mean even the people at 2p2 are arguing over whether any potential advantage is negligible or not. just like the Absolute Poker scandal would never have broken into the mainstream without the 'smoking gun' of the hand history file with all holecards that was 'mistakenly' sent out (because without this it would have been a nightmare to explain to joe public exactly why people thought that potripper et al was a superuser), this won't either, and i don't see how such a smoking gun can even exist in this case unless stox(trader) comes out with completely full disclosure (which will never happen).

I agree for the most part that this probably won't become a newsworthy story all by itself. This coupled with a few more things - like the Cardrunners' (Isildur1) and Jason Ho ordeals could potentially be put together for a segment, which wouldn't look favorably towards poker - that's all I'm saying.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty sure he mentioned in his well that he's against migrating accounts, but I doubt he'll comment specifically on this situation

Edit - Lol after seeing that ridiculous term 'migrating accounts' so much in the 2p2 thread I've started using it. It's not 'migrating accounts' it's MAing

If you had said that you woulda lost me. Not up on that lingo.

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever money is involved people cheat / steel to get it.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yah.... alot of interesting discussion on this. Makes one wonder if others on Stoxpoker must've known that this guy was a multi-accounter, considering they'd been playing with them for years??? Lots of other interesting stuff being discussed about it I've been reading up on. I wonder what the outcome will be?? (I never did get a 'free poker training' membership.. via FT ftp's).

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Pretty sure you misheard this or someone was talking out of their ass again. I mean this COULD happen but my guess is that FTP hasn't even begun their investigation as of yet.

Really? out of their ass?? (hmm.. attempting to physically picture this... actual words or perhaps just lip sync?).
I actually heard this too... maybe more folks communicating from wrong orifice?

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wise i was a cool mod and understood inside jokes :(

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that "serious and personal" crap really doesn't wash.

I don't get it:confused:

I think he was "serious" about muti-accounting and "personal" about benefiting from it and screwing everybody. He'll most likely be a red pro by the end of the month considering the FTP already has red pros that have admitted to muti-accounting.

He'll keep his money and the employees of stox poker will get screwed when business drops. Don't think banning him for life and taking his money to punish him and set a example will cross there mind.

Just a big joke.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get it:confused:

I think he was "serious" about muti-accounting and "personal" about benefiting from it and screwing everybody. He'll most likely be a red pro by the end of the month considering the FTP already has red pros that have admitted to muti-accounting.

He'll keep his money and the employees of stox poker will get screwed when business drops. Don't think banning him for life and taking his money to punish him and set a example will cross there mind.

Just a big joke.

Well thats the real shame, that the damage is already done to the name. UB might be the best site on the web but after all the scandal I know I dont have it on my pc. When I can afford to become a member of such a site this is the first thing I will remember (I do not know much abut the training sites). Not that I wouldnt way up the pros and cons before I made such a move but it will tarnish the rep a bit.

And from what I read in some places maybe some people will want to emulate the guy:confused: lol, though I dont think poker players will get any worse or better a rep than they already do. Lets face it alot of people think that poker is just degens throwing money away (the poker sites just take all the money lol!). Not many people know about the positive side of poker like the charities that have been set up or just individuals, Budda and leatherass to name two recently taking time to grind for good causes.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really? out of their ass?? (hmm.. attempting to physically picture this... actual words or perhaps just lip sync?).
I actually heard this too... maybe more folks communicating from wrong orifice?

Link??? Until it's just more than random rumors, it's just people talking out their asses. I mean I heard they were going to draw and quarter Stox at 1st light tomorrow but I won't believe it until I see the video.

And some people ITT have short memories if they don't "get" the joke.

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Link??? Until it's just more than random rumors, it's just people talking out their asses. I mean I heard they were going to draw and quarter Stox at 1st light tomorrow but I won't believe it until I see the video.

And some people ITT have short memories if they don't "get" the joke.

My memory is insanely short. Elaborate please?

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh jeez, let's play a fun game called forget i ever said anything, k?

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Warning to all mods/admins in this thread to behave. :)

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that "serious and personal" crap really doesn't wash.

Meh.

People having multiple accounts is far from unique. Including reputable people and many regulars at small stakes. Most of the time it's to get rakeback on a new account instead of no rakeback on the old one. Even the poker site - who are the victims there - don't consider that a major offense and typically just transfer the funds instead of confiscating them, which they could according to their terms of use.

The reason why one has multiple accounts is usually where the line gets draws in terms of bringing down his reputation. It's really an issue when it gives you an unfair advantage over your opponents. And honestly, that's only relevant for mid and high stakes where all the players know each other pretty well. That's why stoxtrader multiaccounting is a big issue - regardless of the other reasons he might have had to multiaccount - while it's a non event when a small stakes reg gets caught.

joe steady

joe steady

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BelgoSuisse-
As someone who plays stakes over 50nl, do you feel that MA is fairly commonplace? If so, would you care to elaborate? I'm not trying to put you on the spot, you are a tremendously respected member of this forum and I'm just a noob, but I'm very interested in this because I suspect it's more widespread than most sites would care to admit.

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To those who care, stoxpoker will no longer exist after May. They are being folded into CardRunners.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To those who care, stoxpoker will no longer exist after May. They are being folded into CardRunners.
This :/.
They say there gonna transfer all acounts over and current subscribers wont be hit with a prize bumb.
Interesting to see how this will effect truelyfreepokertraining

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This :/.
They say there gonna transfer all acounts over and current subscribers wont be hit with a prize bumb.
Interesting to see how this will effect truelyfreepokertraining
From what Alex Huang and the CR dude (can't remember his name) on the Stox forums were saying as of yesterday, they assume TFPT will continue to provide free CR memberships at the current 5500 point level, but that ultimately it's up to FTP. So those that earned just enough to get Stox for 3000 FTPs will have to put in a little more to continue to get CR for 5500, but otherwise it doesn't appear to be a bad deal (I've been earning enough to get both anyway, so not a biggie for me personally).

My greater concern is what content and coaches will move over. CR has typically catered to medium/high stakes players, so Stox was more suited for those of us grinding it out at micro/low stakes. From what they're saying, not all content will be transferred over, nor most likely will all coaches, so they're not yet certain how well the micro/low games will be represented there.

So if you've got Stox now and want to stock up on videos from your favorite coaches, I'd recommend using a utility or browser plugin like DownloadHelper to grab the streaming Flash videos while you can. I've been doing this instead of the Windows Media videos for awhile now, because their sucky DRM doesn't work on my main PC no matter what I try. And now they're saying the Stox DRM on the WMV videos won't work for CR so you'd have to download them all again anyway. There is no DRM on the Flash vids and they're the same quality.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The coaches thing is up in the air. I can tell you 1 mod who will be getting transferred over though.

gnk2727

gnk2727

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If true this is horrible news. It just gives lawmakers more avenues to point fingers at for reasons why online poker shouldnt be allowed. All it ever takes is one a-hole to ruin it for the rest of the bunch. What a crying shame.