Starting and/or playing too low

W

William Martin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been giving this some thought this week.

What do you guys think about either

- Starting with a bankroll that is "too low"
- Or playing at a limit that is "too low".

What I mean by too low, is that - if you are playing microstakes it can become very difficult to play "well" consistantly, mainly because, in some cases - you don't care at all about the money that is being lost.

Taken in the bankroll context, if for example you start a bankroll with $100 or $200 to many, this is just an insignificant sum of money and there again it is easy to play badly because you are not that bothered if you lose the money.

This is obviously a bad attitude, as you should play your best every time you sit down, but I am thinking that this is easier said than done. When I sit down at the table and the money means something to me - then I generally play 100 times better than if I'm being in for $10 at a microstakes game and I couldn't care less if I lose my money or not. It just like playing with matches.

So what do you guys think. I'm burning through these small deposits because I can't seem to play well consistently for such small stakes. Should I put together a bankroll that would hurt if I lost it, therefore motivating me to

1) Play better poker
2) excercise better bankroll management?

INterested in your thoughts.

Martin.