What is your definition of slow roll?

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the conventional sense, this is a deliberate delaying of the course with nats! But personally, it does not cause any emotions for me! I don't keep track of how fast the opponent responds to my actions! He uses his timebank and this is his right!

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Copied from the web - Automatic Poker.
Here are three specific examples of ways that a player can slow roll an opponent while holding a strong hand:
  • Pausing on the river after facing a big bet or all-in
  • Calling quickly but then taking a long time to turn over the winning cards
  • Pretending to be disappointed or admitting defeat at any point after the bet or all-in before turning over the winning hand.
Slow rolling is frowned upon because it plays a trick on a person at the exact moment that he or she is losing a lot of money or chips at the poker table. It adds unnecessary duress onto what may already be an emotional time for a player. Basically, when you delay showing a strong hand you give your opponent a false sense of hope that the pot will be going his way. At the poker table, nothing is crueler.

Last edited:
D

Dandadandan

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Copied from the web - Automatic Poker.
Here are three specific examples of ways that a player can slow roll an opponent while holding a strong hand:
  • Pausing on the river after facing a big bet or all-in
  • Calling quickly but then taking a long time to turn over the winning cards
  • Pretending to be disappointed or admitting defeat at any point after the bet or all-in before turning over the winning hand.
Slow rolling is frowned upon because it plays a trick on a person at the exact moment that he or she is losing a lot of money or chips at the poker table. It adds unnecessary duress onto what may already be an emotional time for a player. Basically, when you delay showing a strong hand you give your opponent a false sense of hope that the pot will be going his way. At the poker table, nothing is crueler.

Yeah this or the tried and true movie trope where the winner says defeatedly "oh all I got are two small pair, fives and ..... (dramatic pause) fives LOLOLOL"

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is your definition of slow roll?

I think we all sort of know what it is even if everyone defines it slightly differently. I'd probably define it as something like:

"Deliberately slowing the natural pace of the game on a decision which is inconsequential and usually (but not necessarily) with your hand being the perceived best hand."

The classic example is facing an All-In bet on the River and you hold the stone nuts, but take forever to reveal it. This is poor sportsmanship and a slowroll because you are last to act and you already know your decision to call with the absolute nuts. There is nothing objective to the game gained by wasting everyone else's time here.

This would be different if other(s) were left to act after your decision when a bit of "Hollywooding" might convince others to get involved and build the pot further for you. Most good players see through this obvious act, but at least there is some merit to this. It is strategy of the game, whereas slowrolling doesn't change the outcome.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah this or the tried and true movie trope where the winner says defeatedly "oh all I got are two small pair, fives and ..... (dramatic pause) fives LOLOLOL"

Pair of fives and a pair of fives...wait, that is Four of a Kind!? Did they have 55, 55 xx, or 5555? :D

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I don't really care how long it takes the player in front of me or after me to make a decision. After all, poker is also about patience. And if you are disappointed when you lose then I don't think it would change anything if the player would have played faster. Poker is also a game of deception where you can / should / may bluff. It is important that the opponent receives as little information as possible about what you have in hand and how you are playing

samersv

samersv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
slowroll is a crime against the rest of the poker world and should be severely punished with a fine of 25 BB:) :):)GL!!!

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone gave the correct definition of this slow-motion game. But I got used to poker for a long time, that I do not even pay attention to these tricks, but I will put a note.