Slow Playing Pocket AA

B

beefcake413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually it's very plausible to slow play big hands (AA, KK etc) as long as you have enough discipline to get away from them if you don't hit and someone gives you an indication that your pair is no good. the problem with these big hands is that people get married to them and refuse to believe that they can be beaten, i.e. even if 3 suited cards or 3 cards to a straight hit the flop, AA or KK must still be good...

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never slowplayed AA and somehow still end up being beat every time I have them, I dont know but in my opinion I think its ok to try the slow play at first, then BAM! hit them with an all in!

Thats terrible

BAM All-in

OK im asuming you mean to slowplay preflop and thenshove the flop.

In a SS game, thats fine... its expected.. but in a deeper game noone is calling an all-in with a lower pair. Even 2 pair is a struggle.

You are simply polarising your betting in a way ahead / way behind situation.

If you are ahead then the bet size is large enough to fold out all lesser hands.. you win a pot that you would likely have won at showdown. Charge a draw.. but BAM all-in .. its just too polarised.

Now hands that beat you.. sets . they arent folding.

So its not a +ev play. You are either shoving into a pot you are already winning and forcing out everyone who you beat, or you are offering your money on a plate to better hands.

BAM all-in is not a great move

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't mean that I am slowplaying here to creep into the money. I meant because players are willing to push allin if they hit anything on the flop and most times this is a great way to trap an opponent with the AA. Personally I think when I do decide to play AA this way it is the exact opposite of trying to creep into the money, because it is a higher risk play with high reward.

Okay, I see what you're saying now. Yeah I did think you were referring to just getting in the money before taking any risks.

Yes, what you say makes sense. Try to trap during a time when you know there's going to be some aggression to make the most +ev.

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I slow played, got burnt and never ever seem to learn.

I will say when it works it is worth the wait.

OK then lets try a more aggressive play. I got AA in the first hand in a tourny the other night, play the raise and still got burned. Go figure!

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thats terrible

BAM all-in

In a deeper game no one is calling an all-in with a lower pair. Even 2 pair is a struggle.

You are simply polarising your betting in a way ahead / way behind situation.

If you are ahead then the bet size is large enough to fold out all lesser hands.. you win a pot that you would likely have won at showdown. Charge a draw.. but BAM all-in .. its just too polarised.

Now hands that beat you.. sets . they arent folding.

BAM all-in is not a great move

Exactly

:D :D :D

T

The Muppetteer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow playing AA is always dangerous as you can get out flopped by any hand that limps in.

I would only slow play AA in certain situations.

1. I am in late position (CO or later) and it has been folded to me.

2. The table is short handed.

3. I am able to fold the hand or make a find out where I am bet or raise on the flop.

3. I know I am going to flop the nuts (LOL).

Slow playing AA does have its advantages such as the obvious that it disguises the strength of your hand. But also it allows you to get away from the hand if you get out flopped, such as you have the 2 red AA and the flop is all spades.

For me slow playing is a good thing to do to mix up your game but I wouldnt be doing it too often.

The Muppetteer

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should never slowplay pf, and depending on your position and the cards on the flop you might be able but rarely can slowplay aces

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have tried slowing playing pocket AA and somehow I alway endup losing.I only slow play against one opponent but he endup with a straight or flush this happened like 3 or 4times before,I want to know if you guys think slowing AA is a good idea or I just not good enough to slow play AA because I haven't been playing poker long.
Now you know why i stop slow playing AA, i will beat your aces with J8, and 10 3.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Doyle Brunson once said (about pocket Aces): “You can either win a small pot or lose a big one.” Your raise should take down the pot right there or at least narrow down the competition to only one or two other players seeing the flop.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't slow play aces because...well, reading your post you've found out several times why not. If you have a pocket full of bullets fire them fast.