Sitting Out For A Few Hands During Tournaments

Sysvr4

Sysvr4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it makes that much difference one way or another. I'm a bit of a fatalist, so I assume that while I may miss AA or KK from time to time, I also miss out on an equivalent number of hands where I would go broke. Please note I'm not saying the two are mutually exclusive :)

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it makes that much difference one way or another. I'm a bit of a fatalist, so I assume that while I may miss AA or KK from time to time, I also miss out on an equivalent number of hands where I would go broke. Please note I'm not saying the two are mutually exclusive :)

We don't directly profit from being dealt Aces or Kings. We profit from the mistakes of our opponents.

You may lose chips while you are playing or sitting out but you can't accumulate chips unless you are playing.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We don't directly profit from being dealt Aces or Kings. We profit from the mistakes of our opponents.

You may lose chips while you are playing or sitting out but you can't accumulate chips unless you are playing.

The devil's advocate in me says you can't make your own mistakes (other than autofolding big hands, obv) while you're sitting out either and your opponents will only be acquiring your chips at the minimum rate, so again it pretty much evens out and I maintain that missing a few hands really isn't that big of a deal.

And if it was a big deal, pros would never ever show up late to a live tournament.

T

tacchini

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For a while, I thought that is easier to wait a nice hand then to play at almost every hand, but i was wrong. If u wait a good hand, the chances are smaller to win. U cand have part pf a bad bit and u will loose more than playing hand by hand or almost.

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The devil's advocate in me says you can't make your own mistakes (other than autofolding big hands, obv) while you're sitting out either and your opponents will only be acquiring your chips at the minimum rate, so again it pretty much evens out and I maintain that missing a few hands really isn't that big of a deal.

And if it was a big deal, pros would never ever show up late to a live tournament.

How many hands do you think we should "sit out" to give us the best chance to win the tournament?;)

We can't determine whether we have a positive or negative expectation for the next 50 hands we are going to play. But, we can determine our expectation for the next 50 hands we sit out. It's negative.

I don't think missing a few hands is that big of a deal either but... OP was rationalizing sitting out as a tactic to avoid bad decisions made from tiredness or boredom. A better tactic would be getting mentally/physically prepared to play our A-game for the duration.

DaBigBoss

DaBigBoss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree to sitting out in the beginning because of the rag hands that catch, but only in large freerolls...brick and mortar , I never let a hand pass by!

P

Pacman1042

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DONT SIT OUT, i know its tempting sometimes but i learned today when i was dominating the table and decided to take a break, i came back and i was one of the small stacks at the table because the blinds went up every five min, luckily i was playing really well and managed to gain my stack back

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands